Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

A problem with UAV Forecast Kp Index?

I've seen this before.
Hey I flew on the 14th, 25minutes 17 seconds. It was overcast that day. Kp shows 6 and 7.
My drone flew perfectly like always. Good ol reliable H !!:cool:

Just got back from having a fly. Checked UAV Forecast and it said 4. Checked another and it said one. Something is wrong with UAV Forecast.
if an hour has gone buy it will no longer reflect any data. ie from 9 to 10am data gone. it will now only show data 10 am forward 24 hours.

Just got back from having a fly. Checked UAV Forecast and it said 4. Checked another and it said one. Something is wrong with UAV Forecast.

Commit to only one source, and base your log from that.

Ok, flew at 2.27pm with Kp 6.
No problem taking off and hovering.
flew around for 11 minutes 47 seconds at 100 feet.
Came in to land, a bit of slow continuous drift, no problem hand catching.
Also another view of my no glare screen thingamajig.
Time.jpg

No Glare.jpg

I was going to fly today. Kp was low, but then........

View attachment 16594
The weather here in the North of England has been quite good this last few days. cloudless sky Tuesday and Wednesday and scattered clouds today. Been flying this last three days back to back. Chance of showers tomorrow and more prolonged rain Saturday so it looks like Sunday will be the earliest I can have a fly now.

Ok, flew at 2.27pm with Kp 6.
No problem taking off and hovering.
flew around for 11 minutes 47 seconds at 100 feet.
Came in to land, a bit of slow continuous drift, no problem hand catching.
Also another view of my no glare screen thingamajig.
View attachment 16595

View attachment 16596
Apart from a bit of toilet bowl yesterday (fixed with a compass calibration) my TH has flown rock steady this last few days no matter the Kp. I recon that when a TH is working as it should, and you know how to fly one, there's nothing that can beat it in it's price range.

Reactions: AH-1G
What effect does kp has on drones? I don’t check this anymore.
@RPR KP index is something that, in theory, would effect your GPS. It has to do with Geomagnetic storms.
The K-index, and by extension the Planetary K-index, are used to characterize the magnitude of geomagnetic storms. Kp is an excellent indicator of disturbances in the Earth's magnetic field and is used by SWPC to decide whether geomagnetic alerts and warnings need to be issued for users who are affected by these disturbances.

The principal users affected by geomagnetic storms are the electrical power grid, spacecraft operations, users of radio signals that reflect off of or pass through the ionosphere.

For more info Google it! Whoops... didn't look at the previous threads apparently you did! lol

Last edited:
Reactions: AH-1G
This morning I checked UAV Forecast ready for a couple of flights over Crompton Moor and was a bit disappointed to see that it was saying the Kp was at five...I don't fly if the Kp is at five or above. Just to be sure I checked other sources for Kp values, three different web sites: one from Germany, one from Boulder Colorado, and one in the U.K. They were all showing a Kp of one or two.

I don't know where UAV Forecast gets it's data from but today it was clearly wrong...by a long shot. I decided to go with the value from the U.K. web site Current geomagnetic activity in the UK and across the globe and ignore the Kp value from UAV Forecast.

It was also interesting to see that yesterday UAV Forecast was showing a Kp of one but the U.K. web site above showed it as SIX at the time I flew yesterday. I no longer trust UAV Forecast with regard to Kp index. If it was wrong yesterday and today, just how often have I been flying with a Kp at five or above?
I live in Maryland USA near Washington DC. UAV always reports 3-4-5 Kp index in our area.

@RPR
The principal users affected by geomagnetic storms are the electrical power grid, spacecraft operations, users of radio signals that reflect off of or pass through the ionosphere.

The above is the reason I do not think our little aircraft are impacted as much by kP index as we have been led to believe. Our radio transmissions are low altitude, relatively short range, and clear, direct path. Although GPS can be affected it is not required for us to fly effectively.

Reactions: jcommstudios
Plus, let's face it, for our stuff the effect on GPS is likely small and our GPS is not all that accurate so the overall impact is likely not that big of a deal. Plus it has no impact on the command and control RF signals. I have never once heard of someone having an issue with 2.4 GHz radio signals due to solar storms.

Reactions: AH-1G and PatR
In this case... kp index is more than just a myth, and flyaways that cannot be explained has entered the realm of the twilight zone.

So I can stop smearing SPF 100 all over my H+ on high Kp days?

Reactions: AH-1G and PatR

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval