Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass error land immediately.

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Yesterday I got a compass error message. I thought it may have been where I was flying. The H was about 10 feet above the inlet to the harbor and a lot of metal around. Once I throttled up and it raised above the metal poles it was good the rest of the day.
This morning about 30 seconds after turning the drone on I got the same message. The camera didn't even connect yet. It went away and seems to drift now.
The H has the external GPS square puck on top of the cover. Is it on its way out? Should I get another before this one fails completely? Maybe try another compass calibration? I have only done one since I received it.
Thank you in advance.
Pete.

P.S. I did a search for compass error message and got nothing about the compass or error. 5000 threads about message.

I also get this message from time to time. I just turn off the drone for a few seconds and restart, all is good after that.
Never had issues once I do this.

The warning can mean:
1. The compass needs a calibration.
2. The area near the launch zone has magnetic interference.

In your case it may be both. Take the H to an open grassy area with no possible interference and do a calibration.
It is very unlikely the compass (GPS module) is failing.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Hi guys.
Yesterday I got a compass error message. I thought it may have been where I was flying. The H was about 10 feet above the inlet to the harbor and a lot of metal around. Once I throttled up and it raised above the metal poles it was good the rest of the day.
This morning about 30 seconds after turning the drone on I got the same message. The camera didn't even connect yet. It went away and seems to drift now.
The H has the external GPS square puck on top of the cover. Is it on its way out? Should I get another before this one fails completely? Maybe try another compass calibration? I have only done one since I received it.
Thank you in advance.
Pete.

P.S. I did a search for compass error message and got nothing about the compass or error. 5000 threads about message.
Calibrate it, may need too. If you move location.

Thank you guys.
Next time I get a chance I will do another compass calibration. It was only about five feet above the water following a school of bait fish when it first happened. I wonder if the combination of saltwater and the aluminium floats of the harbor threw it out of whack? I haven't gone more than 15 miles as the crow flies from the first calibration.
Do you still have to face north when calibrating the compass? I have seen several videos on the subject and some do and some don't tell you about facing north.

Thank you and stay safe.
Pete.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Only if you travel 50 to 100 miles or more, mostly east/ west or depending were the magnetic fields are.
I agree, no harm in recalibrating
Thank you guys.
Next time I get a chance I will do another compass calibration. It was only about five feet above the water following a school of bait fish when it first happened. I wonder if the combination of saltwater and the aluminium floats of the harbor threw it out of whack? I haven't gone more than 15 miles as the crow flies from the first calibration.
Do you still have to face north when calibrating the compass? I have seen several videos on the subject and some do and some don't tell you about facing north.

Thank you and stay safe.
Pete.
go where your heart takes, but if you don’t , face north

I do face North for a cal, but I don't think it really matters.
The Aluminum floats wouldn't affect the compass. Only ferrous metals or electrical cables will affect the magnetic field.

Reactions: johnnyb57
Hi guys.
Thank you in advance.
Pete.

P.S. I did a search for compass error message and got nothing about the compass or error. 5000 threads about

Learn to fly in atti mode…. Then you wouldn’t get those compass errors when getting close to the water ( in that area) I would practice this in field free of obstructions. Also when in doubt elevate. Creating distance between the craft and objects that might be causing problems normally corrects the issue. But if the issue persists the only way to recover the ac is fly back and land in atti mode… Rth will not work reliably if you have compass issues or GPS issues… also the same shots can be filmed in from a respectable distance and cropped in( zoomed) in post to give the appearance of being closer that your really are..

Learn to fly in atti mode…. Then you wouldn’t get those compass errors when getting close to the water ( in that area) I would practice this in field free of obstructions. Also when in doubt elevate. Creating distance between the craft and objects that might be causing problems normally corrects the issue. But if the issue persists the only way to recover the ac is fly back and land in atti mode… Rth will not work reliably if you have compass issues or GPS issues… also the same shots can be filmed in from a respectable distance and cropped in( zoomed) in post to give the appearance of being closer that your really are..
I was in Atti mode. So far I have never switched to smart mode or RTH. I have switched on collision avoidance but mostly fly without it.
If this weather would ever cooperate and not have any Dr. Appointments I can charge up a battery and go to the ball field and do a compass calibration.
I also want to try out the grey UV filter that finally arrived.

I would need a better computer to edit anything in post. As it sits now, the old laptop takes about 10 minutes to download a 5 minute video off the SD card. Playback is not that great either. Photos are really great though. I could probably edit them.
Thank you for the input.
Pete.

I believe I got to the bottom of the compass error. The other day was perfect for flying. When waiting for a battery to charge I decided to swap SD cards in the camera. I flipped the H on its back while over the foam backpack. The GPS unit came off. The double stick tape was barely holding it. I re applied some 3m VHB and stuck it down. I imagine the vibration was the source of the error. Why I never realized it was loose is beyond me. The wiring harness was basically the only thing keeping in place. The old tape kept it from sliding.
I took it to the playground with the grandkids, calibrated the compass and all is good. Rock steady now.
Thank you guys for all your help.
Pete.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis