Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass recalibration

Reaction score
I've had a problem similar to that of another member here... Can someone point out what's gone wrong?

I did a periodic check for updates on Saturday evening and as it suggests, I re-calibrated the compass after re-booting. All went swimmingly until I get through all the rotation steps - all green, it seems happy - to where it says reboot prior to flight. When I clicked reboot drone, I got a spoken error message "command denied during calibration, error 246" 24 times.
I tried manually rebooting but that doesn't work. Also made sure remote is connected to the drone and only about 35 feet away; so there should not be any communication issues. Drove 5 miles out to a field I own which has nothing around it and tried a couple more times just in case the locality (where I've re calibrated before) was causing a problem.

Any ideas? I've 2 jobs this week, and it will be embarrassing if I can't do one of them as it's a new client, the other appreciates that technical issues sometimes occur. Someone has suggested that the ST16 needs re calibrating but I think that's probably rubbish as the Summary screen suggest a Magnetometer error.

Last edited:
Oscar,

May I ask exactly what device you are told or are trying to reboot? My follow up question is: how is it possible not to be able to force a manual reboot?

The ST16s can be forced to reboot using the power button. If the H520 power button does not turn off the craft, pulling the battery will force it. In either case, there is only so much battery life, meaning eventually a shutdown must occur.

Please elaborate as to exactly what you are saying, if you would be so kind.

Jeff

Oscar,

May I ask exactly what device you are told or are trying to reboot? My follow up question is: how is it possible not to be able to force a manual reboot?

The ST16s can be forced to reboot using the power button. If the H520 power button does not turn off the craft, pulling the battery will force it. In either case, there is only so much battery life, meaning eventually a shutdown must occur.

Please elaborate as to exactly what you are saying, if you would be so kind.

Jeff
hi Jeff,

I think you misunderstand, after the Compass recal. you have to reboot the drone. If I use the screen option 'Reboot drone' the drone reboots but I have the compass error and the system says 'recalibrate compass'. If I manually reboot (this is force a reboot) after the recal, I get the same issue.

OscarCymru
UK PfCO & Retired ATPL Training Captain

So when you turn off the 520 and then restart it, you are getting a compass error?
When this happens, I move the bird about 20-30' and do the compass cal again. Then shut off the 520. When I turn it back on I walk away immediately so I don't cause any interference with the compass during boot.

Is this a new problem? Did the 520 fly well previously with no errors?

Reactions: Oscar Cymru and RPR
So when you turn off the 520 and then restart it, you are getting a compass error?
When this happens, I move the bird about 20-30' and do the compass cal again. Then shut off the 520. When I turn it back on I walk away immediately so I don't cause any interference with the compass during boot.

Is this a new problem? Did the 520 fly well previously with no errors?
Hi Steve, I did 3 big surveys with this drone last week, plus a night ops sortie so I'm certain it's an issue that's occurred since the firmware upgrade check. Definitely don't think it's an old issue. I've never had the problem, and have followed the same procedure I've always used to calibrate the compass. I'll have a go at the 'walk away' tomorrow but I'm fairly certain I'm far enough away already... 30-45 ft.

I'm certain it's an issue that's occurred since the firmware upgrade
It is definitely possible based your experience. Perhaps something went wrong with the update. You could downgrade the firmware to the previous version to see if the problem goes away.

Reactions: jcommstudios
Good advice Steve, I'll have a go but where do I find the previous version of the firmware?

Or you can download your OTA, reset your ST16s to factory and unpack the apk, and then the datapilot.

Second is find what the guys has shared on here. You want to DL autopilot to the camera. If you can find a step down version.

Third, use PX4 QGround control as your last resort.

Reactions: Oscar Cymru
Good advice Steve, I'll have a go but where do I find the previous version of the firmware?
I'm hopeful someone has saved the previous version. Or if there is someone who hasn't updated yet can copy the previous version from their ST16s.

I'll check mine. It may still have the older version.

Reactions: Oscar Cymru
Hi Steve, I did 3 big surveys with this drone last week, plus a night ops sortie so I'm certain it's an issue that's occurred since the firmware upgrade check. Definitely don't think it's an old issue. I've never had the problem, and have followed the same procedure I've always used to calibrate the compass. I'll have a go at the 'walk away' tomorrow but I'm fairly certain I'm far enough away already... 30-45 ft.
Walk away tried and didn't work. Tried it 3 times...

Now going to drink gin until I fall asleep and snore...

• Wow
Reactions: Steve Carr
You have a google drive link of a colleague where he is in charge of saving all the versions for problems of this type. In the help section you have it.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval