Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass

How many of you calibrate your compass every time you fly?
Hi Tom, I use to calibrate every flight,only now I just do it when I'm away from my home turf.its good to build up your telemetry,and sats.i most always let her hover close,for approx 3-5 mins.im only learning from the laws of a computer.she needs to boot up everytime.but there are I think different results from various methods.the best to me,you must have her on a super level spot for top notch calirabration.im sure you know this.my h tends to drift 7 or 8 feet every time it seems.but I've had like 150 flights with no crashes.i think the other guys might say something along these lines.i hope this gives you a new perspective? Rory over and out[emoji94]

Thanks rory, I use to calibrate every flight with my other drones but I read that if you are within 20 to 30 miles from your last calibrate that you didn't have to every time. Haven't had any drift problems yet, but it is early days. LOL

Thanks rory, I use to calibrate every flight with my other drones but I read that if you are within 20 to 30 miles from your last calibrate that you didn't have to every time. Haven't had any drift problems yet, but it is early days. LOL
You should not have to cal the compass unless you move hundreds of miles (in most locations around the world). If you get a compass warning, it is generally a localized issue from something buried in the ground, concrete or metal buildings. When you do the calibration it is simply making a correction for the earths magnetic variation at your lat-long. You can see in the graphic below the the variation does not change a great deal over long distances and traveling N-S even less.

MagneticDeclination.jpg

You should not have to cal the compass unless you move hundreds of miles (in most locations around the world). If you get a compass warning, it is generally a localized issue from something buried in the ground, concrete or metal buildings. When you do the calibration it is simply making a correction for the earths magnetic variation at your lat-long. You can see in the graphic below the the variation does not change a great deal over long distances and traveling N-S even less.

View attachment 9094
Thanks Steve!

If the st16 is too close to the h when it is being powered up, can it cause compass warnings?

If the st16 is too close to the h when it is being powered up, can it cause compass warnings?
It's doubtful unless you set the ST16 next to the H. If you just walk up, turn it on and walk back you should be fine. I always stay back 30' anyway. I've been known to bump the mode switch into Smart.

Reactions: TomC9000
On three occasions I got the compass warning when powering on the h and had the st16 right beside it and later realized I normally keep the controller 10-20 feet away
I will continue to pay close attention to it
Thanks Steve

Right. I turn it on and walk away. Stuff in my pockets might include a phone, vhf radio and lots of other metal stuff, like my knees and shoulder.

Sometimes I get a compass warning, even thought I'm generally in the same 100 mile radius, all I do is turn off the ST16 and then on again, no issues after that.:rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy