Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Complexity

Reaction score
Hello..Several questions, and I'm not sure how to divide them into "themes" or "topics", the language problem, using the automatic translator:

- how to test the range with the Typhoon H and its ST16?

- how to test the range of the video feedback on the ST16?

- the batteries, of the Typhoon H, mine, are slightly bulging. Is it a danger indicator? After charging, they are not hot at all. How to test them to make sure that everything is in order? The charger proposed by Huneec is primary, it does not allow the balance of the "cells" (the "S") I think.

- can we use other batteries, more powerful, to improve the autonomy?

Thanks to you and have a nice day.

Ok answer to your 1 & 2 questions always keep your H line of sight but with external antenna I have had my H at least 4 mile straight line video and all ok but I believe the H is capable of going further

Answer 3 if your battery's are swelling STOP using them and replace with new battery's

Answer 4 And usually with higher capacity battery you will only get a few minutes more but all depends on temperature and best way is before you fly keep your battery's warm get a cool bag and fill up ur hot water bottle put it in the cool bag and keep them warm before flight will help to get more out them

I suggest also to buy an aftermarket charger in order to put in storage batteries when not in use.
That's the only way to save your batteries.
Here is the EV-peak Dy3 duel charger you can put your batteries in storage mode with this I have 1 and it's all you will need in a charger and it has a usb port on the side so you can charge your st16 if you wish

Screenshot_20210412-135248.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rubik
There are many aftermarket chargers that can be used: mine is this one... Q200 Charger
Thank you all, I must indeed buy another charger. I will follow your advice; but here are two photos: I do not know if we realize on the 2 photos, but is that a swelling?

Attachments

• batterie1 Typhoon H.jpg
    batterie1 Typhoon H.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • batterie2 Typhoon H.jpg
    batterie2 Typhoon H.jpg
    778.1 KB · Views: 22
Ok answer to your 1 & 2 questions always keep your H line of sight but with external antenna I have had my H at least 4 mile straight line video and all ok but I believe the H is capable of going further

WOW!!!

Man, you must have incredible eyesight...you could see that Typhoon 4 miles away? That's amazing...

It was a Clear day and I had 2 spotters along the rural route but still convinced the H is capable of going further not sure what the range is with stock antennas tho
WOW!!!

Man, you must have incredible eyesight...you could see that Typhoon 4 miles away? That's amazing...

Ahh....so, you couldn't see it yourself then.....you were flying it by the screen?

I could see it to a point were my spotters took over via radio so I was screen flying while eyes on the ground had it but I no how far I can take it with that experience
Ahh....so, you couldn't see it yourself then.....you were flying it by the screen?

So, you were using Visual Observers to keep an eye on the aircraft....sort of a "Daisy Chain" type thing. The VO's were not actually "co-located" with you and you were not in "direct communication" with them.

Thank you all, I must indeed buy another charger. I will follow your advice; but here are two photos: I do not know if we realize on the 2 photos, but is that a swelling?
It's a beginning of swelling, that means very low reliability, I don't recommend to fly with those batteries, the main risk is to don't have enough power from "first low batt alarm" to recovery the drone and land, a fast drop of power could switch off the bird in very short time and cause it falling from the sky.
I would not risk my H for a bad battery, pls follow our suggestions (mine and of @Thomas111) and replace them asap.
Keep your batteries always in Storage when unused, don't recharge them when they are too hot (after a flight...) and don't recharge at 1C but at 1/2C, this extend their life.

Reactions: Thomas111
So, you were using Visual Observers to keep an eye on the aircraft....sort of a "Daisy Chain" type thing. The VO's were not actually "co-located" with you and you were not in "direct communication" with them.
Finally, the Typhoon H should be equipped with the "equipment" intended for long range flights. With Tracker "Eagle Tree" or "Long Range Dragonlink Micro RX System" or as the work of these young students and their excellent teacher, see the link:

file:///C:/Users/user/Desktop/tout%20aeromodelisme/FPV/TECHNOLOGIE%20-%20Coll%C3%A8ge%20Colette%20-%202-%20Utilisation%20d'une%20station%20de%20contr%C3%B4le%20au%20sol.html

Probably passsionable, feasible, the handicap being the autonomy of the batteries of the typhoon H; but it is to be dug...
Look at the possibilities of Ardupilot APM 2.6 (Arduino compatible) fabulous.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

To test the range put on the square wifi antenna (make sure you keep it pointed at the drone because its pretty directional), set your geofence to say 2000m and put in freshly charged, non-puffed battery.

Make sure you set the Return to home altitude to suit local conditions BEFORE you fly. That is that it is set for a height well above the trees, etc that may be in the way if / when the drone does its Return to Home because it lost comes with the controller.

Do all your calibrations and the take off and fly in a straight line away from from your position. Make sure the drone is at a height that keeps it above visual background.

One of two things will happen. The first is you will lose sight of your drone and have to bring it back to where you can see it. That is your maximum range. The second is less likely but if you have amazing eye sight the drone will fly until it loses comms with the controller and execute an RTL. Check the logs and that will show you what the maximum range was.

The most probable is that you will lose sight of the drone at somewhere between 600 and 1000 metres. That's your range..... and no, binoculars are not allowed to be used to extend your visual range.

If you have spotters with proper comms systems that is another story but you need to check with your local Aviation Authority to see what their requirements are re spotters.

I got my H out to just less than 1/2 mile flying over a canyon. At that distance it was a speck and had to depend on a spotter for visual. When I transitioned from the controller to visual it was difficult to reacquire a visual on the H. Got a good video of an old defunct mine in that flight.

The most probable is that you will lose sight of the drone at somewhere between 600 and 1000 metres. That's your range..... and no, binoculars are not allowed to be used to extend your visual range.
I thought that rangefinders and rangefinders binos would be helpful in a similar situation. Got some experience with Vortex(this model). Losing a drone is the worst thing that can happen, afraid of it

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval