Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Considering a H for training

Awesome Steve, thank you for that information.
Since you expect delivery soon, I should mention........on a first flight allow the H to sit, with the motors off after boot, for about 12.5 minutes. That allows time for the GPS to finish updating the almanac. It's possible the last coordinates stored in the H were from China. Anytime I haven't flown in a few weeks or I have changed locations by a few hundred miles, I allow extra time for GPS updating.

Reactions: PSUASI
I can't speak for your H but mine is limited to 400' AGL.

My understanding is that to go above 400' you need to present a 107 license to Yuneec and they'll give you the firmware update to enable you to fly higher.

Update the firmware and connect to the GUI to change as desired. Geo fence limits can be changed only via the GUI. A recreational flyer is not legally restricted to 400'. Nothing in Part 336 mandates that. The written law only applies that to commercial operators.

Update the firmware and connect to the GUI to change as desired. Geo fence limits can be changed only via the GUI. A recreational flyer is not legally restricted to 400'. Nothing in Part 336 mandates that. The written law only applies that to commercial operators.

Thanks, Pat.

I’m a Mac guy and I’m not interested in buying a Windows box or adding Parallels to go above 400’. It’s hard enough for me to see at 400’. :)

Bird came in today and I was able to use the GUI to set the altitude limit so if you take off from a lower elevation than where a structure sits to also account for visual inspection of said structure like that in the case of a active shooter the bird can still fly it without being fenced in.

Thanks for all the help here it was invaluable for sure and much appreciated.

Bird came in today and I was able to use the GUI to set the altitude limit so if you take off from a lower elevation than where a structure sits to also account for visual inspection of said structure like that in the case of a active shooter the bird can still fly it without being fenced in.
Thanks for all the help here it was invaluable for sure and much appreciated.
Not sure I follow all of that, but the altitude reading resets to zero when you start the motors. There is a barometric altimeter inside the H. It isn't terribly accurate and will change a bit with temperature. By the time you land the reading will probably not read zero.

Never trust the altimeter to be accurate at any time.

In case there was a question in your previous, the H has no issues with flying below the launching point.

Not sure I follow all of that, but the altitude reading resets to zero when you start the motors. There is a barometric altimeter inside the H. It isn't terribly accurate and will change a bit with temperature. By the time you land the reading will probably not read zero.
This is my understanding of the hight restricted to 400 feet. Ground level is at the take off spot. So if I need to see the roof of a 500 ft building the H would need to take off at 100 ft or more above ground level.
I am seriously thinking about getting an H. Prices seem to be falling quickly on standard units and even ones with RS can be had under a $1000 US.

If you need to see a roof 500' above the take off point simply alter the maximum allowed altitude by connecting the H to the GUI and altering what had been previously set in the GUI. If you set a 3000' altitude cap in the GUI the H will go there. Take a little time to explore and learn the tools that are associated with the H and a lot more versatility is easily achievable. You can change the scale used from meters to feet on another page of the GUI.GUI_ALT.jpg

We put the Typhoon H through 2 days of constant flight in our public safety school which is a one week 40 hour Part 107 and actual flight school.

Here is my take away on the TH system from these two days.......

- We were happy that you have a RC and control screen all in one to eliminate having to charge two separate items.

- We were happy with the flight times even though we did not totally drain batteries to end then replace we wanted to be able to keep charge cycle times down.

- We loved the ability to trim the bird unlike our other units.

- We do wish that the motor start/stop red button had a safety cap over it. Not that anyone had any issues but I could see someone in deep thought or otherwise possibly hitting that button for 2 seconds without even realizing with potential for catastrophe for sure. I am a safety person at my government job and trust me.....people can tear up a tank and also hit a unprotected button just as easily for 2-3 seconds!

- We loved the aftermarket battery options at 1/3 the cost for sure!

- We did use and expressed to the class how to use the rabbit and turtle mode in a mission to better assist your mission.

- We loved the stability of the system and as to flight, we had no issues with showing VLOS extreme or RTH function as well as POI ability.

Now to the one thing we found out during the first day of practical flight exercises........

- The temp was handing around 45 degrees and cool with a variable wind. The landing gear would not function and had us concerned. But second part of the day once the temp hit above 50 with the sun coming down the landing gear cycled as it should. So if anyone has not experienced this yet beware. We wondered if some other sensor was at play that the LG was tied into and it may be a question for Yuneec to answer and I will pose to them for sure. Our Inspire craft does not have this issue even in colder weather.

So overall the TH makes for a great bird to have in our business for teaching public safety Part 107 prep and actual flight over the period of two days.

Thank you all for your input from the beginning and hopefully in the future as we fade out other aircraft we will still have TH as a option to put into service to teach with.

Glad it all went well. Your attention to detail is the primary reason. The single critical issue with the H is the rather poor documentation.
There are lots of safety switch attachments listed on eBay for the Arming switch if you feel you need it.

The landing gear often does not work on the first few flights because the gear gets jammed during shipping. It's easy to check and get working if it happens again. Remove the camera and turn the H up-side-down. Operate the switch a few times and, if needed, wiggle the strut at the same time to free it up. When new, the actuators are very tight and loosen up after several cycles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy