Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Cool tool from the FAA

@redbird007
Airspace Restrictions

Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.

Last edited:
Hey people! The FAA has jurisdiction over all US airspace. If you have any doubts, please go to the following part of the FAA website and read for your own edification.

Where to Fly.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderChicken
You are correct DM. Not sure how he is interpreting the rules, they are very plane and simple.:confused: Must be and IQ issue.:eek:

More a case of denial to better serve personal interests.

When the FAA, with the approval of the government, named all of us as pilots they didn’t institute any new regulations on model aircraft. The FAA already owned all the airspace, along with areas around airports, and by naming us as pilots bound us to abide by them.

Sure, a recreational pilot can advise a tower or other ATC facility of their intent to fly. They can be instantly prohibited from doing so if the airspace provides ATC control of it. They don’t have to give a reason. Also, read the FAR’s to discover what constitutes “contact”. If you just left a message on an answering machine you did not make contact. You must have a response from that authority. Where Class B airspace is concerned you also need approval.

Last edited:
From that distance it would look like very small ants running around. To get any decent footage it would have to be a high dollar rig with a really good camera with a telescopic zoom lens.
They did have one knuckle head here locally that flew his bird into Papa Johns stadium and crashed into the crowd. I think the FAA still has his hide hanging from the side of the stadium!
It was a Phantom 4 that crashed.

Agreed! The post about stealing from cable tv and pro sports was tongue-in-cheek. Like most things in life, laws are enacted to protect the many from the few. So the 0 ceiling areas are there to protect against those that would exceed a posted altitude limit and interfere with manned flight, by denying any UAS flight in that area.

Flat-out incorrect. The restrictions apply only to Part 107 flights. From the facility map: "UAS operators requesting airspace authorization in accordance with 14 CFR 107.41 MUST apply at FAA.GOV/UAS." The FAA reauthorization legislation in 2012 specifically prohibited the FAA from enacting new rules governing recreational flights of drones. That was the basis for the D.C. appeals court's striking down the FAA rule requiring registration of recreational aircraft. Congress later enacted legislation that specifically authorized the FAA to require registration of all drone pilots.

If you don't believe me or the FAA's own documents, call your local air traffic control tower. My local tower has never questioned my altitudes, despite their often being higher than the rules for Part 107 flights.

Pat R is 100% correct about airspace restrictions. If you dont think he is correct go to a legal source:

Drone Attorney and Legal Assistance -

This guy is one of the leading lawyers in the U.S. for drone operations. His site is a wealth of information.

redbird with all do respect you need to wrap your head around the fact that the government through the FAA did not go to all the trouble to develop a system of restricted airspace for people who only FEEL like following it.

Thats like saying speed limits are only for people with drivers licenses. I have taken plently of unlicensed drivers to jail.

Also, if there were no limits on airspace its common sense DJI and other companies would not go to the expense to place nanny limits on their products.

They do this to limit their liability when a uneducated weekend warrior breaks airspace restrictions and smacks legal air traffic so they wont be sued.

Reactions: ThunderChicken
I will guarantee that the block that is ZERO altitude is a no fly zone. I have the waiver to fly in areas around the airport. At my house I am on the glide path to one of the freight worlds highest traffic airports. I can fly at my house up to 200 ft. You can almost see the rivets on the airplanes. In the down town area where the permissible ceiling was ZERO I could not even start my motors. I came back to the house and flew two batteries down to first warnings.
So it seems ZERO means ZERO!

If you can fly down there chances are you have hacked your bird!

Reactions: DoomMeister

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy