Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Correct me if I'm wrong about realsense ?

Reaction score
I've been flying my H for a few weeks and something that I've noticed is that in watch me mode or follow me mode is that the H does not rotate and adjust flight direction. It however uses the 360 deg gimbal to track the target. So my question is how is this going to work with realsense? The realsense points forward and there are IPS on the underside. Does the realsense rotate with the Gimbal? After looking at the pictures it appears to mount over the gimbal mount which would mean it is stationary? If not then this isn't going to work very well. I'm not sure but if anyone can clarify I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Kevin

It is stationary and points forward. It will work as it did in the demo video from many months ago where the Typhoon H follows a guy on a bike through a fake forest.

So what your saying is that when the realsense is on it will rotate the H instead of the gimbal so that the realsense is effective for obstacles avoidance? After watching the video I noticed a lot of white balls all over the H? The realsense module was facing away from the target. So,,, do you get the balls to put all over your H? lol.... I'm just curious,,, I think the H at the CES was beefed up for the show. Is there any video showing a current H with reasense? I don't believe it works the same as the CES H worked. The one at the show was incredibly responsive and had eyes in the back of it's head..... I love my H and think that Yuneec just needed to get out on the market since DJI was a little ahead of them and they needed to turn some heads. I'd put money the Realsense doesn't work nothing like the CES Show video.

There are some videos from earlier this year where the realsense is being tested outdoors.

The white balls were just packing material they were too lazy to remove :)

The realsense will always point forward. If you fly sideways into a wall, you're going to hit the wall. If you fly backwards into a wall, you're going to hit the wall.

Reactions: QuadBart
There are some videos from earlier this year where the realsense is being tested outdoors.

The realsense will always point forward. If you fly sideways into a wall, you're going to hit the wall. If you fly backwards into a wall, you're going to hit the wall.
Are you talking about the current obstacle avoidance system or the yet to be released Realsense module?

His title/subject line refers to "realsense"... and in the body of his post he specifically asks about realsense...

I think he wants to know how is "collision avoidance" going to work with realsense...

Are you talking about the current obstacle avoidance system or the yet to be released Realsense module?

Last edited:
Reactions: raymond captuo
Realsense.... thought I wrote that several times :)
Well then I am confused...sorry for attempting to get clarification on the area of coverage the realsense vision operates in. Apparently from your comments the forward field of view (whatever degree spread that is) is all that's considered in the 3D obstacle avoidance computations. If the operator stops a pauses for more than 30 seconds (according to the video) the realsense database loses knowledge of everything that's not in the current field of view, and could crash into anything outside of that view....? How exactly does that constitute a 360° avoidance system? Or have I misinterpreted the marketing info...

That was my question,,, in the video the H can see 360 degrees and avoids the post even with the realsense pointed away from it. So is it the memory of the post that is guiding the H? My H does not rotate the body when in watch me mode. It rotates the camera. I'm assuming the H rotates the body only when the Gimbal is to slow to keep the subject in frame. If this is true then the realsense will not avoid obstacles unless your moving so fast that the H needs to rotate. I'm not bashing the H or realsense. I just can't seem to settle on the whole video and true life operation. Makes me think maybe this realsense is not what people are going to expect. I'm interested in seeing this work outside of a controlled environment. Like I said... I bet it doesn't work nothing like the Video....

That was not packing material,,,,, lol,,, WTH?

That was my question,,, in the video the H can see 360 degrees and avoids the post even with the realsense pointed away from it. So is it the memory of the post that is guiding the H? My H does not rotate the body when in watch me mode. It rotates the camera. I'm assuming the H rotates the body only when the Gimbal is to slow to keep the subject in frame. If this is true then the realsense will not avoid obstacles unless your moving so fast that the H needs to rotate. I'm not bashing the H or realsense. I just can't seem to settle on the whole video and true life operation. Makes me think maybe this realsense is not what people are going to expect. I'm interested in seeing this work outside of a controlled environment. Like I said... I bet it doesn't work nothing like the Video....
I'm not trying to say it won't work...I'm just trying to understand the full scope of how it does. I'd love to have truly functional real-time avoidance built into the drone....but before I put down the cash I want to know the full story about how it does its magic.....and what limitations exists.

Well then I am confused...sorry for attempting to get clarification on the area of coverage the realsense vision operates in. Apparently from your comments the forward field of view (whatever degree spread that is) is all that's considered in the 3D obstacle avoidance computations. If the operator stops a pauses for more than 30 seconds (according to the video) the realsense database loses knowledge of everything that's not in the current field of view, and could crash into anything outside of that view....? How exactly does that constitute a 360° avoidance system? Or have I misinterpreted the marketing info...
Ahhhh....I see your confusion. Where did you get the idea that the intel realsense was a 360 degree obstacle avoidance?

I'm not trying to say it won't work...I'm just trying to understand the full scope of how it does. I'd love to have truly functional real-time avoidance built into the drone....but before I put down the cash I want to know the full story about how it does its magic.....and what limitations exists.
No magic at all. It avoids forward... the direction the realsense is pointing. It does not avoid up, down or in any area the realsense cameras are not looking. The realsense simply operates like our forward facing eyeballs and brain. We have two eyes so that we can see depth perception. When there is an object in our path our brain figures out how far away it is and if we should go around it, over it or under it based on our speed. That my friend is what realsense is.

Reactions: QuadBart
Ahhhh....I see your confusion. Where did you get the idea that the intel realsense was a 360 degree obstacle avoidance?
Oh...I don't know....maybe I got it from the the marketing literature that says....

"How it works
Typhoon H with Intel® RealSense™ technology builds a 3D model of the world, while navigating through it. Using a 3D model of its environment enables the drone to make intelligent choices about creating routes around obstacles.

Additionally, RealSense™ is capable of remembering its environment, further enhancing the prevention of possible collisions. It is not reactionary – if it avoids an obstacle once, it will remember the location of the obstacle and automatically know to avoid it."

"3D scan of it's surroundings"

When marketing literature includes works like "model of the world", "remembering its environment", and "scan it's surroundings"..... all of which describe by definition a 360° world, environment, surroundings....then I plead guilty of assuming their intention wasn't to make me wonder what the definition of "IS' is.... Apparently I was wrong.

No magic at all. It avoids forward... the direction the realsense is pointing. It does not avoid up, down or in any area the realsense cameras are not looking. The realsense simply operates like our forward facing eyeballs and brain. We have two eyes so that we can see depth perception. When there is an object in our path our brain figures out how far away it is and if we should go around it, over it or under it based on our speed. That my friend is what realsense is.
The video and literature indicate the drone changes elevation by itself....if its not measuring what if anything lies above...then how does it avoid a collision when there is?

Oh...I don't know....maybe I got it from the the marketing literature that says....

"How it works
Typhoon H with Intel® RealSense™ technology builds a 3D model of the world, while navigating through it. Using a 3D model of its environment enables the drone to make intelligent choices about creating routes around obstacles.

Additionally, RealSense™ is capable of remembering its environment, further enhancing the prevention of possible collisions. It is not reactionary – if it avoids an obstacle once, it will remember the location of the obstacle and automatically know to avoid it."

"3D scan of it's surroundings"

When marketing literature includes works like "model of the world", "remembering its environment", and "scan it's surroundings"..... all of which describe by definition a 360° world, environment, surroundings....then I plead guilty of assuming their intention wasn't to make me wonder what the definition of "IS' is.... Apparently I was wrong.
Right, unfortunately no 360 obstacle avoidance. Perhaps the Typhoon H Pro 2 (next year maybe?) Will include a realsense in the front and back for a 360 horizontal obstacle avoidance.

Reactions: Simspeed
Right, unfortunately no 360 obstacle avoidance. Perhaps the Typhoon H Pro 2 (next year maybe?) Will include a realsense in the front and back for a 360 horizontal obstacle avoidance.
That seems reasonable....perhaps I'll wait to invest in the module until the real world technology actually matches the marketing hyperbole. Thanks...

That seems reasonable....perhaps I'll wait to invest in the module until the real world technology actually matches the marketing hyperbole. Thanks...
Wait until the production models hit the market and the video reviews/demos come out. If at that time it fits your needs, then go for it.

ok,, so they are selling a idea and not a product? It's ok,, I'm not going to buy the module. I'm happy with it the way it is. Hopefully they will add better user features to the system so we can view the card on the camera from the remote and maybe download to the remote for editing or even to my phone :) BUT Hey!!! we have H's

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval