Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Crash- major malfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to wait until Yuneec contacted me, but apparently they are swamped with tech support issues via email and I'm getting impatient.

I have ~20 flights (not sure didn't count) since getting the H back with a new camera earlier this month. It seemed to work well aside from the "twitch" in GPS modes, which isn't a big deal, more annoying than anything although I think it can be better. Otherwise it's a beautiful flying machine as long as GPS doesn't glitch.

Saturday was gorgeous weather with calm winds so I took 2 copters to Lake Huron; one quad copter and the H. First I flew out with with the X4 for some aggressive flying and then flew a mission quite far out.

Then I took the H out for some video tests and such; used 3 batteries conservatively. Lots of fun, flew excellent, very pleased. It was getting dark quick, so packed up and went home.

Monday I went to the the fairgrounds to practice using CCC, POI and Journey.

CCC: very good and one big reason I bought the H. This is where the 360 degree camera really comes in handy. No issues, ran 2-3 missions.

POI: worked like a charm. After completing 2 circles I landed with the camera facing me to set up for Journey.

Journey: It worked successfully before, so figured it should this time. Followed the on screen instructions, pressed Start(?), then the slider(?) on the screen. I was ~15 ft away in Angle mode. The motors started, but then the H began acting strangely right out of the gate, barely came off the ground after doing the bounce routine and began to yaw. I tried cutting the motors with the Big Red Button......didn't work. If it had, I wouldn't be posting this today. At that point it began to ascend but not at the correct angle and the camera was facing the wrong way. It then moved out and did not go above 5 ft. AGL (that's five feet), stopped approximately the correct distance out (maybe not, didn't measure), hesitated like it didn't know where it was, turned around then began to descend and move back toward me.

Thinking it may be a GPS glitch or more I didn't think it was a good idea to switch into RTH; no telling what it would do. Not even sure that can be done anyway. Can't turn off GPS while in flight IIRC (would be PITA in emergency situations), so I just stood there helpless waiting for the inevitable. About 1/3 of the way back the landing gear caught the ground and the H went end over end violently.

I calmly walked over, glanced at it and noticed one clearly broken arm, two broken props and the camera dangling by two of the dampeners; didn't even care to look at anything else. I packed up, went home, grabbed the telemetry log, sent it off to Yuneec and loaded it into Exmaps to watch the cartoon. The modes during the Journey run were 3 (Angle mode), 27 (Journey mode) then 12 (crash). The rest is goofy as ****.

Absolutely nothing makes sense examining the log; it's pretty simple to follow. It's almost as if the H lost its mind and freaked out. KP was 2, 20 sats.....everything looked good to go.

This is my first crash in two years out of the three I've been these things (many hundreds of flights), and the last was due to a hardware bug in the AUAV-X2 FC (Pixhawk variant) I wasn't aware of, fixed with an update the next day. Fortunately no damage. Prior to that was totally my fault for entering an incorrect parameter setting for the compass orientation.

This would never have happened with my Arducopter machines because I could easily switch out and take control. Yuneec relies heavily on GPS and doesn't give the pilot much choice unless you lose GPS signal. If that doesn't happen and it glitches, you're pretty much screwed.

Could I have exited out of Journey? Not sure and it didn't cross my mind. Why should it? Something was malfunctioning and since there's no way to turn off GPS in flight, it is playing Russian Roulette flipping switches and such. Angle, Smart, RTH.....all GPS dependent.

I impatiently await Yuneec's response, and expect a brand new copter, not a repaired jalopy. There's no telling how many stress cracks are in the body/arms etc., or damage to the electronics and I won't ever trust it. I really like the H, but am very much concerned the FC code has a bit to be desired compared to what I'm used to and needs more failsafe redundancy.

If this is determined to be pilot error, I already have decided what to do.

Hi Glider, I've been reading all the responses and do hope you get good help from Yuneec and a solution to the problem. I would be devistated had this happened to me. In fact, I doubt that I will try the Journey mode anytime soon.

I have just one request for you. You mentioned you packed up the telemetry and sent it off to Yuneec. Just how does one access the telemetry? I haven't found any path that leads me to it. I'd like to be able to find it and see what it's all about. So can you give me a brief description of what steps I should take in my search for the telemetry? I would dearly appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Mojoe35

I was going to wait until Yuneec contacted me, but apparently they are swamped with tech support issues via email and I'm getting impatient.

I have ~20 flights (not sure didn't count) since getting the H back with a new camera earlier this month. It seemed to work well aside from the "twitch" in GPS modes, which isn't a big deal, more annoying than anything although I think it can be better. Otherwise it's a beautiful flying machine as long as GPS doesn't glitch.

Saturday was gorgeous weather with calm winds so I took 2 copters to Lake Huron; one quad copter and the H. First I flew out with with the X4 for some aggressive flying and then flew a mission quite far out.

Then I took the H out for some video tests and such; used 3 batteries conservatively. Lots of fun, flew excellent, very pleased. It was getting dark quick, so packed up and went home.

CCC: very good and one big reason I bought the H. This is where the 360 degree camera really comes in handy. No issues, ran 2-3 missions.

POI: worked like a charm. After completing 2 circles I landed with the camera facing me to set up for Journey.

Journey: It worked successfully before, so figured it should this time. Followed the on screen instructions, pressed Start(?), then the slider(?) on the screen. I was ~15 ft away in Angle mode. The motors started, but then the H began acting strangely right out of the gate, barely came off the ground after doing the bounce routine and began to yaw. I tried cutting the motors with the Big Red Button......didn't work. If it had, I wouldn't be posting this today. At that point it began to ascend but not at the correct angle and the camera was facing the wrong way. It then moved out and did not go above 5 ft. AGL (that's five feet), stopped approximately the correct distance out (maybe not, didn't measure), hesitated like it didn't know where it was, turned around then began to descend and move back toward me.

Thinking it may be a GPS glitch or more I didn't think it was a good idea to switch into RTH; no telling what it would do. Not even sure that can be done anyway. Can't turn off GPS while in flight IIRC (would be PITA in emergency situations), so I just stood there helpless waiting for the inevitable. About 1/3 of the way back the landing gear caught the ground and the H went end over end violently.

I calmly walked over, glanced at it and noticed one clearly broken arm, two broken props and the camera dangling by two of the dampeners; didn't even care to look at anything else. I packed up, went home, grabbed the telemetry log, sent it off to Yuneec and loaded it into Exmaps to watch the cartoon. The modes during the Journey run were 3 (Angle mode), 27 (Journey mode) then 12 (crash). The rest is goofy as ****.

Absolutely nothing makes sense examining the log; it's pretty simple to follow. It's almost as if the H lost its mind and freaked out. KP was 2, 20 sats.....everything looked good to go.

This is my first crash in two years out of the three I've been these things (many hundreds of flights), and the last was due to a hardware bug in the AUAV-X2 FC (Pixhawk variant) I wasn't aware of, fixed with an update the next day. Fortunately no damage. Prior to that was totally my fault for entering an incorrect parameter setting for the compass orientation.

This would never have happened with my Arducopter machines because I could easily switch out and take control. Yuneec relies heavily on GPS and doesn't give the pilot much choice unless you lose GPS signal. If that doesn't happen and it glitches, you're pretty much screwed.

Could I have exited out of Journey? Not sure and it didn't cross my mind. Why should it? Something was malfunctioning and since there's no way to turn off GPS in flight, it is playing Russian Roulette flipping switches and such. Angle, Smart, RTH.....all GPS dependent.

I impatiently await Yuneec's response, and expect a brand new copter, not a repaired jalopy. There's no telling how many stress cracks are in the body/arms etc., or damage to the electronics and I won't ever trust it. I really like the H, but am very much concerned the FC code has a bit to be desired compared to what I'm used to and needs more failsafe redundancy.

You should have hit RTH switch .this is what yuneec says to do . It works my red bottom
Did not stop the motors and I hit the RTH
Switch when I was on the grown and it worked . It stop the motors

Reactions: Markinter
You should have hit RTH switch .this is what yuneec says to do . It works my red bottom
Did not stop the motors and I hit the RTH
Switch when I was on the grown and it worked . It stop the motors

Not sure what C I, poi and journey are. Mine did "attacked" me the same way while videoing on new bridge deck. Everyone said was because of low battery level. Just strange. Few feet off the ground, came right at me bounced a few feet( breaking things) and I managed to stop it with my foot. Good luck, yuneec never got back to me on this. Great on other contact. bc

Not sure what C I, poi and journey are. Mine did "attacked" me the same way while videoing on new bridge deck. Everyone said was because of low battery level. Just strange. Few feet off the ground, came right at me bounced a few feet( breaking things) and I managed to stop it with my foot. Good luck, yuneec never got back to me on this. Great on other contact. bc

Those things, journey etc. are all explained in the manual...
I'd advise you strongly to read and understand all of the manual...after all you are taking 1.6kgs of hardware up in the air with the potential to fly towards objects at 70kph.
It's a good community here so if there is something you are not sure about ask here and you'll get a good response. Nobody wants to here a story of the next time something stops it, that it was something a lot worse than your foot.

Seems the red button did work, you crashed. Really don't want to get into a pissing match. This is not one of your other drones. This is a Yuneec TH.

Seems the red button did work, you crashed. Really don't want to get into a pissing match. This is not one of your other drones. This is a Yuneec TH.

Want to look at the logs? I already posted the exmap. No, the red button did not work. Funny that Yuneec won't discuss the instructions or have the common courtesy to call me after I sent the log.

It is a bug in their code that allows takeoff on the ground, if it isn't supposed to, and since it is a smart mode I think that's why it freaked out the first 5 second or so as I was only 15 ft ”away" when starting Journey from the ground. The documentation is horrid.

Since I can't read the code it's anyone's guess, but there most assuredly a bug in the firmware.

You're right though, it definitely is not one of my other drones.

Bottom line is, you crash or fly away, it is not covered. The gravy train is over.

Glider I'm hoping they can help you. You need your. TH.

Want to look at the logs? I already posted the exmap. No, the red button did not work. Funny that Yuneec won't discuss the instructions or have the common courtesy to call me after I sent the log.

It is a bug in their code that allows takeoff on the ground, if it isn't supposed to, and since it is a smart mode I think that's why it freaked out the first 5 second or so as I was only 15 ft ”away" when starting Journey from the ground. The documentation is horrid.

Since I can't read the code it's anyone's guess, but there most assuredly a bug in the firmware.

You're right though, it definitely is not one of my other drones.

Bottom line is, you crash or fly away, it is not covered. The gravy train is over.
Amazing how every crash I read about is always the machines fault. Seems the the H is a little to much complex for a lot of the Dji guys to just try and fly her right out of the box. All the instructions are pretty well written and clear, looking at the diagrams are self explanatory.

Reactions: banned user
Amazing how every crash I read about is always the machines fault. Seems the the H is a little to much complex for a lot of the Dji guys to just try and fly her right out of the box. All the instructions are pretty well written and clear, looking at the diagrams are self explanatory.
In my experience as a Phantom flyer (that is now the proud owner of a Typhoon H) most, but by no means all, causes of crashes can be traced back in some way to pilot error. I've personally had 3 major crashes and a few minor scrapes with Phantoms. All but one were my fault and the one that wasn't was through what I believe to be a technical fault. Just my experience.

Last edited:

Don't you just love paying for Yuneec's leaning curves?

All 5 of my free machines were equipment failure and yes it is amazing that the people with the Lemon that actually works as advertised think they are perfect pilots and the rest must be idiots. A lot of these birds and receivers and cameras are crap and more should complain and post their problems. If your's works . . . it's the lemon.

All 5 of my free machines were equipment failure and yes it is amazing that the people with the Lemon that actually works as advertised think they are perfect pilots and the rest must be idiots. A lot of these birds and receivers and cameras are crap and more should complain and post their problems. If your's works . . . it's the lemon.
It's a clear case of this guy not reading the instructions and expecting a Yuneec to be programmed the same as a Dji or something else he had in his head.

Post 7 - "It was headed for a 4 ft. high fence probably somewhere near the same distance away it was programmed to go out. The telemetry logs showed it didn't exceed ~2.6m but it was a bit lower than that (normal AGL error). That's the mystery; why did it not ascend? Why did it yaw and not take off properly?"

The simple answer to the "Mystery; why did it not ascend," is black and white in the instruction manual and also repeated on the 2nd screen pop up dialogue which is given to you to read before starting the mode.

"Dependant on the camera tilt, the drone will go up and out" this is further explained by the associated images.....
0° camera angle = 0° it flys away from you (so by simple logic 0 ft of accent.) for the set distance
45° of camera tilt an it flys away from you at 45° for the set distance
90° of camera tilt an it flys away from you at 90° for the set distance
etc....

So follow the instructions, start 10ft away, make the camera point at you (step 1), (if its 10ft away and on the ground and looking at you the camera angle is downward obviously and if you've read the instructions you will know the direction of flight is downwards - probably not a good thing unless it is 10ft already over the side of a cliff)

Even after this guy has been told this he still comes out with a statement.
Post 28 - "Does it say the camera angle determines the angle of ascent and descent? No."

So this is a clear example of pilot error, NOT hardware failure.

That has nothing to do with my situation. Not sure of your point

The point is simple.
You said - " people with the Lemon that actually works as advertised think they are perfect pilots"
This thread is not about your situation it's about a different one. - The OP claimed his H was a lemon where as in-fact he did not read the instruction manual and made a pilot error.

You also omit to point out when you write "All 5 of my free machines were equipment failure" that in-fact you are not talking about a Typhoon H.

You already started a thread about your Q problems in a different forum. This forum is about the Typhoon H, and this thread is about a "Mystery" crash by someone else (now solved).
If you want specific replies in this thread to be about your situation your out of luck - threads get messy when they deviate off topic. You need make a post specific about it, and also be clear as day that your "machine" is NOT a Typhoon H.

My H is not a lemon. The H is a a great flyer. I love the 360 camera and retractable landing gear. It however is not perfect. If

It is overall a fantastic machine.
The point is simple.
You said - " people with the Lemon that actually works as advertised think they are perfect pilots"
This thread is not about your situation it's about a different one. - The OP claimed his H was a lemon where as in-fact he did not read the instruction manual and made a pilot error.

You also omit to point out when you write "All 5 of my free machines were equipment failure" that in-fact you are not talking about a Typhoon H.

You already started a thread about your Q problems in a different forum. This forum is about the Typhoon H, and this thread is about a "Mystery" crash by someone else (now solved).
If you want specific replies in this thread to be about your situation your out of luck - threads get messy when they deviate off topic. You need make a post specific about it, and also be clear as day that your "machine" is NOT a Typhoon H.

WHERE DID I EVER SAY MY H IS A LEMON? SHOW ME. THAT IS NOT THE OP.

You are completely clueless.

I have concluded that Yuneec is not going to fix or replace my H, and don't care that they do at this point. I can fix it myself. My anger was in the fact the manual sucks, the instructions are ambiguous and what they consider "failsafe" is CYA for piss poor programming. They have not responded since sending them the logs (second time).

The OP is the H has firmware bugs that need to be addressed. Period, end of story.

I'll bet there will be less and less Yuneec rep posting in forums and following YT videos offering "help" and assurances the customer be "happy". The slush fund for violating their "no warranty coverage for crashes" has ended.

My H is not a lemon. The H is a a great flyer. I love the 360 camera and retractable landing gear. It however is not perfect. If

It is overall a fantastic machine.

WHERE DID I EVER SAY MY H IS A LEMON? SHOW ME. THAT IS NOT THE OP.

You are completely clueless.

I have concluded that Yuneec is not going to fix or replace my H, and don't care that they do at this point. I can fix it myself. My anger was in the fact the manual sucks, the instructions are ambiguous and what they consider "failsafe" is CYA for piss poor programming. They have not responded since sending them the logs (second time).

The OP is the H has firmware bugs that need to be addressed. Period, end of story.

I'll bet there will be less and less Yuneec rep posting in forums and following YT videos offering "help" and assurances the customer be "happy". The slush fund for violating their "no warranty coverage for crashes" has ended.
Oh dear me...the lemon term was in context of the previous poster's posts...please read the full picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Digitix