Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Crashed first time out!

Reaction score
Hello everyone! i'm new to the forum and new to drone flying. I'm posting here in the hope that my story is not a unique one.

The short version of my story is that my new Typhoon H crash landed itself my very first time using it.

I don't know what happened, and that's where I'm hoping other, more knowledgeable people can help. I was in a big open field, I had it in the sky above me and a short distance away. I got a message telling me that the battery was low and that flight would be limited to 60 meters or feet (I forget which) and just a brief few moments later, while trying to get the controls oriented to bring it back in for a landing, it started it's descent automatically. (Sidebar: the battery reading in the top left corner of the controller's screen - is that the drone's battery level or the controller's?)

I know that these things will land themselves when the battery gets low and that's what I thought was happening when the landing gear came down on it's own and the drone started lowering itself. The ground that it landed on was not quite level, but also not any kind of steep hill. More like a slight incline. The drone hit the ground with the landing gear down, bounced off the ground like a basketball, went backwards up the incline, and when I got to it I saw the damage - all six propellers were broken and the gimbal had busted right off.

I've included pictures of the broken gimbal in the hope that someone can provide info about getting it fixed - I live in Toronto, which is a big city. Is this the kind of thing a local drone shop could likely fix or would this have to be sent to Yuneec? Their website support section says that their authorized service centers are in Australia and China, I would think there's at least got to be one in the U.S.?

And the other thing I'm hoping someone can tell me is if this sounds like a freak occurence or if this kind of rough landing is to be expected. Using the control stick, I landed the craft safely twice before this crash landing. I didn't hit a tree, it wasn't inclement weather, and it didn't seem like the drone was coming down any faster than it did when I had landed it previously.

Have you ever seen or done something like this? Does it come down faster when it's landing itself than when I'm holding the control stick all the way down?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can offer feedback!

Attachments

• 20160716_131424.jpg
    20160716_131424.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
  • 20160716_131429.jpg
    20160716_131429.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • 20160716_131433.jpg
    20160716_131433.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • 20160716_131322.jpg
    20160716_131322.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 43
  • 20160716_131329.jpg
    20160716_131329.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 41
Even a slight incline is not good to land on with the H, Always take control on a Autoland or RTH, once within range as it is much more controllable to land yourself and you could have selected a more level area!. Never hold the control stick all the way down when landing! When you get to 10-12 feet, let off the sticks and let it hover , then slowly bring it down with slight downward stick movement. When about 1 foot off ground just gently bring it to ground, then hold left stick all the way down for two seconds till motors idle and the hit the RED switch to kill motors!( NEVER use right stick movement when landing either !)
It sounds like you really need to read the manuals and tips on this forum, and practice with a cheapy drone to get the hang of things.
Just my thought, no pun intended my friend !;)

Reactions: TorontoFlyer
Looks like a broken camera you top plate P/N YUNCGO3P101. Assuming nothing else is broken, it is not a complicated fix. Part is $13 from my distributer in US. You will have to remove the damper cover and two damper lock pins, then disconnect four dampers to replace. I had a hard landing that knocked camera off two dampers, but did not break rails. You should be in for a landing before you get LV warning. RTF and auto landing get you back the drone, but are not fool-proof. Top left is "H" battery, best to be close to home at 10.6 volts.

Looks like a broken camera you top plate P/N YUNCGO3P101. Assuming nothing else is broken, it is not a complicated fix. Part is $13 from my distributer in US. You will have to remove the damper cover and two damper lock pins, then disconnect four dampers to replace. I had a hard landing that knocked camera off two dampers, but did not break rails. You should be in for a landing before you get LV warning. RTF and auto landing get you back the drone, but are not fool-proof. Top left is "H" battery, best to be close to home at 10.6 volts.
I think you mean 14.6 V my friend, cause at 10.6v on the H, you will have already dropped like a rock !;)

Reactions: QuadBart
Sorry to hear/read about this. Lots to be learned here. Don't take this the wrong way but you need to keep an eye on that battery level for just that reason of "auto-landing". There is a very good chart someone made that tells you what you should be doing at different voltage readings..

In any event. It was probably the slant/incline. The bird expects the ground to be level and it wasn't. So it probably landed hotter than it would have on a level surface. It also can't tell its "slanted" so whatever props parts or going to make contact with the up hill surface (depending on how steep it was).

Anyways, good luck with the repair..

Reactions: TorontoFlyer
thanks so much for the replies! Mike34787 - do you have a link where I can order that part from?

I thought I had done research. I got the drone on Thursday and didn't take it out until Saturday, spending that time watching videos, reading the manual, and doing research. I guess there is such a thing as being over-educated, because what I was hearing in my head while I was flying it was the videos saying that the first battery warning is a heads-up, and the second is time to take it out of the air. My second warning turned out to be my drone smashing into the ground! :)

Sorry for your crash! I can say I feel your pain... I had it happen to me, and all my fault! I was in smart mode (oops) and was within the circle of death and the H moved to get away from me, unfortunately there was a house in the way that wasn't too keen on moving out of the drones way! Broke the gimbal mount and 2 props. Here are two places to get the mounts from, but they're both on backorder right now...

Mount Set: Yuneec Typhoon H CGO3+

Yuneec Typhoon H, CGO3+ Gimbal Mount Set

Very easy to replace though!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval