Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Discharging the battery in the st16 controller

Reaction score
It's pretty well been established that the batteries in the typhoon H should be stored discharged.
Does the same apply to the st16 controller battery ? in other words should it be stored at a certain voltage level if you're not going to use it for 3 weeks or longer

No... the flight batteries are LiPos... but the ST-16 battery is Lithium Ion... it can be stored at full, and when used, just topped off.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
No... the flight batteries are LiPos... but the ST-16 battery is Lithium Ion... it can be stored at full, and when used, just topped off.

Thank you
I did not know that the controller battery is lithium but I did know the drone batteries were lipo's . I had to run 3 drone batteries
Down for storage I ran them down to the first battery warning indicator.
So when I took them into the house to check them they were 14. 7
And the other was at 15 volts.
Do you think that maybe okay
For storage for 5 days ?
Thanks Keith

Thank you
I did not know that the controller battery is lithium but I did know the drone batteries were lipo's . I had to run 3 drone batteries
For storage for 5 days ?
Thanks Keith
Keith, they should be stored @ 15.2V - 15.3V. No more, no less. Important.

Thank you
For storage for 5 days ?
Thanks Keith
The batteries that are at 14.7v are a bit on the low side for short term storage and certainly low for long term storage. The one at 15.0v is at the low end of what I would consider a good storage level for long term storage...better at 15.2v.

But for just 5 days won't harm them so long as they are power cycled in the 5 day period. Again, for storage aim for 15.2v

Keith, they should be stored @ 15.2V - 15.3V. No more, no less. Important.[/QUOTE

Thanks
I will remember that, in fact I'm going to go in right now and check them just to make sure. so even if they are stored at 14. 7 that's not good correct ?
Keith Kuhn

The batteries that are at 14.7v are a bit on the low side for short term storage and certainly low for long term storage. The one at 15.0v is at the low end of what I would consider a good storage level for long term storage...better at 15.2v.

But for just 5 days won't harm them so long as they are power cycled in the 5 day period. Again, for storage aim for 15.2v

Wow so much to learn from you guys. Now what's smart charger or whatever you call it do you recommend I'm using the stock one that came with the typhoon H.
perhaps a nice one it will charge two batteries at a time I don't want anything too expensive but something decent.

Thanks
So much to learn. I'm using the charger that came with the typhoon H what would you recommend if I were to get another one that would charge two batteries and would tell me all the levels on the cells.
And discharge them to the proper level. I don't want anything real expensive.
Thanks Keith

Wow so much to learn from you guys. Now what's smart charger or whatever you call it do you recommend I'm using the stock one that came with the typhoon H.
perhaps a nice one it will charge two batteries at a time I don't want anything too expensive but something decent.

Thanks
So much to learn. I'm using the charger that came with the typhoon H what would you recommend if I were to get another one that would charge two batteries and would tell me all the levels on the cells.
And discharge them to the proper level. I don't want anything real expensive.
Thanks Keith

https://www.amazon.com/EV-PEAK-Typhoon-Battery-Charger-Function/dp/B075GXM1WR/ref=sr_1_7

There are several great websites that cover battery chemistries snd their requirements in great depth. It’s beyond laborious to re-write them here over and over again, especially as there is a “sticky” at the front of the forum leading people to some of them, not to mention using the search function on the forum. There are literally hundreds of posts covering battery care and chargers. Spoon feeding is fine for the one being fed but awful for the ones holding the spoon.

Charger info can be found quite easily using the search function. Many are available that will charge up to 4 batteries at a time. The secret to obtaining a good, reliable charger is to avoid buying the cheapest ones available on eBay and Amazon. They don’t last, can burn themselves up, and are frequently not accurate. For a good “starter” charger than will handle two batteries you can visit Yuneec and look at their A-10 charger, or pay a little less and obtain the same one from Hitec RCD under a different name. Hitec is the actual maker of Yuneec’s charger. A visit to the Hitec website would provide quite a selection of different chargers.

There are several great websites that cover battery chemistries snd their requirements in great depth. It’s beyond laborious to re-write them here over and over again, especially as there is a “sticky” at the front of the forum leading people to some of them, not to mention using the search function on the forum. There are literally hundreds of posts covering battery care and chargers. Spoon feeding is fine for the one being fed but awful for the ones holding the spoon.

Charger info can be found quite easily using the search function. Many are available that will charge up to 4 batteries at a time. The secret to obtaining a good, reliable charger is to avoid buying the cheapest ones available on eBay and Amazon. They don’t last, can burn themselves up, and are frequently not accurate. For a good “starter” charger than will handle two batteries you can visit Yuneec and look at their A-10 charger, or pay a little less and obtain the same one from Hitec RCD under a different name. Hitec is the actual maker of Yuneec’s charger. A visit to the Hitec website would provide quite a selection of different chargers.

Thanks Pat
I am on the right track now thanks again.
Keith

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop