Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Distance testing report - updates page 3 (FPVLR) & page 5 (DBS)

Just got my DBS and will be trying it this weekend, stupid work.......Did I miss somebody already trying it?

I received my DBS about 30 minutes ago and just finished my first flight with it, following essentially the same path over open ground that I flew with the FPVLR two days ago (see page 3 of this thread). Today is less windy and warmer, don't know if that would have any affect on signals, but my video feed was noticably worse with the DBS. I know that it was something less than 4,000' away before I had signal break-up that was very significant. I still continued one since I made it with no issues with the FPVLR out to 5,650' but somewhere around 5,200' I no longer saw movement based on the video feed which did continue to break-up from time to time. I was a bit higher today than on Wednesday with the FPVLR since it was mentioned that is best for distance. I panicked a bit (so no screenshot of ST16 display) since I haven't installed my Marco Polo yet! I had seen the drone (by eyesight) shortly before this point but could not see it at this time so I walked quickly out into my open field to decrease the distance. I suddenly saw a video shot showing it had traveled a bit further away, maybe another 100' or so. I pulled back on the right stick to head back home and it responded right away and all ended well. Since I had essentially no headwind coming back I came back full speed and had plenty of battery power upon return. This is just one test but my initial impression was one of disappointment. Too early to reach conclusions without further testing (and confirmation by others with both units on the Typhoon H, but I'm guessing the left hand polarity of the H camera's antenna matches up better with the LH polarity of the FPVLR.

Other factors - The DBS took much longer to connect to the ST16 than the FPVLR since the bracket must first be clamped onto the ST16, then cables connected to the antenna, the antenna connected to the bracket, and then cables connected to the ST16. Even if you plan to be taking it off for packing away and putting back on later, some of this is a one-time set-up. Still, it's definitely a little more difficult reaching in to the clamp once the antenna is attached. The size is somewhat larger overall but the DBS does not protrude out in front as far but, instead, is taller.

My DBS came with a MaxxUAV sticker on the front. It shipped from Itelite but I guess they have an arrangement to brand them for re-sellers. Here is the unit set up on the ST16:

20160527_135909~2.jpg

No more testing until I get my Marco Polo set up! Also, maybe will wait until my son is free to help me drive if I need to do a search and rescue!

Hmmm...well, thanks alot HarveyC. You ruined my warm and fuzzy feeling I had waiting for my DBS (after initially deciding on the FPVLR lol).

Just gonna go your route and order the FPVLR also and then choose.

Thanks for the update and keep us posted on any new results.

Reactions: HarveyC
Sorry for throwing water on your warm fuzzy feeling, look forward to your test comparisons as well. Since we have a lot of alfalfa growing in the area I have some good paths to fly over safely, fortunately. Ideally, I'd have a couple of look-outs watching for me in case I lose video feed and don't know what's going on.

My FPVLR kit just arrived and it looks awesome, can't wait to put it to good use this weekend.

Attachments

• 20160527_172226.jpg
    20160527_172226.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 61
Reactions: Yuneec_Usa
Just bought one hopefully I get it before the end of next week when I have to leave
I don't mind them being off centered, just wish they wouldn't spin as easy when I moved the portion that is further above center facing up. Not a big deal, I may just tape them in place after installing

Now, if I could just have some greater battery capacity! I wonder how many volts Peter had left after running out 9,000'+ and back.

I received my DBS about 30 minutes ago and just finished my first flight with it, following essentially the same path over open ground that I flew with the FPVLR two days ago (see page 3 of this thread). Today is less windy and warmer, don't know if that would have any affect on signals, but my video feed was noticably worse with the DBS. I know that it was something less than 4,000' away before I had signal break-up that was very significant. I still continued one since I made it with no issues with the FPVLR out to 5,650' but somewhere around 5,200' I no longer saw movement based on the video feed which did continue to break-up from time to time. I was a bit higher today than on Wednesday with the FPVLR since it was mentioned that is best for distance. I panicked a bit (so no screenshot of ST16 display) since I haven't installed my Marco Polo yet! I had seen the drone (by eyesight) shortly before this point but could not see it at this time so I walked quickly out into my open field to decrease the distance. I suddenly saw a video shot showing it had traveled a bit further away, maybe another 100' or so. I pulled back on the right stick to head back home and it responded right away and all ended well. Since I had essentially no headwind coming back I came back full speed and had plenty of battery power upon return. This is just one test but my initial impression was one of disappointment. Too early to reach conclusions without further testing (and confirmation by others with both units on the Typhoon H, but I'm guessing the left hand polarity of the H camera's antenna matches up better with the LH polarity of the FPVLR.

Other factors - The DBS took much longer to connect to the ST16 than the FPVLR since the bracket must first be clamped onto the ST16, then cables connected to the antenna, the antenna connected to the bracket, and then cables connected to the ST16. Even if you plan to be taking it off for packing away and putting back on later, some of this is a one-time set-up. Still, it's definitely a little more difficult reaching in to the clamp once the antenna is attached. The size is somewhat larger overall but the DBS does not protrude out in front as far but, instead, is taller.

My DBS came with a MaxxUAV sticker on the front. It shipped from Itelite but I guess they have an arrangement to brand them for re-sellers. Here is the unit set up on the ST16:

View attachment 739

No more testing until I get my Marco Polo set up! Also, maybe will wait until my son is free to help me drive if I need to do a search and rescue!

Very unfortunate test and having that sticker on there just makes it worst. Very anxious to hear further flight tests with it but I'm happy I went with the FPVLR as I flew the H today with it and it performed amazing. Keep us updated.

it should be able to go around 12k and back if you do it in a straight light without wasting any time at all.
Okay, will give it another try, I had a pretty strong wind that worked to my advantage when flying out but I think I should have come back slower and probably ate up more battery coming back at full speed when I was fighting a strong headwind. I started another thread asking about "fuel economy", trying to understand what speed may be most efficient.

@DroneClone - you should be reading this and get your order for FPVLR in and do your own testing with your H! :D
Harvey I have already received both and flew both in Dallas today and before I left home. And I am satisfied with my DBS and the FPVLR is good, but not as for my needs! I hope you have success in your choice of product !

Harvey I have already received both and flew both in Dallas today and before I left home. And I am satisfied with my DBS and the FPVLR is good, but not as for my needs! I hope you have success in your choice of product !

Hello fellow Texan, I live in Granbury and work in Fort Worth....

Fly 12k out Harvey as Tony recommends and are you following FAA guidelines? I thought it was for better video and signal strength?;)

Hello fellow Texan, I live in Granbury and work in Fort Worth....
Greetings neighbor!, have a conference in Grandury in a month! nice town, Please let me know if I ever mislead you to purchase a DBS over a FPVLR as a nice gentleman on this forum has stated!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval