Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

DIY tether Typhoon H

Following you on terminals, and great to hear OEM charger not used; but not visualizing the H’s battery socket interface with your adapter. A dean connector is 2 terminals, the H socket has multiple. Does your adapter come with a diagram doc to help clarify? ;)

Yes it's really simple concept. There's a step by step instructions I can send you that's illustrated. I'll try and post it for everyone hang tight.

Aluminum is also a slightly worse conductor. 18 AWG is way overkill though. 26 AWG is capable of carrying 2A according to this chart, American Wire Gauge Chart and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits table with skin depth frequencies and wire breaking strength and the copper itself would be about 1/6 the weight.
With 26 AWG at 2A, you'd lose about 35V along the wiring, but if you had high enough input voltage ( > 300V) that shouldn't be a major problem.

But wouldn't 200' of 2 conductor insulated 26 Ga copper wire still be so heavy that the H couldn't lift it? I couldn't find an exact weight but it would be in the 2 Lb range. I'm thinking that eliminating the on-board battery will help but would need an on-board voltage regulator.

Reactions: Ralphy
I am very interessted in this project and am following this thread diligently. Keep up the good work. im in discussions on this also.

Has this project managed to move forward ? I have been trying to find a small dc/dc converter but can't get one that has power output in a low weight package

Not to get off the subject but I was curious, how close are we to the “ next generation of battery?”
Will it be stronger and lighter?

Not all that close. Currently, automotive uses are driving new chemistry development. Once they have arrived at a safer and effective chemistry for hybrid-electric autos it will trickle down over time to recreational applications.

There is a tendency to rush new tech towards applications for which the development was not originally intended. GiFi batteries are a good example. This is done by companies more concerned with expanding their profit centers and users that fail to adequately research the technology before attempting to adopt it. For the manufacturers it’s all about greed. For the users it comes down to lack of understanding and haste. Hasty users end up losers while manufacturers laugh all the way to the bank.

One other things to consider is a strength member especially if flight levels are anything significant - that way the tugging and and wind buffet would go to the line rather than the wire. Ideally power lines are also attached to the strength member in some fashion so that they are supported rather than taking full strain. High power = heat and maybe stretching of conductor under tension.

Amazon has a 70lb test braided kevlar that seems to be usable for kites. Perhaps it would help with minimal weight addition. https://www.amazon.com/Braided-Kevlar-Line-70lb-Green/dp/B00A899ZLI

Just a thought

Respectfully,

Tom

Here's a tether kit compatible with typhoon Hs... Just make sure you're sitting down before checking the price...

T1 Tether System for Drone

a7482918050129582e07f661050977ba.jpg

This arrived today to show off at World of Drone Expo next week here in Australia.

59DBCB89-F6B7-4E33-9C52-656D58724A0A.jpeg D57A5964-6915-4825-B77B-E8256C3CF922.jpeg 36C31F85-FE2C-448C-80FA-AF8F22B76C96.jpeg 79F9C916-1F96-4DBF-836E-7F9CCA1F464E.jpeg 5D9335C6-6BA5-4D18-9616-4F775F865B41.jpeg 38DD3FA1-D70F-4DCF-8798-6D72562AA81D.jpeg E0D31C96-7A3C-4392-8144-46B0D7C05C74.jpeg

No money for fix this month :p

Reactions: Snagglesworth
Thanks but I don't think you can run 300w of DC through 200' of 22 gauge wire. It probably has to be AC voltage traveling up the wire. Don't you agree?
Following you on terminals, and great to hear OEM charger not used; but not visualizing the H’s battery socket interface with your adapter. A dean connector is 2 terminals, the H socket has multiple. Does your adapter come with a diagram doc to help clarify? ;)
Has to be a.c. then down to dc .dc drops voltage too much over great lengths.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech