Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

DJI

We have them to thank for so arduously promoting their concept of remote ID to various governments around the world for the past 3-1/2 years. We also have them to thank for deliberately marketing drones that far exceed the legal operating range, which had the side effect of a need for developing a drone tracking system to locate and identify operators violating the law and sensible safety policies.

We have a lot to “thank” DJI for but the bulk of it is for bending those participating in this hobby over and giving them the shaft, dry and with a little sand, over and over. No other drone manufacturer has caused this hobby as much harm as they have, with the end result likely the total demise of the hobby.

We have them to thank for so arduously promoting their concept of remote ID to various governments around the world for the past 3-1/2 years. We also have them to thank for deliberately marketing drones that far exceed the legal operating range, which had the side effect of a need for developing a drone tracking system to locate and identify operators violating the law and sensible safety policies.

We have a lot to “thank” DJI for but the bulk of it is for bending those participating in this hobby over and giving them the shaft, dry and with a little sand, over and over. No other drone manufacturer has caused this hobby as much harm as they have, with the end result likely the total demise of the hobby.

You may be rite about all
You just said.
Keith

"with the end result likely the total demise of the hobby." Sad but true Pat.:mad:

Even the FAA acknowledges this.

At the January meeting of our local AUVSI Lonestar chapter, we had our area FAA Rep attend to talk about the NPRM and RFID. He went over everything we already know, clarified the different levels and stuff, and we peppered him with questions which he answered. I asked him, "So, I guess the days of taking your kid to the local park to fly the model airplane you both worked so hard on, are over?"

He looked at me point blank, and all he said was "Yes".

• Wow
Reactions: Mike Irish
You may be rite about all
You just said.
Keith

Keith,

I’ve been deeply involved in the world of drones, from RC aircraft, through military hardware, and multirotors for well over 40 years. Lived it, breathed it, followed it, tracked it, been a manufacturer rep, new product tester for a couple manufacturers, was a would noted RC 2 stroke gas engine SME, associated closely with some of the people now writing the rules. Others did the same and more.

Some of us tried telling everyone what was happening and the path that was being taken starting back in 2007. Nobody listened and exactly what we predicted is coming to fruition, for exactly the reasons we alerted people to. This road was carefully structured to achieve an end goal, with that goal removing us from having any possibility of interfering with larger players.

Is DJI short for Dumb... (i'll let everyone fill in their own expletives) or the people who bought them, and the biggest own goal ever scored! Voted with their wallets to be ultimately screwed.

Keith,

I’ve been deeply involved in the world of drones, from RC aircraft, through military hardware, and multirotors for well over 40 years. Lived it, breathed it, followed it, tracked it, been a manufacturer rep, new product tester for a couple manufacturers, was a would noted RC 2 stroke gas engine SME, associated closely with some of the people now writing the rules. Others did the same and more.

Some of us tried telling everyone what was happening and the path that was being taken starting back in 2007. Nobody listened and exactly what we predicted is coming to fruition, for exactly the reasons we alerted people to. This road was carefully structured to achieve an end goal, with that goal removing us from having any possibility of interfering with larger players.

I truly am impressed with
Your credentials.
I am just a hobbiests.
And always will be until
My Typhoon H no longer
Flys, or I crash it.
Or whatever happens.
I never even though
about how large DJI
Is. But people and companies who have
Lots of $$$$$ always
seem to get their way.
I don't think $$$$$
is the answer but what
the **** do I know.
apparently not too much
Keith Kuhn

Even the FAA acknowledges this.

At the January meeting of our local AUVSI Lonestar chapter, we had our area FAA Rep attend to talk about the NPRM and RFID. He went over everything we already know, clarified the different levels and stuff, and we peppered him with questions which he answered. I asked him, "So, I guess the days of taking your kid to the local park to fly the model airplane you both worked so hard on, are over?"

He looked at me point blank, and all he said was "Yes".

BS I don't buy into that.
Sorry
Keith Kuhn

There is a very long post going on right now in the Facebook group Legal News & Discussion. I know some of you are members there and probably could add to this statement from one of their members. There is a lot of good information from this group and putting your facebook fears aside you should join the group just for info sake.

"Here is the actual source of the pressure on the FAA. People have to stop thinking it is Amazon, UPS, FedEx, etc. It is DHS and Big Brother government who is the real culprit here. And they honestly could not care less if anyone ever flew a sUAS or model airplane in the US again. All in the name of "security"

They say if you want to boil a frog, you don't throw it into hot water, it will just jump out. To boil a frog, you put it in a pan room temperature water and turn the heat up very slowly, the frog will eventually just accept the temperature rising, fall asleep and die.

We've been in the pan for a very long time, some of us just don't know it yet.

It takes two to tango. I agree with all that has been said about DJI, they are no friend of the 'drone' community but they by themselves cannot really harm us but as Pat correctly pointed out, they did produce products that would lure unsuspecting and irresponsible drone pilots into flying in manners that would bring our community directly into contact with the other dance partner - the federal government.

Government agencies such as the FAA and Homeland defense are run by people who never have to answer to those of us, whose regulations (that they make) directly impact. They can make rules and regulations at will, and have the full might of the US government behind them when they do; to enforce those rules. While we are being told we can write letters and have our voice heard, I for one, do not for one second believe they care to listen. Its all part of a plan of 'normalizing' restrictions to the point that we first get use to new restrictions, and then we get used to having those freedoms which were being restricted - removed.

The heat is on.

BS I don't buy into that.
Sorry
Keith Kuhn

You should, Keith. A few years ago, when I asked how they were going to integrate commercial systems into the airspace and how it would impact RC, a full time corporate rep to the FAA looked me in the eye and stated RC was going to be sacrificed. That was in 2013. In 2006 that rep had been my dept. manager, and being on a first name communications basis and aware of his tasking after moving up in the company I had no doubt it was a factual statement.

Last edited:
BTW, it was 2008 when the aerospace drone industry first started talking about what it would take to certify many RC aircraft components to meet FAA standards. Just a few years later the FAA designated either the ASTM or ASME to become the primary testing agency for drone related components. Aerospace drone companies initiated destructive level stress testing of airframe components in 2013,

And what about the RC industry? Why do they seem silent? They will be the big losers in all this with the Grupner's, Horizon's, Align's, Robbe's, Kyosho's, Tamiya's, Thunder Tiger's, and others of the world... So I guess it's ok for the Govt to destroy an entire industry? Nice! That same govt seems to worry about the displaced insurance industry workers loosing their jobs if a single payer health system were to pass, yet with this market and industry it's A-ok?

I will just leave this here. I have a lot to say about this video and dronevalley but I will keep it to myself as I don't want to piss to many people off.

And what about the RC industry? Why do they seem silent? They will be the big losers in all this with the Grupner's, Horizon's, Align's, Robbe's, Kyosho's, Tamiya's, Thunder Tiger's, and others of the world... So I guess it's ok for the Govt to destroy an entire industry? Nice! That same govt seems to worry about the displaced insurance industry workers loosing their jobs if a single payer health system were to pass, yet with this market and industry it's A-ok?

It comes down to money, how much and who gets it. The RC hobby industry is overall a minuscule part of the national economy, and maintains virtually zero representation at government levels. They pay taxes and for the most part that’s the extent of government involvement. You also have to figure most positions held in the hobby industry are minimum wage or slightly higher positions.

Corporate aerospace and defense industry spends many $ millions each year on government lobbying. They also employ a great many unqualified friends and relatives of government officials at wage levels far higher than their artificial positions justify. We won’t go into graft and contract kickbacks here. Take a look at the corporate listings of paid honorary board members and note the number that previously held a government position. The FAA is really good in that respect with their leaders trickling “down” to high level aerospace positions upon “retirement”.

GW,

Note where most of the companies you mentioned are based. With the exception of Horizon they are not located in the U.S., and Horizon is largely a product importer. Most hobby dollars spent are exported and do little in driving our national economy.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
For anyone that may not understand how we have arrived at a point where the general public views the drone community with disdain and distrust, there are many ways but here is one that I have found just about everywhere we look. It is in articles about drones. From the first line of the first link posted above by Mrgs1, and I quote . . .

"Like the internet and GPS before them, drones are evolving beyond their military origin to become powerful business tools".

Really, drones had their origins in military? Which drones are you talking about? The Drones like the MQ-9 Reaper which cannot be purchased by John Q Public, that costs 17 million a piece? That Drone? Or are you talking about a simple toy quad that costs 100 bucks? Oh thats right, we've blurred the lines between the two, thereby accepting the term 'drone' to be applied to us.

From the second link, paragraph six, and I quote. . . .

"There is a need for current UK drone regulation to advance to see the estimations in our report become a reality, but it's positive to see the government already taking proactive steps to address this with the draft Drones Bill,"

Okay so, drones are gonna make us billions of dollars but hey; first we gotta regulate the **** out of them? And it's "positive" to see the government already taking 'proactive' steps?

pro·ac·tive
/prōˈaktiv/
adjective
(of a person, policy, or action) creating or controlling a situation by causing something to happen rather than responding to it after it has happened.

Yeah makes total sense.

This is the kind of carefully worded BS that has lead the general public to fear multi-rotors. Almost every story we read frames drones as dangerous, by saying crap like 'we need to know who is flying UAVs to keep the public safe' The inference here is: Drones are inherently dangerous.

Sorry for the rant, I had a long day . . . . and it's cold. ? ;)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss