Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Do NOT calibrate your compass !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an interesting, mostly polite discussion about an issue where there is much confusion. Those who don't wish to participate in the discussion, need not.
It has gone beyond interesting, to boringly repetitive and argumentatively a circle with no way out! But carry on my friends! You are right, it is your right to live in a whirlpool and me to leave it!

Im not trying to argue. Im only trying to help keep people safe and possibly prevent another negative news flash about this hobby slash industry.

I am in Costa rica on vacation and the first thing I did was calibrate. Now I went from the beach to the mountains and I am going to do it again.

Reactions: Anthony Cirullo
Be careful flying to close to the water. If you hover to close it can mess with the sonar. Im talking close though not 50ft or something. I used to fly 10ft above quite a bit with my P3 advanced and it did OK. I just know I read about this and thought I would mention it since you are beachin it up ;)

Be careful flying to close to the water. If you hover to close it can mess with the sonar. Im talking close though not 50ft or something. I used to fly 10ft above quite a bit with my P3 advanced and it did OK. I just know I read about this and thought I would mention it since you are beachin it up ;)
There is no down facing sonar on the "H". In future there will be the option to add it on as a module.

Reactions: John S
Ok
Here is my can of gas on the fire.
YOU ARE NOT CALIBRATING THE COMPASS.
A compass is calibrated by it's physical mount and orientation. You can either mechanically or electronically adjust a compass.
WHAT YOU ARE CALIBRATING ARE THE GYROS.
That is why you have to spin the H about the 3 different axis. X,Y,Z or pitch, roll, and yaw.

Now that's a fire.

I guess he is more experienced than the engineers who designed the H and tell you to do a calibration? Hmmm? Every platform with GPS I have ever flown, states to do a first time calibration ! If you do the calibration correctly and make sure you get the okay lights, then it is good to go! I would guess 80% or more on this forum did a out of box calibration, like I did and have had no issues! That recommendation to not do a calibration could lead to "Many" more issues and crashes!;)

*raises hand* - OOB calibration here too.

Ok
A compass is calibrated by it's physical mount and orientation. You can either mechanically or electronically adjust a compass.
That is why you have to spin the H about the 3 different axis. X,Y,Z or pitch, roll, and yaw.

Now that's a fire.

No, that's food for thought. May make more sense.
Now if we could just get some definitive citations regarding some of this stuff.

Reactions: John S
If the H has been calibrated already and gps is working correctly then you could skip it. Too many ifs in my book. I have had a fly away. Not a Yuneec tho.

Well I had one yesterday and I did a calibration. I had a littler control so I Crashlaned it. Took out 3 Props. Damnedest thing I have ever seen. It started to do a Long bank turn with the drone on an angle of about 30 Dig..

Maybe we are talking about something different but a compass callibration should be done before each flight. It only takes a few seconds and thats what sets you pint of return if you need to use the return to home feature

Maybe we are talking about something different but a compass callibration should be done before each flight. It only takes a few seconds and thats what sets you pint of return if you need to use the return to home feature
No it doesn't, the RTH location is the last recorded GPS reading from the ST16. If you move the RTH moves with you.

No it doesn't, the RTH location is the last recorded GPS reading from the ST16. If you move the RTH moves with you.
Well then this is one of the first drones to do it because all previous drones will fly right back to the spot that you did the callibration. I cant tell you how many vids are on youtube of people that used there return to home and thought it would follow the transmitter but were sadly mistaken

You can go to YouTube and type in callibrating your drone and get a ton of info first hand about it and what it does also.

Well then this is one of the first drones to do it because all previous drones will fly right back to the spot that you did the callibration. I cant tell you how many vids are on youtube of people that used there return to home and thought it would follow the transmitter but were sadly mistaken
Yes and no the Q500 did it as well.

Page 9 of the H manual: "When the Flight Mode selection switch is in the bottom position Typhoon H will be in Home (also known as Return to Home) Mode. In Home Mode the GPS connectivity will fly back Typhoon H in a straight line in the direction of the pilots’ current location, and automatically land within 13-26 ft 1 (4-8m) of the pilot."

Reactions: Gyro108
Talk about a fire. Let's add some nitro to that.

Actually you are in fact calibrating the compass on the x, y and z axes. The gyros calibrate during bootup (initialization) based on the compass offsets x,y and z created during the compass cal.

This is why it is very important not to move the copter during the initialization.

Ok

Now that's a fire.

Reactions: Gyro108
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simsone