Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Do NOT calibrate your compass !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've asked mr. Thomass how he got this info, this is his answer:

Hello, after several discussions with Yuneec . I don't want to forbid anyone to calibrate its Typhoon H , however, it is just not necessary ! Due to a high error rate when calibrating it seems probably come to some crashes . I myself have repeatedly calibrated , if only the / because of the videos , my could always be carried out properly , so I seem more likely to have a problem with it . As I said, happy again . The copter is a Ready to Fly System unpack , and fly ! ( Statement of Yuneec ) calibration only when the status light turns orange 3x or he drifts ! greeting

Now we need for Yuneec to put that in writing.

Ab
sdharris, you are correct that Yuneec in manual does not state to do one, but ironic the very first video out by Yuneec was to do/or how to do a compass calibration!
solutly correct D.C., it did and if I remember right you and I had this discussion a couple months ago.I agree with you on the when and where to callebrate,except I set my compass more than you. I know guys that set them almost everytime they fly with no issues.

Reactions: DroneClone
In my personal experience I calibrate the compass anytime I move geographically 100 miles or more. It should also be done when new because it was calibrated last in China.
You can see by these charts that it is different all around the globe. So if you never fly from more than 100 miles from your original calibration, you should be fine, but if you travel, be sure to calibrate it prior to flying.

page1-5400px-World_Magnetic_Declination_2015.pdf.jpg

declination-us.png

OK, here is my take. And I am sure a few have done this.
'IF", you power up your H and it is NOT on a flat semi level surface, you are asking for trouble. "IF", you power up your H in your hand and then place it on the ground, you are asking for trouble.
I have not calibrated my compass as of yet. I do allow my H but to sit in the location I am going to take off from before I power it up. It takes some time for everything to stabilize before you can reliably trust it.
I am NOT an expert, but I do understand electronic compasses and gyros.
Do what you think is best. 20 experts a will give you 20 different opinions.

Reactions: BFD400
Even though the H's compass may have been calibrated in China (factory), who knows if north in China is the same as it is where you are? (Joke)

Has anybody else noticed that after initialization (level surface, waiting for stabilization, etc.) and before take-off, that the altitude and distance telemetry data is way off? I have tried the accelerometer calibration and it hasn't help with the accuracy.

I've calibrated it more than once, primarily because i was flying in places like Wisconsin and Iceland....I will continue to do this
just as I did with DJI products. I think by calibrating you eliminate one more variable in the potential for a mishap. Someone stated that if you do it wrong it will cause more problems. Well the H indicates when it's not been properly calibrated so just do it until it indicates you've performed the procedure properly...you can of course do whatever you wish but please don't take up forum space after it's flown away and reveal you had not calibrated it. Calm Winds to All

In my personal experience I calibrate the compass anytime I move geographically 100 miles or more. It should also be done when new because it was calibrated last in China.
You can see by these charts that it is different all around the globe. So if you never fly from more than 100 miles from your original calibration, you should be fine, but if you travel, be sure to calibrate it prior to flying.

page1-5400px-World_Magnetic_Declination_2015.pdf.jpg

declination-us.png
Nice information !

I don't know the correct answer but over the years it does seem Yuneec has takeen a different approach than other manufacturers. I searched compass calibration some on the Q as well as the H and could not find much hard evidence from Yuneec demanding the calibrations be done; mostly knowledgeable guys stating it needs to be done based on experience. The manual tells how to do a calibration but it is not clear when. With my APM's and Phantoms the manufacturers are proactive - before flight do a level and compass calibration, so I do it. With Yuneec it seems to be the opposite, they appear to say do a level and compass calibration if there is an issue, like in the Wizard instructions

Most of us know Yuneec is a full size aircraft manufacturer so maybe they do something different. I remember in Cessna's calibrating the compass on the taxi way before every flight, but who knows with the technology that is out there what can be done, plus there are also different types of compasses.

So after I got my H I had already read about guys having issues and usually the first question asked was did you calibrate the compass? The answer was usually yes, So I took a different approach with my H and for the first time did not calibrate the compass or accelerometer. My H flies perfect(except the GPS twitch) and I do not intend to do calibration until I have an issue or Yuneec recommends it.

It would be nice if Yuneec cold instruct when to do a calibration? After firmware update? Moving to a different time zone? Only after erratic behavior? Might save us all time and grief.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAPTAINDRONE
I've calibrated it more than once, primarily because i was flying in places like Wisconsin and Iceland....I will continue to do this
just as I did with DJI products. I think by calibrating you eliminate one more variable in the potential for a mishap. Someone stated that if you do it wrong it will cause more problems. Well the H indicates when it's not been properly calibrated so just do it until it indicates you've performed the procedure properly...you can of course do whatever you wish but please don't take up forum space after it's flown away and reveal you had not calibrated it. Calm Winds to All
Great point !;)

I guess he is more experienced than the engineers who designed the H and tell you to do a calibration? Hmmm? Every platform with GPS I have ever flown, states to do a first time calibration ! If you do the calibration correctly and make sure you get the okay lights, then it is good to go! I would guess 80% or more on this forum did a out of box calibration, like I did and have had no issues! That recommendation to not do a calibration could lead to "Many" more issues and crashes!;)

Where does yuneec say to do this? I haven't seen them recommend it unless the drone indicates that it's needed.

Even though the H's compass may have been calibrated in China (factory), who knows if north in China is the same as it is where you are? (Joke)

And here I think is the crux of the calibration issue.

Why does the H or any aircraft of this type need to know where north is? Are folks planning on flying it hundreds of miles cross country. As far as I can see all they need is a working compass to establish a 0 magnetic reference on each initialization.

A person can track a course all day long in an aircraft without reference to a compass. A reference point makes it easier, but it does not necessarily require a compass.

There is no real way to know with absolute certainty when you should recalibrate the compass on a Yuneec TH.

I say compass calibration can't be done too often, but can be done wrong.

Not Correct! The state of calibration of the compass has nothing to do with the ability of the GPS to lock onto the proper number of satellites. The compass and GPS do, however, work together. There is a good primer on compass calibration on another site Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer. While it was written for DJI owners, it is applicable to any system with a compass. Just substitute Yuneec specifics for DJI specifics when reading.
Actually it is correct. In simple terms, if the compass is way off it will affect the GPS by way of the IMU. IMU will error out and release GPS lock.

Where does yuneec say to do this? I haven't seen them recommend it unless the drone indicates that it's needed.
It is a well know procedure for all compass controlled aircrafts, look at the Yuneec video, It is up to you, no one is telling you to do this, but just a recommendation?

A lot of you state, just fly it and if it fly's good, do not do a calibrate! Tell that to the guy who takes it up first flight to 10 feet and has it slam into a tree/building or drops like a rock!.
If you are not wanting to calibrate it out of the box, don't do it, if you want to then do it ! It is ALL YOUR CHOICES ! One tech tells me to do it, one tells you not too! **** half the techs at Yunnec were hired of the street and when you call them say "Wait One Moment, then you hear them flipping through their handy quick trouble shoot pamphlet, or hear them ask the guy/gal next to them and ask them for help. I have heard them !, because they have not a clue! IT IS YOUR CHOICE !;)
I for one did it out of the box, and do it whenever I travel far(100 + miles) to a new location, I think China or even California, for a lot of us, Is far away!
Unfortunately you won't find any literature in the newwst Yuneec Typhoon user manual stating that a compass calibration is required before first flight. Now DJI states this & all DJI Phantoms/Inspires will show compass error (non-flyable) right out of the box.

As you note, if it's not required, it's then a personal choice.

So now we're at "It is your choice!" versus "Every platform with GPS I have ever flown, states to do a first time calibration!"

My take is that this "hobby" has too much anecdotal, non-sourced evidence/opinion.
Yup... you kinda see that in a lot of hobbies though. It's part of the love of the hobby.

I guess he is more experienced than the engineers who designed the H and tell you to do a calibration? Hmmm? Every platform with GPS I have ever flown, states to do a first time calibration ! If you do the calibration correctly and make sure you get the okay lights, then it is good to go! I would guess 80% or more on this forum did a out of box calibration, like I did and have had no issues! That recommendation to not do a calibration could lead to "Many" more issues and crashes!;)
This almost seems like a troll hoping people loose or crash there drone. All GPS based drone need callabrated for a couple very important reasons. First off to make sure that you have connection to enough sats and second to set you point of reference if you need to use the return to home feature. I have never heard of such a thing. Telling people not to callabrate. Uggg You should do it every time you fly. Even if you fly on the same day at the same place but you change location you should still recallibrate or your drone will go to its previous location if it needs to return to home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval