Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Does Q500 4K have Fly Away protection?

Thanks to all for the feedback. I feel better about the RTH capability but will still try to avoid going out of range.
BTW, can anyone give an estimate of what the actual Range is?
I'm sure it will vary by terrain but just an estimate ballpark (is it 500 feet or 1/2 mile).
With a properly functioning aircraft your range is only as good as your eyesight allows. This is known as VLOS. and is defined as the distance you can achieve while still being able to control it without reference to the screen. For some that could easily be less than a thousand feet, for others, who know certain tricks to determine orientation, it can be significantly more but ,in my opinion, anything more than 1500 ft will be pushing it even when using those tricks.

This, of course, is with reference to the H480 size of aircraft. A smaller aircraft you will need to reduce those distances accordingly. For example, I also fly a P2V+ and the best visual range I can achieve with that even when using every trick in the unwritten book is only around 1000 ft.

I have no experience of the Q500. However, the H480 is good for any range within VLOS in my experience.

Reactions: CowBirdBoy
The Q-500 is slightly larger than a P-3.

Many have a perception the range of a drone is the controlling factor in how far they can be flown. Nothing could be further from the truth. The range of a drone is established by how far away we can effectively see them to control them while assuring the safety of others and their property while they are being operated.

So the smaller the drone the shorter the range, regardless of what a manufacturer advertises for range.

Last edited:
I am away on holiday at the moment and haven't got access to my old Q500 to have a look at it. But I know I changed the RTH altitude using the GUI. 66' is just completely useless in most situations. It's one of the first things I did when I got it. I believe you can't alter the maximum height altitude using the GUI anymore, not above 400' anyway, when back in the day you could. Maybe the means to change the RTH has also been discontinued?
I asked Yuneec this question since the trees in the area I fly are above the factory preset. I was told the option to alter RTH altitude is NOT available on the Q500.

Maybe a prior firmware had that ability but an update took it away.

In any event, I really wish I could find a way to change that. For now I will just try and not lose sight (as well as signal) to my Q500. o_O

all 3 of my Qs simply make a bee line back for the home point when RTH is engaged in whatever orientation they were in when it was engaged. So if it were pointing away from me, it flies back backwards and lands, no turning at all, if it's sideways, that's how it flies back.

If I go with a H520 …$2,500 for a set of Corvette tires is easier to stomach ! I used traction control most of the time with my Corvette to extend tire life Fred.

...for others, who know certain tricks to determine orientation, it can be significantly more but ,in my opinion, anything more than 1500 ft will be pushing it even when...

Please jot down some of those orientation tricks from that unwritten book. That was the challenge I faced with my H480 1300’ away even under clear midday skies. Pulled it a couple hundred feet closer and the rest of the flight was fine.

It may not have thought I looked overweight a quarter mile away either.

One good trick is to turn the aircraft/camera around on the trip outbound to catch a view of what the return trip should look like.

Another, and perhaps the hardest one, is mentally keeping track of the turns you made flying away from you. Ya gotta be able to remember when the next turn will be the one to be facing you.

Of course there’s always the green arrow if you become hopelessly disoriented. Push the right stick in the direction the arrow is pointing and it comes home.

RTH is for sissies[emoji6]

Last edited:
Please jot down some of those orientation tricks from that unwritten book. That was the challenge I faced with my H480 1300’ away even under clear midday skies. Pulled it a couple hundred feet closer and the rest of the flight was fine.

It may not have thought I looked overweight a quarter mile away either.
@Ty Pilot has a video in his thread Visual Flight Training that shows a method similar to one that I use to determine orientation.

Also take note of @PatR 's post above.

One good trick is to turn the aircraft/camera around on the trip outbound to catch a view of what the return trip should look like.

Another, and perhaps the hardest one, is mentally keeping track of the turns you made flying away from you. Ya gotta be able to remember when the next turn will be the one to be facing you.

Of course there’s always the green arrow if you become hopelessly disoriented. Push the right stick in the direction the arrow is pointing and it comes home.

RTH is for sissies[emoji6]
Thanks! That’s a great help and too simple. I’ve often overthought what to do about that green arrow while at range in a cold sweat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop