Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

does the 16 need to be split open to clean the pots?

Reaction score
If so is there a youtube video on how. I had all the screws out and it wasn't just falling apart. Thanks in advance. Dennis

Yes they are on the back side of the gimbals

I thought I had seen somewhere how you could just spray them without splitting the case apart

I found the video on the st10 but I'm not sure if the 16 just pops apart when the screws are removed. I thought I had all the screws out and it didn't seem like it wanted to come apart. was I missing something. there was a rubber plug that I figured would have the "secret" fastener but didn't see one under it . I also didn't see a cap. or trim cap. either so not sure what that was for...

If you are careful you can leave the two sided tape under the grips intact. Poke holes through the two sided tape to get to the screws near the outside edges. Getting the grips back on can be a chore to press the nubs back in the holes. Just keep working them, they will go in. Once you have the back of the ST16 off make note of the electrical plugs to the gimbal and which way they go back. I found it easier to disconnect the two connectors to the gimbal, unscrew the 4 screws on the front and completely remove the gimbal, then I could thoroughly spray the pots with plastic safe electronic component cleaner over a garbage can, then move the stick rapidly through all positions and repeat.

Once you reconnect it screw the gimbal back in place from the front then test the ST16 to see if the outputs are giving you full deflection on the bad stick, if not repeat the cleaning. Once you know its clean and working, then completely replace the screws and grips.

I did have the grips off but I only remember 1 screw on each side about mid position. It did have tape that I was able to just kinda push aside. I will take a better look next time....I just seemed like there was something I was missing and I wasn't sure if I needed to take any of the front switches off before it would separate or if there was possibly a snap connect as there is on some cases like this. I had a knife blade at the top corner but It just didn't seem like it was ready to pop...I really didn't have the time at that time so I just put it back together. Now that I know it is the only way to get at the pots I will be more thorough. Thanks Guys

Now that I know it is the only way to get at the pots
If you want to do the fast and furious approach you could do it this way. I would suggest turning off the ST16. This guy didn't, but that could be a fire hazard. It's still better to open it up.
Watch beginning at minute 3:00.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulrs