Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Doing a flight above an ancient Roman Road tomorrow

FlushVision

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Tomorrow I have an opportunity to have a recreational flight above and around an ancient Roman Road in the NW of England.

This site is on private land but I've just received a permission to fly it. Roman roads are fairly plentiful in England and are generally accessible to the public usually via footpaths but, as far as I'm aware, I'm the first pilot that has been given a permission to take off at this Roman Road actually on-site rather than have to fly a distance to get over it.

What ancient sites have you flown over?

Reactions: Dooogie
Are you planning to do mapping flights, or video? It sounds like a great opportunity!

Depends how ancient you want to go? I've flown a few castles, halls, stately homes etc but that only takes me back to Norman times.
There were a couple of burial mounds up at High head castle so I'd class that as ancient.
And here in the NW we're pretty much surrounded by the stuff but we don't notice it!

Are you planning to do mapping flights, or video? It sounds like a great opportunity!
Purely recreational, Tuna. Just a good video opportunity that I couldn't pass up on. I did the flight today with my H using two batteries and did a few passes along the road for about 1100 ft at various heights. Then off into the farmer's field to take a POI shot of some building ruins about 600 ft away from my position, followed by a little fly around to put it all into context. I was in the air for around 28 minutes: 15 minutes on the first battery, and 13 minutes on the second...although I'd got pretty much all of the important stuff on the first battery.
So far as I'm aware, I'm the first sUAS pilot the farmer has given permission to...that is not to say that I'm the first to fly over this road: Who knows what people have been getting up to behind the farmer's back?

Depends how ancient you want to go? I've flown a few castles, halls, stately homes etc but that only takes me back to Norman times.
There were a couple of burial mounds up at High head castle so I'd class that as ancient.
And here in the NW we're pretty much surrounded by the stuff but we don't notice it!
I've flown over a couple of very ancient sites...one of which I didn't realize I'd done until I inspected the photographs when I got home.

I was doing an aerial photo survey for a moorland conservation group (mainly to look at the health of trees) back in 2015 and I captured evidence of a previously unknown prehistoric roundhouse. Those pictures were forwarded to the archaeology department of Manchester Metropolitan University to be used for a future dig. The precise location is still secret.

The other one was an aerial survey of a known bronze age settlement site on Ringstone Edge Moor in West Yorkshire.

Reactions: Snagglesworth
That is soo Awesome !! Here in California we have too many airports and and NO Roman anything . Post the video , PLEASE !

That is soo Awesome !! Here in California we have too many airports and and NO Roman anything . Post the video , PLEASE !
I remember as a teenager going to one of the Spanish missions with a group of europian exchange students. When they were told the mission was founded in 1797 a German kid said "The house we live in was built in 1623 and it's not a museum."

Reactions: Jester
Hello everyone!
@FlushVision: if you fly a grid misión, you will be able to obtain something like this:

(Typhoon H with our new profesional RTK GPS module)

Regards from Spain!
Dario.

That's awesome!!!

Would you mind sharing a little bit of how you did that with a 'grid mission'?

I found a modual by a start-up that was €81. But the big problem would seem to me intagration of this hardware in the programing.

Tomorrow I have an opportunity to have a recreational flight above and around an ancient Roman Road in the NW of England.

This site is on private land but I've just received a permission to fly it. Roman roads are fairly plentiful in England and are generally accessible to the public usually via footpaths but, as far as I'm aware, I'm the first pilot that has been given a permission to take off at this Roman Road actually on-site rather than have to fly a distance to get over it.

That's great. I love to fly over historic places. I've flown over Mayan ruins in Belize. I'm headed to eastern Europe this summer. I'll be going from Ukraine down to Greece. I'm working on mapping places to fly and learning the regulations in the difference countries.

Just a good video opportunity that I couldn't pass up on. I did the flight today with my H using two batteries and did a few passes along the road for about 1100 ft at various heights. Then off into the farmer's field to take a POI shot of some building ruins about 600 ft away from my position, followed by a little fly around to put it all into context.

Let us see them videos, Flushie. Roman roads, yay!

Let us see them videos, Flushie. Roman roads, yay!
OK. I'll edit a short clip to put up here. I already have an edit from the footage but I put it together for my own personal gratification...I don't think it's suitable for posting in a forum. I hope to have the fresh edit suitable for here ready by tomorrow.

I took a picture of my WIFE!

Reactions: Jester
over in Lincolnshire you can drive an old roman road legally, it's not on standard maps but you have a legal right to drive it, I didn't have my drone then but I have a Bonnet mounted view of it

over in Lincolnshire you can drive an old roman road legally, it's not on standard maps but you have a legal right to drive it, I didn't have my drone then but I have a Bonnet mounted view of it
The Foss Way is built on a Roman Road, I believe. The road I shot from the air the other day certainly isn't in any state to drive on unless you are in a good four wheel drive vehicle. Over the hill from where I was standing it completely disappears into nothing...the result of sixteen hundred years of moorland weather!

OK. Here it is. A bit of a rush job, I have to say, but it gives the essence of it.

The following vid starts with a good mooch around a ruined farmhouse. I have no idea how old it is but it looks to have been abandoned for a couple of hundred years to be in the state it's in now. The second part of the vid shows the remains of the Roman Road (two sequences). The first sequence is from about 100 ft altitude following the track for about 500 ft. The second sequence is shot descending with a slight backwards movement from about 200 ft to about 15 ft.

Video rendered from Lightworks on 720P @ 30fps from original 1080p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval