Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Don't RTH when drone tries to fly away...

I read the thread and there's conflicting information about 'fly away" . First for the definition and then what to do when it happens.

What is a flyway situation exactly? You lose control of the drone when you still have connection to it? You lose control when there's no connection? The drone loses GPS and it doesn't know where to go? I don't get how you turn off the GPS on the drone or tell it to do anything if there's no connection to it!

Once the definition is established. What are the correct steps? How do you turn off the GPS?
Also if you wish the H do something like having easier access to the GPS setting, is anyone telling Yuneec directly? Don't depend on them reading forums.

For me a flyaway is an incorrect GPS lock causing the machine to 'think' it's in a different location and try and fly back to the correct one. It can also be a strange compass value which means it 'thinks' flying a certain direction will compensate for its drift but actually it flies the wrong way, tries to compensate but carries on the wrong way further and further. The software in these doesn't learn and isn't intelligent, so it will always just use the information it has at the time. If that information is incorrect or skewed it will do something unexpected and will never compensate for that or realise it has wrong data. As an operator, all you see is it suddenly stop holding position and take off somewhere completely random. I would never expect my machine to fly off if it just loses connection to the controller. It should always enter failsafe, which would mean it either hover in the same position, or return to home. Both of these would function correctly if it's just a signal loss from remote as GPS would be fine.
In my opinion a lot of flyaways happen to people who don't pay attention to KP Index, and don't take enough care with calibration/let the almanac fully download. But it can also be a faulty GPS/compass of course. If it ever happens to me, I'm confident at flying without GPS, so will switch to manual mode and lose position hold but bring it back. Return to Home will never work if the machine can't even hold position!

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis