Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drone Intrusion

Reaction score
In my local newspaper, this appeared in the "Sheriff's Blotter".

"At the Chester airport, a caller reported a drone intrusion. A deputy reported that a man witnessed a red and black drone without lights flying parallel to an aircraft that was landing. He said he didn't see the drone operator or where it came from."

This is a small, uncontrolled airport; Class G airspace. So, theoretically, if a drone pilot has a part 107, he or she could, legally, pull this off (in daylight hours).

Just sayin

Reactions: biltno
Most general aviation 4 to 6 seat aircraft approach and land at speeds between 60mph - 80mph. Touch down is usually between 50mph - 65mph. Larger, heavier aircraft are faster. Turbine powered aircraft use higher speeds.

Perhaps of interest is I can’t think of very many pilots that aren’t visually concentrating on the panel and runway straight ahead of them during the short approach, landing, and take off phases of flight. Unless they’re flying a tail dragger they won’t be looking to the sides much. There’s no time for sight seeing during those critical phases of flight.

Most general aviation 4 to 6 seat aircraft approach and land at speeds between 60mph - 80mph. Touch down is usually between 50mph - 65mph. Larger, heavier aircraft are faster. Turbine powered aircraft use higher speeds.

Perhaps of interest is I can’t think of very many pilots that aren’t visually concentrating on the panel and runway straight ahead of them during the short approach, landing, and take off phases of flight. Unless they’re flying a tail dragger they won’t be looking to the sides much. There’s no time for sight seeing during those critical phases of flight.
Perhaps the 'witness' was on the ground and not in the aircraft?

I can approach at 35 with one of my planes. I've got a Zenith 701. If I have a 15 mph head wind it means I'm only going 20mph through the air. My Cessna will approach at 50 and if I have the same head wind I am only going 35.

I can approach at 35 with one of my planes. I've got a Zenith 701. If I have a 15 mph head wind it means I'm only going 20mph through the air. My Cessna will approach at 50 and if I have the same head wind I am only going 35.

This is not exactly right.
You will have 20 mph and 35 mph speed over ground, not 'through the air'. Airspeed is the same, headwind or tailwind.

o_O

Reactions: biltno and sherm

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold