Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drone Props Wont Start / acquiring GPS

Reaction score
OK So I have a Typhoon H

I have Ran the tests on the remote all check out
I have looked at the readings in GUI, all green check marks, get the motors to turn on in test mode.
Have the latest firmware in the remote, gimble, camera & drone
I have cleared the cache in the remote, re bound everything 2x
I ordered a new GPS board since that keeps saying "acquiring"
Re-calibrated the compass, gimble and accelerometer
Re-seated the FC Board
Does not matter if GPS is on or off

While outside the drone shows 20 sat after 1 hour of just sitting, ST16 has 16
Drone logo says "READY"
Hold start button, goes from ready to start shows a green arrow on the screen, the 3 beeps going down sound and nothing.

Any ideas?IMG_0435.jpg

Last edited:
Most likely will require a replacement F/C. See this post and the other it points to GPS acquiring

You can try going back to the latest and greatest. It is not good having mixed firmware between the ground station and aircraft. You can find it here Typhoon H

While we can all be cautiously optimistic reloading firmware permanently cleared some glitch, it remains a fact that if there is no actual problem with the firmware/hardware, you should be able to operate with any and all versions of the firmware. They need to be matching versions as mentioned by @DoomMeister.

There are several signs when the FC is a problem. The least debatable and perhaps the easiest to detect is the unwarranted indication of Yaw movement when the H is connected to the GUI. Refer to the example video below. Two Typhoon H GUI displays are compared side by side. The one on the left has a problem. If you look closely at it's Yaw rotation icon, you will see it start to rotate. The rotation may be to the left, as in this example, or it may be to the right. It may start quickly, or it may seem steady for a moment, and then become slowly faster and faster. Lots of variations. All are a problem if the Yaw indication is not rock steady.
Quick Introduction.jpg

A deeper discussion of the issue was provided by @h-elsner at Typhoon H GPS lock?

You dont want a bad fc board, i lost a drone when it started drifting from the home point and when i tried to rth it just took off in a random direction and i never saw the drone again

The -1.4m on the first image suggests the IMU error.
The error always manifests itself on the z-axis of the accelerometer. In the GUI you can see exactly how bad (or good) your IMU is. If the drone is standing straight, it should always be around 1000mG, which is the normal acceleration due to gravity (1G). Smaller values will prevent the drone from successful pre-flight check and it will not start.
4GUI.png

@Yuneec Skins So I got the new FC board from you yesterday, and boom, 5-10 seconds and locked in and rand perfect. your board vs the one in it was noticably different. Wonder if you have to have a newer board to run the newer firmware?? Would you like the one I have back for your testings, or just discard it. Thank you for the parts!!!

Reactions: Yuneec Skins
Hello Guys,
I think i have compass issue on my old H PRO i have never seen before. I have read all forum threads regarding to this but have not found the answer to my exact issue. I hope you can help me.
The issues are:
- never get READY signal on GPS LOCK - stays acquiring
- orange flashes at the bottom led (->compass calibration needed)
- when i start compass calibration it always breaks at some point and the led became solid WHITE (i tried several times)
----------
-latest FW 1.35
- i have reflashed the FC to 1.28 with the GUI then back to 1.35
- when is turn off GPS i can start the motors
- the FC is OK i think (i tried an another one too), there is no YAW spinning in the GUI
- the acc Z axis value is normal
---------
Can it be the gps+compass module fault? Or just the backup battery? Do you have any experience with this exact symptom?
Thank you for help in advance!

Attachments

• 2022-11-03-TYH_RoB_1.JPG
    2022-11-03-TYH_RoB_1.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 2022-11-03-TYH_RoB_2.JPG
    2022-11-03-TYH_RoB_2.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 10
Hello Guys,
I think i have compass issue on my old H PRO i have never seen before. I have read all forum threads regarding to this but have not found the answer to my exact issue. I hope you can help me.
The issues are:
- never get READY signal on GPS LOCK - stays acquiring
- when i start compass calibration it always breaks at some point and the led became solid WHITE (i tried several times)
----------
-latest FW 1.35
- i have reflashed the FC to 1.28 with the GUI then back to 1.35
- when is turn off GPS i can start the motors
- the FC is OK i think (i tried an another one too), there is no YAW spinning in the GUI
- the acc Z axis value is normal
---------
Can it be the gps+compass module fault? Or just the backup battery? Do you have any experience with this exact symptom?
Thank you for help in advance!
Do you have any experience with this exact symptom?
No. I can only infer from similar issues.

Do you only see orange? For a compass failure with no other issues, I would expect to see two orange flashes and two purple flashes repeating. Please clarify what you see.

- the FC is OK i think (i tried an another one too),
I assume you saw NO changes in behavior between two flight controllers. Is this correct? Was the second flight controller from a known good source?

Can it be the gps+compass module fault?
Yes, that is very possible. I would currently assume it is the most likely possibility, but not a certainty. Do you also have a second GPS module to try?

Or just the backup battery?
I have to be careful with words for this. The backup battery will not prevent GPS acquisition, but it can significantly delay it. The GPS backup battery does not add anything when the drone is turned on, but if the battery is bad, the GPS almanac data was not retained from the last acquisition. I generally consider 1 hour to be more than enough time for the unit to at least temporarily acquire. If the drone has been left turned on for more than 1 hour with clear access to the sky, the GPS should acquire whether the backup battery is good or not. If the GPS does NOT acquire by one hour, the backup battery is probably not the issue, or at least is not the only issue.

- Yes, i get two purple and two orange flashes...
- Both of the FC-s woirking the same, no YAW spin, and i can start the motors after turning OFF the GPS on the ST16.
- No, i dont have any spare GPS modules, so i have to order one from Yuneec. YUNTYH107 will do it. I also need a new top shell :)
- So the last try will be to wait more than an hour outside to get GPS READY.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Reactions: WTFDproject
Did you do the necessary magic movements to do the compass calibration?

Yes of course. I can start the process by pressing the calibration-compass button but at the second or 3rd "turning" it stops and the LED lights WHITE.
So i have to restart the drone and try again. After many tries i was unable to complete it. Can this caused by the absence of the proper GPS LOCK?
So i am a bit confused if GPS or COMPASS issue i have.. I will try to put out the drone for an hour to get GPS lock..

Compass calibration is a self-enough procedure. It isn't dependent on other position devices. If you can turn on the motors with the GPS off, the best next step is to try to replace the GPS&Compass board.

Yes of course. I can start the process by pressing the calibration-compass button but at the second or 3rd "turning" it stops and the LED lights WHITE.
So i have to restart the drone and try again. After many tries i was unable to complete it. Can this caused by the absence of the proper GPS LOCK?
So i am a bit confused if GPS or COMPASS issue i have.. I will try to put out the drone for an hour to get GPS lock..
Do you attempt this without the props and the camera unmounted? It makes the process much easier to do smoothly. I also face magnetic north while doing this ( not sure it makes a difference).

You might try doing the static accelerometer calibration on a perfectly flat surface before attempting another compass calibration.

I also face magnetic north while doing this ( not sure it makes a difference).
Tested a few times with different bearings and no differences at all. Also, the rolling direction doesn't matter. For me is simpler to roll it to me instead of rolling it from me. The results are the same in both directions.

Take into consideration, finishing the procedure you have roughly 60 seconds.

@Yuneec Skins So I got the new FC board from you yesterday, and boom, 5-10 seconds and locked in and rand perfect. your board vs the one in it was noticably different. Wonder if you have to have a newer board to run the newer firmware?? Would you like the one I have back for your testings, or just discard it. Thank you for the parts!!!
any1 thought oven baking the solder back to life ??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval