Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drone School of Hard Knocks

Reaction score
Ok, my first drone, Typhoon Q500 4K, is turning out to be a BLAST as I learn how all the various technologies come together to provide an exhilarating flying experience. I direct a STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) camp for young people. I'm always looking for new technologies to introduce to our summer activities. This summer (Ci 3.0) it will be drones.

But having crashed 4 times in the past month, I need help. Help understanding what other's have experienced after repairing their drone from a crash landing. Here's a summary of what's taken place.
  1. had several successful flights over the course of 2 weeks
  2. lost control in a sudden wind gust that pushed the drone into a tree and crashed, breaking off one of the motor mounts
  3. ordered 2 new bodies from Yuneec
  4. learned all about desoldering and soldering, but didn't understand the significance of ESC and motor placements
  5. flew again, it lifted off to about 5-6 feet, very smoothly, then in an instant it took off on a sharp left, out of control, crashing into a pole, smashing the 1st replacement body
  6. learned where to put the ESC's and motors and rebuilt again (but didn't know about ESC ID assignment)
  7. flew again, this time instead of taking off it flipped over on take off, never getting off the ground, destroying my 3rd set of props
  8. called Yuneec customer service, Eric was extremely helpful, teaching me about ESC ID assignment and calibrations
  9. did the ESC ID assignment and also learned the app will allow me to override the 400' height limit
  10. fearful of another bad take off, I flew again, very carefully, this time it lifted to about 20 feet, stabilized, I tested rotations and turns, up and down, was working flawlessly
  11. switched to follow me mode, walked briskly to my left about 20 feet and stopped, drone followed along and stopped
  12. began to run in the other direction and suddenly, without warning, drone darted in that direction and flew away, crashing about 50 yards away, busting another motor mount and disintegrating my 4th set of props
  13. called Yuneec to return the drone for inspection - learned that if you keep an SD card in the controller, it will record the mathematical details of your flight - WISH I HAD KNOWN THIS BEFORE MY LAST CRASH
So here's my question - assume something went bad after my first crash, that is causing the drone to do these random fly aways. Anyone else ever experience this? Any ideas on what it could be?

I'm hopeful that Yuneec will be able to diagnose and tell me what has caused this and guarantee a fix. As a camp director, the thought of flying this drone with 40 campers scares the daylights out of me!!

My experience flying the Q5 4k, I learned that CF props are much more sturdier with head on wind gusts. I only used the plastic props in my maiden flight. Then I used the CF after landing the first time and I immediately saw and felt the difference. This afternoon was really gusty in northern Cali. I even drove up to a vista point hill we often visit for flights. It was gusty alright, but the Q held its own. I was able to bring the bird RTH no problem. If you have not invested in CF props, I highly recommend them. It is unfortunate that I purchased the Yuneec bundle that included 3 extra plastic props.

Here's my Baby :)

prop sets. CF_Props.JPG My Baby.JPG .

I have no idea what to tell you .I have a typhoonq500+ that I haven't flown yet.I am thinking now that I may order a set of cf props beforemyfirst flightthanks for your post and input.

Last edited:
I have no idea what to tell you .I have a typhoonq500+ that I haven't flown yet.I am thinking now that I may order a set of cuprous before you first fligh.thanks for your post and input.
As long as there is no mechanical or electronic / electrical issue on the bird, you will be fine. JUST make sure when you initially gun the throttle up, just be confident and give it a firm push forward. Then release the throttle while the bird reaches at least 5 / 6 or even 7 ft off the ground. The position lock will take over and the bird will hover. Have fun....:)

Are you taking off in smart mode and are standing too close to the Q ?? Have you done a successful compass calibration after each repair or at all ???
Did you ever hook it up to the GUI ??

Are you taking off in smart mode and are standing too close to the Q ?? Have you done a successful compass calibration after each repair or at all ???
Did you ever hook it up to the GUI ??

I only took off in Smart mode the very first time out of the box. I was within the recommended distance of course. Then every take off is in Angle mode. Ican be as close during take off and landing in Angle mode. I calibrate the bird each time I go to a new launch area. No idea what GUI mode u mean. If you mean FPV via the ST10t screen, you can if you want to. I am more comfortable flying LOS.
I hope that helps.

I only took off in Smart mode the very first time out of the box. I was within the recommended distance of course. Then every take off is in Angle mode. Ican be as close during take off and landing in Angle mode. I calibrate the bird each time I go to a new launch area. No idea what GUI mode u mean. If you mean FPV via the ST10t screen, you can if you want to. I am more comfortable flying LOS.
I hope that helps.
sorry rowland but my reply was meant for Camp Infinity.......
but .. anyway....the GUI is the downloadable program from yuneec that you hook your Q up to and do diagnostic and changes to your Q !!!
Hope that helps
GUI | Yuneec - Electric Aviation

I have read elsewhere the flyqwqys are caused by the drone losing gps lock.
Losing GPS lock doesnt make it fly away ....you can still fly it without GPS if your skilled in that mode .......i think the pilot is now confused by the loss of GPS and probably dont know how to fly in angle mode, therefore the PILOT flys it away.....
just my thoughts on it ...!

Ok, my first drone, Typhoon Q500 4K, is turning out to be a BLAST as I learn how all the various technologies come together to provide an exhilarating flying experience. I direct a STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) camp for young people. I'm always looking for new technologies to introduce to our summer activities. This summer (Ci 3.0) it will be drones.

But having crashed 4 times in the past month, I need help. Help understanding what other's have experienced after repairing their drone from a crash landing. Here's a summary of what's taken place.
  1. had several successful flights over the course of 2 weeks
  2. lost control in a sudden wind gust that pushed the drone into a tree and crashed, breaking off one of the motor mounts
  3. ordered 2 new bodies from Yuneec
  4. learned all about desoldering and soldering, but didn't understand the significance of ESC and motor placements
  5. flew again, it lifted off to about 5-6 feet, very smoothly, then in an instant it took off on a sharp left, out of control, crashing into a pole, smashing the 1st replacement body
  6. learned where to put the ESC's and motors and rebuilt again (but didn't know about ESC ID assignment)
  7. flew again, this time instead of taking off it flipped over on take off, never getting off the ground, destroying my 3rd set of props
  8. called Yuneec customer service, Eric was extremely helpful, teaching me about ESC ID assignment and calibrations
  9. did the ESC ID assignment and also learned the app will allow me to override the 400' height limit
  10. fearful of another bad take off, I flew again, very carefully, this time it lifted to about 20 feet, stabilized, I tested rotations and turns, up and down, was working flawlessly
  11. switched to follow me mode, walked briskly to my left about 20 feet and stopped, drone followed along and stopped
  12. began to run in the other direction and suddenly, without warning, drone darted in that direction and flew away, crashing about 50 yards away, busting another motor mount and disintegrating my 4th set of props
  13. called Yuneec to return the drone for inspection - learned that if you keep an SD card in the controller, it will record the mathematical details of your flight - WISH I HAD KNOWN THIS BEFORE MY LAST CRASH
So here's my question - assume something went bad after my first crash, that is causing the drone to do these random fly aways. Anyone else ever experience this? Any ideas on what it could be?

I'm hopeful that Yuneec will be able to diagnose and tell me what has caused this and guarantee a fix. As a camp director, the thought of flying this drone with 40 campers scares the daylights out of me!!

Well obviously the first crash was caused by flying to close to a tree in windy conditions, the next 2 were caused by improper ESC assignment, but the fly away in "follow me" mode...hmm, not sure about that. i have tested my Q in every mode and while it has performed flawlessly so far. i have noticed things can get a bit sketchy when i fly too close to my home wifi router. Not sure where you are flying, normally i go out to places where even my cell phone doesnt work so i don't have any interference issues. Stay away from electrical lines and cell towers or anything that can generate RF or EMI interference. I would also make sure that you calibrate the compass anytime you fly from a new location. and put a sd card in the controller itself, that way you can send that info to Yuneec and they can see what might have gone wrong. I understand their customer support is second to none.

One thing that everyone should pay attention to is launching while in smart mode, i have heard stories and seen videos of people who didnt realize (which is quite easy to do) that they were in smart mode. they were within 25' and when they lifted off, the craft ( 9 times out of 10) flies directly toward them at full speed. this is a serious safety issue that I hope yuneec will address in the next firmware update. Ideally the craft should not even start if you are smart mode and inside the 25' radius, a simple vibration and message on the st10 letting you know whats up would be ideal.

Personally, i cant stand smart mode, i find it sluggish and slow. today i found myself in smart mode without realizing it, lifted off ok then flew out for a bit, then i turned the craft around facing me and moved the stick forward and it just stayed where it was ( it had hit the GEO Fence ) and it took a minute to figure out why it wasnt coming back. I finally looked down at the controller and noticed i was in smart mode, switched back to angle and problem solved. Just shows how easy it is to be in that mode without realizing it.

As far as flying around your 40 little campers, maybe helmets and eye protection might be a good investment for extra safety, even the best equipment in the world can malfunction, problem with a drone is once you lose control you become a spectator and possibly a victim. You may also consider putting up a safety net, or (if local laws allow) fly at a baseball field and just put the kids behind the fence at home plate.

Hope everything works out for you.

Safe and Happy flying to all!

Just a shot in the dark regarding the independent tendancy of the bird.
I notice the mention that wi-fi routers, power cables, towers, buildings etc.
These intrusive objects were my first culprits at which to point the finger!
Where were you flying?

My experience flying the Q5 4k, I learned that CF props are much more sturdier with head on wind gusts. I only used the plastic props in my maiden flight. Then I used the CF after landing the first time and I immediately saw and felt the difference. This afternoon was really gusty in northern Cali. I even drove up to a vista point hill we often visit for flights. It was gusty alright, but the Q held its own. I was able to bring the bird RTH no problem. If you have not invested in CF props, I highly recommend them. It is unfortunate that I purchased the Yuneec bundle that included 3 extra plastic props.

prop sets. View attachment 134 View attachment 133 .
Where'd you get that snappy launchpad?

prop sets. View attachment 134 View attachment 133 .

Thanks for your opinion on ht props. Instill use the plastic props and have had no problems. I never want a fly away but still don't know the limits of flight. Will go 402.5 feet in altitude but I'm afraid to push the distance because I've seen everywhere from 1000 to 2600'. I've had great success at 1200 feet. Have you gone farther?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval