Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

E90 camera settings for mapping? terrible results

Reaction score
Hello, has anyone had successful mapping results with the E90 camera? I have an H520G (which uses Yuneec ST10C controlled + iPad + SiteScan iOS app). This is a pain to use for manual camera settings as it won't let you change them while you're up in the air. Thus far I've just flown all missions on auto camera settings.

Today I decided to compare the output orthos of the H520G with those taken from a P4P. I did two exact flights using SiteScan iOS app, back to back, only that for the P4P I used manual settings: shutter priority, ISO 100, and Auto AWB. This was at 300ft altitude and 80% overlap, 80% sidelap.

The H520G pictures looked overexposed and almost soft / no good color. The resulting ortho was pretty terrible, the trees were more like blobs and you could not define the leafs very well. On the other hand, the P4P outputs were amazing. The images were crisp and colorful. The trees came out stitched almost perfectly. Are there any settings/workflow you follow for this? Any help would be extremely appreciated.

• Wow
Reactions: Mike Irish
Reaction score
I haven't come across your equipment set-up before, but it looks very complicated. I use a H520 with the usual ST16s controller and E90 camera. This has the Yuneec built-in DataPilotPlanner for mapping missions which is very easy to use and gives good results. Flight speed can be an issue with the E90 rolling shutter so I keep mine to 3.5m/s, and fly as low as practicable for the site, usually 35-60m. There is also the facility to change camera settings, by pausing the flight and re-setting the camera.

Reaction score
I have found with the H520 and the E90 doing agricultural maps and bananas under a mesh cover it has a lot to do first what program you are using for the stitching process and making sure the settings are correct for the camera and the program. Second has to do with the overlap of the settings of the flight. This might not make sense but thew trial and error I found out that sometimes with too much side overlap and the flight going to fast I have gotten blur in the map. Also, it makes a difference if you refly the fight at the 90 angles. I have been able to produce a map with 0.6 cm/pix ground resolution and the ability to see individual leaves on a tree from 45-meter high. Here is what I am talking about from 80 meters. So it might be a matter of the equipment. Just kept trying till you get it right. View attachment bansurvey_Orthomosaic_export_TueJul09163416.472933.jpg

Reactions: CipLip

arruntus

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I would try to lower the speed of flight, activating the lens correction if your camera suffers from that problem and choosing the right profile color.

In the time of the year in which we are, that we have the lowest sun, I would take it into account because depending on the height the light of the sun can affect the lens of the camera causing overexposure and therefore it should be calibrated manually instead of leaving it in automatic.

You have to be careful with the overlap and pay attention to the interval of photos, lowering it to 1.5 seconds does not give good results. Do not use cross flights if you do not have significant elevations of the terrain, it would be a waste of time when you solve it by lowering the speed a little, especially when you are only looking for orthophotos. Capturing good detail in shaded areas becomes difficult or impossible at high speed.

The default speed of the DataPilot survey missions, in my opinion I have always seen them a bit high. It depends on what you're photographing.........................

Now I can not think of more things, there are many variables to take into account but it is true that it is trial and error, many times simply by lowering the flight speed, you get good results.

Paw

Reaction score
I always tend to fly at lower speeds which can vary a bit depending on flight hight above terrain. Higher altitude makes it possible to fly a bit faster. I rarely fly faster than 5 m/s and sometimes only 2 m/s. I don't know your system (ST10C +...) as I have st16s with yuneec's proprietary DataPilot which works fine for survey mission planning&execution. DataPilot allows for various adjustments of overlap and speed. One thing is worth remembering. This is speed of sd card one uses. According to Yuneec's technician photo interval should not be lower than 2 sec. otherwise there might be issues. If you had st16s you could play here adjusting your speed so that you reach picture interval of 2 sec.
As for colors I mostly fly unprocessed and other things set to auto.

Reaction score
I have found with the H520 and the E90 doing agricultural maps and bananas under a mesh cover it has a lot to do first what program you are using for the stitching process and making sure the settings are correct for the camera and the program. Second has to do with the overlap of the settings of the flight. This might not make sense but thew trial and error I found out that sometimes with too much side overlap and the flight going to fast I have gotten blur in the map. Also, it makes a difference if you refly the fight at the 90 angles. I have been able to produce a map with 0.6 cm/pix ground resolution and the ability to see individual leaves on a tree from 45-meter high. Here is what I am talking about from 80 meters. So it might be a matter of the equipment. Just kept trying till you get it right. View attachment 19960
Hey, it seems like getting it to work with different settings certainly is part of the process. I'm using the software coupled with the H520G unit which is ESRI Drone2Map (it's a simplified interface with a Pix4D engine, I read that somewhere). My main issue is that from the get-go the raw photos that I am able to capture are so far apart in terms of detail that I can't blame the stitching process. I'm going to run some more experiments trying out other settings / compare standing still shots vs moving shots and all of that.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stvnhthr