Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Eliminate Smart Mode

Very well said, totally agree.

Thanks

I mainly use my H for Follow functions. Unfortunately Follow works in Smart mode so if I turn of the Smart mode I lose Follow. I don't particularly like Smart mode but would like to have it selectable for the rare occasion I need it.

I would like to be able to activate Follow independent of the Smart mode like Solo does with traditional orientation instead of headless.

Good point.

Thank you, thank you and thank you. As an up and coming Yuneec pilot. I thank you all for your knowledge on these Yuneec products and for what you are teaching me from this forum. Your information on the different ways of setting my Yuneec drones to my specifications is invaluable. Please add more as you learn, so I may learn from what you add.
Safe flying

You're welcome, glad it helped.

Very nice, I also never use smart mode and do not need it. I made a plastic stop to keep the switch from going to smart mode but this is much cleaner. I will try it when the weather clears up. Thanks for the post.

THANKS FOR SHARING THE INFO, I LOVE THIS FORUM, LEARN SO MANY THINGS.
KEEP SHARING, IT REALLY HELPS US ALL OUT.

CHEERS,
ENJOY THE FREEDOM OF FLIGHT, FLY SAFE, HAVE FUN

I was out flying today and trimming the controls on the St-16+ to my liking and it occurred to me that while I was in there, it would be nice to see what else could be adjusted or tuned to my needs.

Overview

One of the things that drew me to the Yuneec Typhoon H was the ST-16's form factor, integrated screen and the ability to alter the flight and camera controls to one's particular tastes in regards to rate, expo and other types of control curves. One of the things that did not appeal to me about the Typhoon H was "smart mode". Most of my flying involves being in close during takeoff and landing and I just don't need it, nor do I want to inadvertently turn it on during flight and cause a problem, so I wanted Smart Mode eliminated altogether.

I wasn't sure before I actually got into the ST-16's interface, that anything could be done about Smart Mode, but you can! You can just eliminate it by setting the output of the "Mode" switch so that it is the same on the top two positions, just like the obstacle avoidance switch's top two positions are "off" (non real-sense model).

Explanation

Basically, the "Mode" switch has three positions; in the software these are 0-Smart, 1-Angle and 2-Home. Each of these positions output a value that the receiver on the H recognizes as a command to switch between the three modes. They are;

Switch -- Output -- Resulting
Position -- Value -- Mode
--------- -------- ---------
0 = 100 - Smart

1 = 0 - Angle

2 = -100 - Home

And what we want to do is change the output value of switch position O - from 100 to 0 so it looks like this;

Switch -- Output -- Resulting
Position -- Value -- Mode
--------- -------- ---------
0 = 0 - Angle

1 = 0 - Angle

2 = -100 - Home

Disclaimer

Before going any further I just want to say; I take no responsibility whatsoever and would n e v e r suggest anyone do this to their bird or any other, yada, yada and so on.
IMPORTANT NOTE: My Typhoon was delivered with the with the ST16+ (extra antenna') and the Typhoon Pro without Real Sense - Firmware Version V.03.01.B27, I think this is Known as the November update but in any case; I have no idea if the values and switch assignments in other version/models would be the same as shown here. Proceed with caution and remember the steps you take so you can go back if it doesn't work.

The Steps

1] Boot up ST - 16

2] Tap "Channel Settings" say "OK"

3] On the right side - tap button "A01" - Channel 5

4] On the left side button "S4" becomes highlighted - Tap it

5] In the dialogue box that pops up tap "Edit"

6] As shown in the picture below, press the button shown by arrow "1" it will begin to reduce the value (green dot) in position "0" continue until the value is exactly Zero as shown in the picture

7] On the right side of the screen hit "Save" wait for the "Save Successful" message and then return to home

8] Boot up the Typhoon, and before starting ensure that you have been successful by switching thru the modes (motors off just in case) to make sure the green light does not appear

9] Enjoy

Why not just use the Green Arrow to bring the H closer instead of using Smart Mode?

Well guys, I have to agree to disagree. Yes I have crashed my H once when the switch was pushed up by mistake and a few other times had very close calls. I did at one time turned off the SAFE MODE, but every single time I make sure it is not in Safemode taking off. I just take extra step to make sure. Now keep in mine I have also an extra ST-16 controller and for 95% of my flights I have my camera operator with me. once in the air and he has the shot at a good distance away I do flip the switch up so that my camera guy can keep the shot we need and I just fly to the next angle. No with this said I have noticed that in SAFE Mode it does fly a bit to slow... Another good tip is that when you bring the H back to make sure to take it out of SAFE MODE..

Every layer of GPS use reduces aircraft speed. With GPS there's no reliance on it, so you get to go fast. In Angle mode there is some reliance on GPS, which is not as fast as GPS off. In Smart mode and RTH there is considerable reliance on GPS with both slower than Angle mode. Each layer requires more data processing which in turn reduces system speed. This is fairly consistent across all brands that use GPS positioning reference.

I mainly use my H for Follow functions. Unfortunately Follow works in Smart mode so if I turn of the Smart mode I lose Follow. I don't particularly like Smart mode but would like to have it selectable for the rare occasion I need it.

I would like to be able to activate Follow independent of the Smart mode like Solo does with traditional orientation instead of headless.

That's the only reason I keep smart mode activated. I regularly use follow/watch for chasing vehicles. I find that controlling the H in smart mode is harder than it would be in angle mode.

I use Smart mode all the time for some photo/video applications. Much too useful to disable it, however, understanding how it works, where it works, the mode's requirements and limitations, and knowing switch positions by touch eliminates any fear of using it.

I was going to say the same thing about using SM for photo/video. I use it frequently. It's like RTH. Some people say they don't ever use it, but that's a feature I use almost every flight.

Hi, Patrons of this forum, I usually don't comment on this forum but always read on the comments folks have to say. I have the need to make my point as I read on the back and forth about turning the smart mode off. Each comments from everyone has its own validity depending on the purpose one chooses to use the H for. It is at our disposal to disable the smart Mode if one chooses to, and my hat off for Ty Pilot for sharing.

Tree, your point is very valid and as I read all these infos, it makes me a better pilot. Your point gave me the knowledge to set my RTH to it highest level, should I decide to eliminate Smart mode. In this case, it allows you to fly high, avoiding much of your surrounding obstacle with hope of you not having structures taller than 400''. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum and making me a knowledgeable pilot.

I may have already said this but it bares repeating; this is not permanent; in fact it can be activated and deactivated in seconds. I originally did this when I was planning to do some shooting on a boat, that was likely to have other people aboard. As a pilot, it is our responsibility to assess all risks before flight and then do any steps necessary to mitigate, reduce and/or eliminate any such risks.

I have since reactivated Smart Mode as the trip never happened but in the future should I need to reapply this feature I can. In the meantime I have yet to use Smart Mode or accidentally flip it on by mistake for that matter. I do have a plan to use it in Follow Me Mode in the future for a product video I am shooting for my business.

Thank you, Patrick, for the instructions and your excellent, detailed explanation of why turning off Smart mode makes sense for you and perhaps others with high level flying skills.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Smart Mode caused me more problems than I care to admit to when I first tried to fly the H. Of course it was totally my fault for not having read the manual and understanding what Smart Mode was all about. I was used to flying Phantoms. After I found out about the 26 foot rule, I was in 7th heaven flying my H around. This elimination of the Smart Mode I may just go ahead and perform as I have accidently hit the switch on a few flights and caused me a ton of grief in the process. Thanks for the original post

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Yep, those covers work too.

mSGEL7zRJYA9qnfnSRMj8eQ.jpg

Reactions: rdonson

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz