Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Eliminate Smart Mode

Ty Pilot

One Hexy Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Website
copperdawg.com
I was out flying today and trimming the controls on the St-16+ to my liking and it occurred to me that while I was in there, it would be nice to see what else could be adjusted or tuned to my needs.

Overview

One of the things that drew me to the Yuneec Typhoon H was the ST-16's form factor, integrated screen and the ability to alter the flight and camera controls to one's particular tastes in regards to rate, expo and other types of control curves. One of the things that did not appeal to me about the Typhoon H was "smart mode". Most of my flying involves being in close during takeoff and landing and I just don't need it, nor do I want to inadvertently turn it on during flight and cause a problem, so I wanted Smart Mode eliminated altogether.

I wasn't sure before I actually got into the ST-16's interface, that anything could be done about Smart Mode, but you can! You can just eliminate it by setting the output of the "Mode" switch so that it is the same on the top two positions, just like the obstacle avoidance switch's top two positions are "off" (non real-sense model).

Explanation

Basically, the "Mode" switch has three positions; in the software these are 0-Smart, 1-Angle and 2-Home. Each of these positions output a value that the receiver on the H recognizes as a command to switch between the three modes. They are;

Switch -- Output -- Resulting
Position -- Value -- Mode
--------- -------- ---------
0 = 100 - Smart

1 = 0 - Angle

2 = -100 - Home

And what we want to do is change the output value of switch position O - from 100 to 0 so it looks like this;

0 = 0 - Angle

1 = 0 - Angle

2 = -100 - Home

Disclaimer

Before going any further I just want to say; I take no responsibility whatsoever and would n e v e r suggest anyone do this to their bird or any other, yada, yada and so on.
IMPORTANT NOTE: My Typhoon was delivered with the with the ST16+ (extra antenna') and the Typhoon Pro without Real Sense - Firmware Version V.03.01.B27, I think this is Known as the November update but in any case; I have no idea if the values and switch assignments in other version/models would be the same as shown here. Proceed with caution and remember the steps you take so you can go back if it doesn't work.

The Steps

1] Boot up ST - 16

2] Tap "Channel Settings" say "OK"

3] On the right side - tap button "A01" - Channel 5

4] On the left side button "S4" becomes highlighted - Tap it

5] In the dialogue box that pops up tap "Edit"

6] As shown in the picture below, press the button shown by arrow "1" it will begin to reduce the value (green dot) in position "0" continue until the value is exactly Zero as shown in the picture

7] On the right side of the screen hit "Save" wait for the "Save Successful" message and then return to home

8] Boot up the Typhoon, and before starting ensure that you have been successful by switching thru the modes (motors off just in case) to make sure the green light does not appear

9] Enjoy

Change.jpg ThreeScreens.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, I also never use smart mode and do not need it. I made a plastic stop to keep the switch from going to smart mode but this is much cleaner. I will try it when the weather clears up. Thanks for the post.

Reactions: Trevor869
I rarely use smart mode but I would not want to disable it. If your H is out of sight, and you cannot see the orientation, you can switch to smart mode and pull back on the right stick to get it to come back within sight. I know you can use the green arrow in angle mode to determine which way to steer it home, but sometimes the arrow is hard to see in bight light.

I hear what you are saying, but for my purposes I don't need smart mode. If I can see the craft at any distance I can orient direction from control response and if need be I can select "Home" to bring it in closer.

I was out flying today and trimming the controls on the St-16+ to my liking and it occurred to me that while I was in there, it would be nice to see what else could be adjusted or tuned to my needs.

Overview

One of the things that drew me to the Yuneec Typhoon H was the ST-16's form factor, integrated screen and the ability to alter the flight and camera controls to one's particular tastes in regards to rate, expo and other types of control curves. One of the things that did not appeal to me about the Typhoon H was "smart mode". Most of my flying involves being in close during takeoff and landing and I just don't need it, nor do I want to inadvertently turn it on during flight and cause a problem, so I wanted Smart Mode eliminated altogether.

I wasn't sure before I actually got into the ST-16's interface, that anything could be done about Smart Mode, but you can! You can just eliminate it by setting the output of the "Mode" switch so that it is the same on the top two positions, just like the obstacle avoidance switch's top two positions are "off" (non real-sense model).

Explanation

Basically, the "Mode" switch has three positions; in the software these are 0-Smart, 1-Angle and 2-Home. Each of these positions output a value that the receiver on the H recognizes as a command to switch between the three modes. They are;

0 = 100 - Smart

1 = 0 - Angle

2 = -100 - Home

And what we want to do is change the output value of switch position O - from 100 to 0 so it looks like this;

0 = 0 - Angle

1 = 0 - Angle

2 = -100 - Home

Disclaimer

Before going any further I just want to say; I take no responsibility whatsoever and would n e v e r suggest anyone do this to their bird or any other, yada, yada and so on.
IMPORTANT NOTE: My Typhoon was delivered with the with the ST16+ (extra antenna') and the Typhoon Pro without Real Sense - Firmware Version V.03.01.B27, I think this is Known as the November update but in any case; I have no idea if the values and switch assignments in other version/models would be the same as shown here. Proceed with caution and remember the steps you take so you can go back if it doesn't work.

The Steps

1] Boot up ST - 16

2] Tap "Channel Settings" say "OK"

3] On the right side - tap button "A01" - Channel 5

4] On the left side button "S4" becomes highlighted - Tap it

5] In the dialogue box that pops up tap "Edit"

6] As shown in the picture below, press the button shown by arrow "1" it will begin to reduce the value (green dot) in position "0" continue until the value is exactly Zero as shown in the picture

7] On the right side of the screen hit "Save" wait for the "Save Successful" message and then return to home

8] Boot up the Typhoon, and before starting ensure that you have been successful by switching thru the modes (motors off just in case) to make sure the green light does not appear

9] Enjoy

View attachment 5365 View attachment 5366

Thanks for the post, and well done!

My TH has been down more than up in the past couple months (latest issue totally operator error), but being the type who likes to dig in behind the scenes I've been hoping to get into the channel settings. There's a bunch I'd like to re-configure, and not much on this (or any) forum about it.

Put on your flak jacket: There are a number of folks here that'll tear your head off for thinking outside the box ;-)

Reactions: Jester and Ty Pilot
I use Smart mode all the time for some photo/video applications. Much too useful to disable it, however, understanding how it works, where it works, the mode's requirements and limitations, and knowing switch positions by touch eliminates any fear of using it. The H is a tool that is equipped with numerous features. Understanding how tools work and how to utilize provided functionality is absolutely essential to becoming an effective operator.

Good to see someone is experimenting with the system though. That's just more options to make use of. Those that don't like Smart mode can take advantage of the disable method if they so desire.

With respect, Pat, Yuneec has "provided functionality" that includes a method to re-configure inputs/outputs as the user sees fit.

If the user doesn't understand or is not willing to take responsibility for messing with those functions,
then (in my humble opinion) the user might consider another hobby.

"hand-holding"?

I use Smart mode all the time for some photo/video applications. Much too useful to disable it, however, understanding how it works, where it works, the mode's requirements and limitations, and knowing switch positions by touch eliminates any fear of using it. The H is a tool that is equipped with numerous features. Understanding how tools work and how to utilize provided functionality is absolutely essential to becoming an effective operator.

Good to see someone is experimenting with the system though. That's just more options to make use of. Those that don't like Smart mode can take advantage of the disable method if they so desire.

Pat,

I agree Smart Mode has its purposes, but I did not turn it off out of fear or because I did not understand how it works or where it might be useful, and I would not suggest everyone do this. I think a lot of users - first time and seasoned may benefit from smart mode, its just that I know 90% of the time that I am going to use this craft - I will not. And as I mentioned, if I get into a a shoot where I find that the smart mode would be helpful - I can turn on in seconds.

Very nice. Just a little extra insurance for those who mostly use Angle mode. A clean, simple software only fix.

When you temporarily lose sight of your drone due to either some obstacle that came between you and your drone, or a very healthy gust of wind, or simply you flew it out so far that you can barely see it, Smart mode is going to save your butt. Especially if you are in a bit of a panic because you can't always think straight or react fast enough to figure out what is going on and where it went, and if you don't have a spotter working with you, you are going to have a rough time. What if you lose video, or the wind kicked up unexpectedly? There are a lot of reasons to want Smart Mode at your finger tips with a flip of the switch.

I fly in Angle mode pretty much exclusively, but there have been times I have been blinded by the sun, and other issues where I just did the safe thing flipped on Smart Mode, and brought it back to me and re-oriented myself to the craft, flipped it off and went on my way again.

Reactions: Subtle Shots
I understand what you are saying and you are making valid points. I probably should have gone a little more in depth as to my reasoning for doing this and maybe some background would help. Coming from RC, the first time I flew my first quad, (Phantom 2) it was ridiculously easy in comparison to flying a fixed or rotary winged aircraft. I was able to fly figure 8s head on, backwards, left or right in the first flight. There was no telemetry or video screen, so flying out 900 feet and getting back was up to the pilot and I found it normal and easy.

I am not saying these things in a braggadocios manner but rather I think all pilots need to build in such skills. As I mentioned before, I think the tools these drones give us are incredible and do serve a good purpose but basic piloting skills need to be taught and practiced in my opinion especially if one plans on doing commercial work and always fly with spotter.

Flying should be second nature, if during any portion of a given flight a pilot gets distracted or finds panic setting in while the craft is operating normally, he or she as a pilot are flying beyond their means. Practice flying should be part of all pilots routine.

The biggest difference between piloting a typical RC aircraft and a modern marvel like the Typhoon is striking. There simply is no room to get mentally behind the flight curve of a fast moving, heavy RC aircraft. On the other hand, if one gets out some distance with a Typhoon, Phantom what have you and get disoriented - simply let go! Check your screen, find the pointer - fly heading - better yet, flip a switch!

And therein lies what I think is a major drawback of the modern drone-pilot-experience-learning-curve. They allow nearly anyone to get into the air and back on the ground without the benefit of having a built in experience of a myriad of scenarios that can happen in flight. I think in full scale aviation there is a term called "subtle incapacitation". (Please someone correct me if I have that name wrong) but basically this is where a small problem takes a pilots focus away from his primary job and begins a string of slight mistakes that ends in disaster.

Drones do this by first letting an inexperienced pilot get into the air, then gives them a screen to watch with tons of telemetry and even a camera with all of its settings menus to fool with. I think a lot of drone crashes are caused due to the pilots being distracted by being overwhelmed and thus incapacitated.

I turned off Smart Mode as part of risk management. I will almost always take off and land within the 26 foot distance, and I do not need to be limited to the 300 foot mark. If I get out so far that I cannot discern orientation, I know I can; within 5 seconds, determine heading by imputing two control commands and noting how the craft responds. And as I mentioned, I can turn it back on in seconds if a flight profile comes up that may benefit from that feature, and importantly I still have RTH.

I hope this explanation finds everyone in a positive manner, I look forward to talking with you guys have a great weekend and happy flying.

Pat

Last edited:
I mainly use my H for Follow functions. Unfortunately Follow works in Smart mode so if I turn of the Smart mode I lose Follow. I don't particularly like Smart mode but would like to have it selectable for the rare occasion I need it.

I would like to be able to activate Follow independent of the Smart mode like Solo does with traditional orientation instead of headless.

Thank you, thank you and thank you. As an up and coming Yuneec pilot. I thank you all for your knowledge on these Yuneec products and for what you are teaching me from this forum. Your information on the different ways of setting my Yuneec drones to my specifications is invaluable. Please add more as you learn, so I may learn from what you add.
Safe flying

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss