Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Everyone check spin your propellers!!

Reaction score
Okay so I was one of the people who got the Typhoon H when it was FIRST released. I have a good 30+ hours of flight time on my bird.

I recently noticed that with the Typhoon powered down and all propellers locked in, if I spin 2 of the A propellers by hand, there was a relatively loud knocking/grinding "loose" sound. The noise is AWFULLY loud in flight also when accelerating forward or backward at full speed.

I thought that it was my motor bearings that failed since I have a lot of flight time on my bird. I replaced both A motors that were noisy and the problem was still the same.

I thought I was going nuts until I figured out the real issue. It's actually the quick lock mechanism that causes this noise. Basically the little tabs on the quick lock mechanisms above the motor become worn out and don't lock into the propellers tightly, causing the noise.

This is a huge warning for all H owners and if it got any worse, I can only imagine that a propeller could have flew off. Everyone check yours and if you have the same issue, you can find the lock mechanisms for both A and B motors online! Hope this helps someone!

I ordered from the same place and I agree, for the cheap price and piece of mind, they are a must have and are probably overlooked by most!

Thanks for the heads up to both of you.

Question; How frequently do you remove and install your props? Trying to determine if time in rotational use or installation cycles might impact on the disconnect mechanism life cycle independent of the other.

I also noticed that the small clips start wearing on the sides giving a bit of play on the propeller and the motor mount, however I believe there's no need to worry too much unless they completely fail to lock the propeller in position.

I am no expert but I took a close look at the way the props are held; I believe that those small "release" clips hold the props in place, but the "guides" within the props (2 small and 2 long ones) are the ones that really push against the motor when it is spinning. Also props have to turn close to 30° to get locked in position and during that turn those guides prevent them from being pulled upwards. Finally, they lock by turning in the opposite way in which the motor normally spins (5 motor mode would be the exception), so even if the dual "release" clips were to fail mid-flight, the force from the motor would keep the props in place.

Again I'm nothing close to an expert on this, perhaps someone with more experience could give a better insight.

Anyway I also got worried the first time I noticed that play on the props, and I'm sure that noise during flight is annoying (haven't experienced that yet) but I'm sure they are safe to use unless props could be easily turned out of their locked position.

Greetings!

That was a good idea. Kind of like the Q500's have the O-rings on the motor shafts to help prop fly offs when the motors brake.

Okay so I was one of the people who got the Typhoon H when it was FIRST released. I have a good 30+ hours of flight time on my bird.

I recently noticed that with the Typhoon powered down and all propellers locked in, if I spin 2 of the A propellers by hand, there was a relatively loud knocking/grinding "loose" sound. The noise is AWFULLY loud in flight also when accelerating forward or backward at full speed.

I thought that it was my motor bearings that failed since I have a lot of flight time on my bird. I replaced both A motors that were noisy and the problem was still the same.

I thought I was going nuts until I figured out the real issue. It's actually the quick lock mechanism that causes this noise. Basically the little tabs on the quick lock mechanisms above the motor become worn out and don't lock into the propellers tightly, causing the noise.

This is a huge warning for all H owners and if it got any worse, I can only imagine that a propeller could have flew off. Everyone check yours and if you have the same issue, you can find the lock mechanisms for both A and B motors online! Hope this helps someone!

I was most likely the FIRST US consumer getting it a day before it was officially released orr at least in CA...have an unboxing video on my channel idroneudrone anyhow the H I got didny have that problem so probably a dud...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trepox