Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

FAA’s Registration Requirement for UAS

Ghost guns come to mind...
A so-called "ghost gun" is just one that the authorities do not know exists. It's not their business what a non-criminal owns - this is inherent in the purpose of the Second Amendment.

Kindly do not relate weapons (which are Constitutionally protected) to our multirotors (which are not).

I can see this post going south real fast. Do you guys think we can keep it on topic and not get derailed with gun laws.

Reactions: PatR
Must be that mess from when, i think after ww2 that it became illegal to own automatic weapons..
However I do feel registration overall is a good idea. I registered mine as a hobbyist and then again after I got my 107 and started operating Aeronautical Images in Florida.
the biggest problems and challenges that I encounter are the differences in rules and regulations between different counties cities and municipalities. Anything flying through the air clearly under the jurisdiction of the FAA, and rightly so. Let's not forget these agencies are run by human beings and unfortunately our species has some inherent flaws. I also agree that you can't legislate morality and the law abiding and responsible Pilots will comply and those who wish harm pay no heed. In the meantime I am comforted by the fact that if my aircraft is lost there is one more chance of it being returned and I believe another writer stated that it helps eliminate me as possibly somebody with foul intent or flagrant irresponsibility to Public Safety and my profession.

Must be that mess from when, i think after ww2 that it became illegal to own automatic weapons..
However I do feel registration overall is a good idea. I registered mine as a hobbyist and then again after I got my 107 and started operating Aeronautical Images in Florida.
the biggest problems and challenges that I encounter are the differences in rules and regulations between different counties cities and municipalities. Anything flying through the air clearly under the jurisdiction of the FAA, and rightly so. Let's not forget these agencies are run by human beings and unfortunately our species has some inherent flaws. I also agree that you can't legislate morality and the law abiding and responsible Pilots will comply and those who wish harm pay no heed. In the meantime I am comforted by the fact that if my aircraft is lost there is one more chance of it being returned and I believe another writer stated that it helps eliminate me as possibly somebody with foul intent or flagrant irresponsibility to Public Safety and my profession.
Would be helpful if FAA just said flat out that they pre-empt all local, state, county, etc. No clueless agency gets to control, just the FAA.

This is turning into a S**T show. The FAA is a three-ring circus. They couldn't confuse the public more if they tried. Oh wait, I believe that's what they are doing.

The FAA has been like this for the 30 years I've been dealing with them. You'll talk to one inspector who will tell you something and then go talk to another who will tell you totally something different depending on their interpretation of 14 CFR.

One thing all the inspector I've talk to agree with and that is there is no way they can enforce drone regulations. They have enough to deal with.

We are writing to update you on the FAA’s registration requirement. Today, Congress finalized legislation that will reverse the earlier court ruling in the John Taylor case and restore the FAA’s UAS registration requirement, including for AMA members.

We expect this legislation – the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for Fiscal Year 2018 – to go through final passage in the House and Senate, and to the President’s desk, soon. We ask all AMA members to please comply with the registration rule once it is in effect again. We will update you when this happens.

While we have always said registration makes sense at some level, we have pushed for a more reasonable threshold and argued that if registration is to be implemented, the criteria, threshold and implementation should go through rulemaking.

We continue to work closely with Congress, the FAA and other stakeholders to determine the best path forward now that UAS registration will be reinstituted. This process will take time but, as always, we are doing everything we can to advocate for our members and protect the model aircraft hobby.

Thank you,

AMA Government Relations

Registration and licensing of the pilot is a must, this is why.
I was at the balloon festival in Albequerque, NM this year. There was a wide open parking lot with plenty of room to fly. At least thats what a fellow pilot thought. It turns out it was a No Fly Zone by the FAA. He was seen by the local police who notified the FAA, FBI and a few outher alfabetical groups. Nead less to say he was in hot water. He got away with a warning it could of been alot worse. Jail, loss of aircraft, a fine... these were the big boys so we must play by ther rules or s..t can happen.
Tom Griffin

Registration and licensing of the pilot is a must, this is why.
I was at the balloon festival in Albuquerque, NM this year. There was a wide open parking lot with plenty of room to fly. At least thats what a fellow pilot thought. It turns out it was a No Fly Zone by the FAA. He was seen by the local police who notified the FAA, FBI and a few other alphabetical groups. Need less to say he was in hot water. He got away with a warning it could of been alot worse. Jail, loss of aircraft, a fine... these were the big boys so we must play by their rules or s..t can happen.
Tom Griffin

Far too many people at the Balloon Fiesta to ever fly there without being a commercial pilot with all the proper waivers, flying over crowds, etc... TomG, you in the area or visiting at the time? BTW, no I was not that fellow pilot... :)

No doubt tom.doing otherwise puts all our piloting into being where you have to be licensed,

I have a sticker with my FAA ID number,my phone number and my name, stuck on the bottom of every drone I own........hopefully they will never be needed to recover one of my drones, but it is there, just in case........fly safe and have fun........I am just a hobby flyer

Im down with the registration thing. I believe it helps us when some local tries to hassle us on something he has never even done any research on. (Rules n regs) But as far as bad people doing bad things with drones, it wont help a bit. Even if they make u register at time of purchase, a terrorist could easily order an airframe,motors,gps,auto pilot, speed controller, props, receiver, and rc on amazon and build his own. Also wont stop all the used drones sold every day online by ordinary people. If anything, it will just create a market. No matter how you view it, the terrorist issue is a problem. And if they strip all of our freedoms because of the terrorists, then the terrorists will have won quite a victory. Thats exactly what they want!
Home made drones were around before the store bought drones showed up......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital