Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Features that would be great in future updates...

Reaction score
After the last firmware update, I am really excited about the new features. Most companies would have used these kind of features as selling points of their next product, but instead they gave them to us for free.
Just another reason why I love Yuneec.

Not that we are unappreciative of what we have been given so far, nor trying to put pressure on Yuneec, but I figured it would be good to get a thread started where people can input what kind of things they would like to see in future updates. (Not counting any bug fixes for drifting or other apparent problems that some have been experiencing)

That way if Yuneec staff are reading these posts, they can get some ideas of the kind of things their customers are looking for.

Thank you Yuneec for this ever evolving bird!!!

I would like some kind of map mode. Where we can see our location and the H location on a map. We could switch between map and camera or attach a tablet or phone and have the map on there.

Bill W.

Well I guess I will get things started.

1. I think it would be fantastic if it were made possible to adjust WB via Kelvin. This would save so much time in setting up white balance. I rarely use the presets, so I have to point the camera at what setting I want and then select "Lock." A Kelvin adjustment would be a major feature upgrade for me.

2. Also, it would great if all camera settings were saved. (Maybe even the ability to save user presets, but maybe I am asking too much) At least if we could have the settings stay the same until the ST16 is turned off. Right now all of the settings revert back to auto whenever the H battery is replaced, or if you flip between photo and video modes.

3. Maybe a small box (very small box) indicating whether the landing gear is up or down. This would really help those of us that fly FPV. For some reason, every once and a while I have to toggle the landing gear switch a couple to times to get it to work.

4. This one is a major feature and probably would not be implemented in this version of the H, but it would be great to see in future upgrades. This feature could be accomplished in 2 ways. Either Yuneec could manufacture a small tracking device that could be assigned from the ST16 where the H would implement "Watch Me', but follow the small tracker instead of the ST16 or Wizard. That way the bird will follow a subject, while the pilot can still be in control of the copter. Another option is to give the feature where the wizard can be disabled as a controlling device and only served as a homing beacon for "Follow/Watch Me." Then again the bird would follow the wizard while the pilot is off camera and still has manual control over the bird.

I am sure I will think of other features, but here are a few of my most desired features.

Reactions: Sami Rautaneva
I would like some kind of map mode. Where we can see our location and the H location on a map. We could switch between map and camera or attach a tablet or phone and have the map on there.

Bill W.
I agree, that would be a very good feature.

I would settle for a fix first then update later they still have bad code in the latest update --one issue I have found is the landing gear not wanting to go up grrrrrrr :)

Switch cycling for landing gear may be all about the switch position when you took off. If it was toward you instead of away from you it will have to be cycled.

As for upgrade wishes, I have but one. Regardless of what they fix or add, just fully vet the **** thing before releasing it to the users. Have it work, and work right, the first time for all that follow the instructions!@#%!

Reactions: Brian Mackey
Switch cycling for landing gear may be all about the switch position when you took off. If it was toward you instead of away from you it will have to be cycled.

As for upgrade wishes, I have but one. Regardless of what they fix or add, just fully vet the **** thing before releasing it to the users. Have it work, and work right, the first time for all that follow the instructions!@#%!

Its always down, Uk pilots having issues with it as well -- I agree with your Fix it the first time

The 3rd post down from the top by "David Armstrong" you say your 3rd desire for a firmware update is for it to be able to lock on & track subjects with the camera rather than only being able to follow the pilot with either the ST16 or the Wizard!! This is a feature that the P4 has & DJI hasn't seemed to have any issue with implementing it into their birds & realistically I do not think that it would be very difficult at all for Yuneec to implement into our H's, So yes I'm a huge fan of wanting that firmware update.

My requests/wants/needs

1. I want the H to improve its Object Avoidance after installing or already having the RS Module, many complain that the way that the RS currently works makes it only really viable when the H is flying face forward as it is only able to detect things directly in front of it & not to the side or rear. If the H's Camera that is on the gimbal was also used in addition to using the 3 cameras that are already in use via the RS Module because if it were able to first obviously use the RS for its current capabilities of avoiding objects that are directly in front of the H then while still allowing the pilot to record video & take pictures send that same image data from the CGO3+ into the RS Modules brains & that way for example if the camera were facing to the right hand side of the H & saw an object then along with the RS the H would then be able to avoid object that are in the view of the Camera as well as in front of it.

2. I believe the H already is equipped with all that is needed to be able to tell the Pilot via the ST16 exactly what its heading is, ie 0 to 360 degrees.

3. Update the Firmware to add a button selection to were the pilot could then choose whether they wanted to fly their H in Normal Mode (at the current allowed speeds), In a Smooth & Slow camera mode (that'd make the H fly at a limited speed as to provide you with slower more precise movements for recording) & also a Sport Mode (where it would allow the H to fly at its Maximum Speed of 43.5Mph or whatever it is, rather than only being able to fly that fast when in certain modes of Follow Me Or Watch Me Modes). Exactly How DJI allows all of its pilots to choose between modes & includes a Sports mode to fly at max speed while manually controlling it.

4. Provide us with Firmware updates that would allow us to have most all the same features that DJI & other have like the ability to do Mapping, Scan farmers fields for crop quality, the ability to record Topography (elevation) data. Because as it stands currently our H's are more considered to be toys rather than professional or even amateur drones. Take a few pointer from DJI & see how many different abilities its capable of & ability to provide assistance in so many different area/fields like Search & rescue, flying a life jacket out to a trapped home owner while flooding, Yes it can carry one right now but it'd be nice if the H were a bit more Moduler in design ie having a free channel or a few free channels to where we'd be able to install a payload drop servo & control it at the same time or be able to install a bright search light that has the ability to also be panned and tilted if there are open & free channels.

The 3rd post down from the top by "David Armstrong" you say your 3rd desire for a firmware update is for it to be able to lock on & track subjects with the camera rather than only being able to follow the pilot with either the ST16 or the Wizard!! This is a feature that the P4 has & DJI hasn't seemed to have any issue with implementing it into their birds & realistically I do not think that it would be very difficult at all for Yuneec to implement into our H's, So yes I'm a huge fan of wanting that firmware update.
However, from DJI's own statements, the tracking only works in high contrast situations.
I don't mind having to have a device that it needs to track instead of following a designated subject like DJI, however I would just like to still be able to control the bird from the ST16 while it is tracking the wizard.

My requests/wants/needs

1. I want the H to improve its Object Avoidance after installing or already having the RS Module, many complain that the way that the RS currently works makes it only really viable when the H is flying face forward as it is only able to detect things directly in front of it & not to the side or rear. If the H's Camera that is on the gimbal was also used in addition to using the 3 cameras that are already in use via the RS Module because if it were able to first obviously use the RS for its current capabilities of avoiding objects that are directly in front of the H then while still allowing the pilot to record video & take pictures send that same image data from the CGO3+ into the RS Modules brains & that way for example if the camera were facing to the right hand side of the H & saw an object then along with the RS the H would then be able to avoid object that are in the view of the Camera as well as in front of it.

2. I believe the H already is equipped with all that is needed to be able to tell the Pilot via the ST16 exactly what its heading is, ie 0 to 360 degrees.

3. Update the Firmware to add a button selection to were the pilot could then choose whether they wanted to fly their H in Normal Mode (at the current allowed speeds), In a Smooth & Slow camera mode (that'd make the H fly at a limited speed as to provide you with slower more precise movements for recording) & also a Sport Mode (where it would allow the H to fly at its Maximum Speed of 43.5Mph or whatever it is, rather than only being able to fly that fast when in certain modes of Follow Me Or Watch Me Modes). Exactly How DJI allows all of its pilots to choose between modes & includes a Sports mode to fly at max speed while manually controlling it.

4. Provide us with Firmware updates that would allow us to have most all the same features that DJI & other have like the ability to do Mapping, Scan farmers fields for crop quality, the ability to record Topography (elevation) data. Because as it stands currently our H's are more considered to be toys rather than professional or even amateur drones. Take a few pointer from DJI & see how many different abilities its capable of & ability to provide assistance in so many different area/fields like Search & rescue, flying a life jacket out to a trapped home owner while flooding, Yes it can carry one right now but it'd be nice if the H were a bit more Moduler in design ie having a free channel or a few free channels to where we'd be able to install a payload drop servo & control it at the same time or be able to install a bright search light that has the ability to also be panned and tilted if there are open & free channels.
These would definitely be some great features, although they do seem to have a free Aux channel, so apparently they have some plans for that button. It would be great if it was assignable.

Reactions: Tom C
Move the GPS on/off to the Aux button.
2-3 second press to turn off, quick press to turn back on.
I like David's idea of a GPS tracker that the camera would follow allowing you to only have to fly.
I also agree preset camera settings that can be saved and called back with ease.
Would also like to be able to select which axis the cruise control uses. There are times I'd like to have some slow yaw.
I'd like to see some documentation updates, we are still on version 1.1 manual.

These would definitely be some great features, although they do seem to have a free Aux channel, so apparently they have some plans for that button. It would be great if it was assignable.
Wait so the aux button is free & open & does is not in use by anything? Cuz I know that when I flip the Pan switch (cannot remember what position) but when the camera is pointed anywhere except for directly forward then I press the AUX button it immediately pans the camera back to facing straight forward front facing but I think that now after either the last update or maybe the one before that same action that the camera pans automatically to front facing can now be achieved by only having to flip the pan switch to a certain position. But other than the AUX button that you know of that is not already designated to controlling something do you know if there are ANY other channels that may be open or possibly even a button or a channel open only when some switch is in a specific position or whatever? I ask this only because after trying out my H with my 2 Lume Cubes installed I found them to be quite heavy & make it fly in such a way that I don't particularly like so I have now found 2 different version of a spot/search light that comes with a fully capable pan/tilt mount & even possible to control the ON/OFF/STROBE etc functions of the light but you need to have a few open free channels to be able to do this, if we do not have any additional free channels do you by chance know of any possible way to maybe expand on our current receiver setup by maybe adding on an expanding channel pluggin unit to our receivers or even is it possible to add a complete new AUX receiver box unit into the H even if I had to use an additional control? I'd think it should be possible to expand on our current 16 channels being that our tx rx setup is digital & not analog anyway. I've also seen pictures (when I search using the terms "ST16 transmitter Tray" on google) of different tx's sitting in various different trays & then having what looks to be 2 additional joysticks 1 on each side that look to be able to be used to pinch & twist for various reasons & they all look like they are just connected to the TX obviously after opening it up & doing a little wiring first. If you need/ want I can send you a picture of what it is that Im talking about.

With DJI admitting that their object lock & follow technology only works in high contrast settings then I think that Yuneec could even make some small little beacon trackers to sell that then we could for recording purposes or whatever be able to bind to our ST16's & then have whomever we are trying to track put them into their pockets so it could sense a signal from them, & by doing this method we could potentially buy as many as we wanted of those beacons & for example be able to Bing upto say 5 to 10 of them to our ST16's before our flight that way while flying we could first select the 1st beacon for the H to follow with its cam & then if we wanted/needed we could then press a button to stop the H from tracking that beacon & fly we as the pilot controlling it could fly over to a different spot were another person that has one of the beacons is at & once there select that particular beacon ID # & tell the H to lock its Cam onto that subject.

Tom,

With all due respect, I do military grade UAV's for a living, flown 'em, built 'em, repaired 'em, performed R&D with 'em for a long time, and DJI object tracking is crap, and will remain that way until massively more processing power goes into the systems, gimbals become vastly more advanced than what you can buy now, and the price jumps 20 fold before you even get to the aircraft. There is some extremely great object tracking out there, and some can track multiple targets. In some cases hundreds of targets. A quick You Tube visit to watch a 2D3 demonstration video from years ago will help establish that. None of them use vibration mount gimbals, all of them use electronic computerized stabilization, and the camera alone costs 20+ times what our entire aircraft do for an entry level unit. I've used similar hardware but it certainly didn't come on a $1,300.00 toy aircraft. What you can have at the basement level price point is fun to play with, but don't take it in any way seriously.

The same applies to object avoidance if you want to fly fast and use it. It can and has been done but again a tremendous amount of processing power is involved and the sensor suite is extremely complex, and still short of perfection. The people pushing the technology are groups like NASA and DARPA. People complain about the price of an H with Real Sense or an Inspire with the good cameras but they have no concept of what it takes to make a truly advanced UAV and the costs associated with obtaining just the aircraft and payload, not to mention the command and control system required to operate it. ****, we can't even depend on what we have to operate accurately and reliably beyond a few thousand feet and our cameras won't provide any kind of usable imagery at that distance.

Point being you are not going to obtain the sensor suite you desire that functions effectively at a price point you can afford unless you happen to be a multi millionaire with millions in disposable income, and government permission to obtain it. The comparisons to DJI stuff is a waste of time and serves no useful purpose. If you want what DJI stuff can do, buy the DJI and be done with it.

BTW, whenever you flip the pan switch to the top position the camera goes to front and center. The Aux button has nothing to do with it. It has functioned that way from day one.

Reactions: azpilot61
1. I think it would be fantastic if it were made possible to adjust WB via Kelvin. This would save so much time in setting up white balance. I rarely use the presets, so I have to point the camera at what setting I want and then select "Lock." A Kelvin adjustment would be a major feature upgrade for me.
2. Also, it would great if all camera settings were saved. (Maybe even the ability to save user presets, but maybe I am asking too much) At least if we could have the settings stay the same until the ST16 is turned off. Right now all of the settings revert back to auto whenever the H battery is replaced, or if you flip between photo and video modes.

Move the GPS on/off to the Aux button.
2-3 second press to turn off, quick press to turn back on.

Most definitely the points above as these have been on my personal 'wish list' for some time. In addition to these, I would also like to see some sort of verification before take-off that all internal calibrations (from start-up) have been successful. Right now, from what I understand, if you start up the H and sit it down, and there is some initial movement, things may not calibrate successfully, but there is no way to know this - until you take-off.

Most definitely the points above as these have been on my personal 'wish list' for some time. In addition to these, I would also like to see some sort of verification before take-off that all internal calibrations (from start-up) have been successful. Right now, from what I understand, if you start up the H and sit it down, and there is some initial movement, things may not calibrate successfully, but there is no way to know this - until you take-off.
I would add that I had a similar issue, just once, but I had it. I did not move the TH but something failed in the accs. initialisation. No warnings!
I would cancel the warning of GPS off instead. It is of no use. The pilot knows he did switch off the GPS. He is now in a more demanding piloting situation and an annoying and distracting screen is of no use.
Ric

Reactions: RiverRunner

Bill W.

I think one reason we might not get this is because it would require either stored map data (which the ST16 is pitifully lacking), or the ST16 to have a connection to the Internet. Since the ST16's WiFi is already bound to the H, I don't know of any other way Yuneec will be ble to add this feature, unless they offer the option of storing the map data on a SD card inserted into the ST16. They pretty much painted themselves into a corner in some ways with the ST16. It's a great controller, just not as refined as it could/should be.

Tom,

It's possible I misinterpreted your post. Perhaps let it be and move forward?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ant,

If the H is moved immediately after power up I would assume the start up self cal for both the H and the gimbal to be "off". Everything I have worked with that uses gyros, accelerometers, or transducers requires a zero reference point, which is always obtained after the initial power up.

Ant,

If the H is moved immediately after power up I would assume the start up self cal for both the H and the gimbal to be "off". Everything I have worked with that uses gyros, accelerometers, or transducers requires a zero reference point, which is always obtained after the initial power up.

Exactly.
I've often caught myself out with this as I will power up the H (after the ST16 is already up and running) and then I will immediately attach the props. This of course, causes some minor movement and can upset the initial calibrations. A quick restart of the H will sort this out, but I wonder how many other users are not aware of this and then take-off to find problems that could have been avoided if a warning came up on the screen of the ST16.

Reactions: Rubik
Your question is why I mentioned it. My guess is many don't have in depth hands on experience with some of this stuff and may inadvertently generate avoidable issues.

Reactions: ArnhemAnt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval