Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Fifth motor error?

Reaction score
So yesterday while filming a cross country meet my Q500 did a 180 degree flip and pile drove itself into the ground. I got a "fifth motor sensor" error on the ST10 as it crashed. This is the second time this has happened to me. I've heard discussion of loss of gps signal, however the ST10 still registered signal and I flew my Breeze the rest of the meet with no errors. I hooked up to the GUI software this morning and all sensors and motors check out okay. So I'm a little lost and can't decide whether to rebuild or move on and sell it for parts. Any suggestions on what's going on?

Reactions: Ranzbaba
I had the same effect. The copter fell down from the sky. Telemetry said motor error, but the error went away. So I have replaced the body and started to test. I fly good in the first tests but then again I lost one motor during the flight. In the telemetry it was the same motor. Then I have replaced the ESC (what I should have done first...) and since the I have had more than 50 hours flight without problems.

I would propose to check the telemtry files for motor error to identify the motor in question, check the motor if mechanically OK and replace the ESC no matter if it looks good or not. After that an ESC ID Assignement in the GUI is needed.

The 5 rotor error belongs to Typhoon H. I guess Yuneec reused some SW parts from the H (ST16) for firmware update of the ST10+. What it really means is, that an motor error occurs, which should be visible in the telemetry.

Edit: Found the string in the latest firmware update:
<string name="str_motor_status_is_error">Motor error! Enter Five-Rotor mode! Please land immediately.</string>

Some kind of mockery - in this case, the Q500 will land by itself and faster then one expect.

br HE

Reactions: Steve Carr
I agree with h-elsner. Most likely an ESC which is one of the very few parts on the Q that fail. Only way to be sure is to upload the telemetry here so someone can identify the motor.

So yesterday while filming a cross country meet my Q500 did a 180 degree flip and pile drove itself into the ground. I got a "fifth motor sensor" error on the ST10 as it crashed. This is the second time this has happened to me. I've heard discussion of loss of gps signal, however the ST10 still registered signal and I flew my Breeze the rest of the meet with no errors. I hooked up to the GUI software this morning and all sensors and motors check out okay. So I'm a little lost and can't decide whether to rebuild or move on and sell it for parts. Any suggestions on what's going on?
Wow! After reading this i fell very, very lucky! I have seen this error message: Motor error! "Five -Rotor mode! Please land immediately."
I have seen this message on more than one occasion as I'm preparing to fly the drone. Since the drone was not in the air i considered the message just some sort of glitch. I would restart the drone and the message would disappear. Each flight after was without incident and completely normal. Today however was different. The message would not clear. What should i do now?

Wow! After reading this i fell very, very lucky! I have seen this error message: Motor error! "Five -Rotor mode! Please land immediately."
I have seen this message on more than one occasion as I'm preparing to fly the drone. Since the drone was not in the air i considered the message just some sort of glitch. I would restart the drone and the message would disappear. Each flight after was without incident and completely normal. Today however was different. The message would not clear. What should i do now?

If you have an SD card in the ST-10+ under the battery, you can retrieve the telemetry for that “non-flight” and upload it here or read the telemetry yourself to find the motor that was failing and creating the error message.

Check the motors in the GUI and if the motor is physically good replace the ESC as suggested in the prior posts.

Reactions: SkySpy
If you have an SD card in the ST-10+ under the battery, you can retrieve the telemetry for that “non-flight” and upload it here or read the telemetry yourself to find the motor that was failing and creating the error message.

Check the motors in the GUI and if the motor is physically good replace the ESC as suggested in the prior posts.

Attachments

• Telemetry_00095.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 14
The file you uploaded was the CSV file. Not much useful there.
Please upload the entire flight log directory so we will have something we can look at.

This is the general idea:
How To Retrieve Flight Data From The ST10.

Power up ST10 and let if fully start.

Connect ST10 to computer with USB.

Open File Explorer and find the ST10 controller.

Find the “FlightLog” folder on the ST10

Right click the “FlightLog” folder

Select “Send To”,

Select “compressed (zipped) folder”.

Find the new compressed folder, and copy it to your PC.

Upload the compressed folder to a new post in this thread, using the “Attach File” button at the lower left of the new post.

This is the file from this morning. No flight. This showed up as I was preparing the drone. Rebooted the drone. same message
The file you uploaded was the CSV file. Not much useful there.
Please upload the entire flight log directory so we will have something we can look at.

This is the general idea:
How To Retrieve Flight Data From The ST10.

Power up ST10 and let if fully start.

Connect ST10 to computer with USB.

Open File Explorer and find the ST10 controller.

Find the “FlightLog” folder on the ST10

Right click the “FlightLog” folder

Select “Send To”,

Select “compressed (zipped) folder”.

Find the new compressed folder, and copy it to your PC.

Upload the compressed folder to a new post in this thread, using the “Attach File” button at the lower left of the new post.
Hello Tom, sorry about that! Try this one.

Attachments

• FlightLog.zip
    9.2 MB · Views: 14
This is the file from this morning. No flight. This showed up as I was preparing the drone. Rebooted the drone. same message
Hello Tom, sorry about that! Try this one.

Yes that one shows "Motor 2" failure. Not likely to be a motor, far more likely to be the ESC on that motor.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Yes that one shows "Motor 2" failure. Not likely to be a motor, far more likely to be the ESC on that motor.
Okay.......Thanks Tom! Feel very fortunate that I got this error without crashing the bird! So is the ESC still available through Yuneec? Is this something i can change my self?

They are commonly available on eBay. They are sold as "Front" and "Rear", but the ESC part is the same. Just a little difference in the wiring. Most folks can change their own, but the soldering is a little tight.

They are commonly available on eBay. They are sold as "Front" and "Rear", but the ESC part is the same. Just a little difference in the wiring. Most folks can change their own, but the soldering is a little tight.
Okay, so if I understand correctly. They are labeled front and rear, but they will work in any position? Do you have a supplier on eBay that you like to work with?

Hey Tom, just talking with a guy at Carolina Drones about this ESC. He asked me what the location was of motor 2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval