Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Finding places to fly a drone for hobby uses

Reaction score
Hello all,

Was wondering how many folks have flown their drones in public parks, could be local, state, and what were your experiences? See, my county has plenty of underutilized, expansive county parks and I figure these would be great places to fly when not a lot of the public is around, like during the work week. Some are virtually empty during the day.

Now in my state, NJ, from what I've heard drones are not allowed in state parks, could be wrong on this one though, just hearsay. But I was thinking of contacting our county parks department to see if they allow drones for hobby use. Only thing I am worried about is possibly opening up a can of worms with a resultant ban right off the bat. The only positive thing with this approach is that I currently work for the county, maybe I can get some kind of letter from them giving me the okay. Just don't want to go to one of these parks and have some person report me then the state/local police will come by. Don't want to get a rap sheet at my age :).

I have conducted a few seminars at the job on drones, including use of a drone simulator to get some folks interested and possibly nurturing a positive attitude towards drones. And as soon as the weather improves I plan to demonstrate my Yuneec Typhoon H to some of the employees and will invite some of the upper management at our county to attend. For this though I am awaiting permission, but I think they'll be fine with the demo.

I do have a Part 107 and the drone is registered, so those documents might help. Looking forward to the feedback from the great folks on this forum. Thanks for reading.

Sponge

Question... I was under the impression that as a Part 107 holder, that you have tighter restrictions on you and less margin of
error allowed, irregardless of whether a specific flight is for "recreational" use. Similar to having greater penalties for DUI or
speeding (for example) if you have a CDL... even if you are driving your own passenger vehicle at the time. So as a Part 107
pilot, there is no "hobby use" leeway. Is that incorrect?

Eagle Eye..Check your local parks rules and regulations. Most cities, towns and villages post these online. I found that in our area, (Upstate NY ) RC Models have been banned way before drones came out
(§ 148-18Certain toys prohibited.
Models, such as miniature planes, cars, rockets or boats, that produce loud noises or are hazardous are not permitted to be operated within the confines of the park except in areas designated by the Commissioner.)
We have gone to State Parks Commissioners and have asked permission to fly over falls and other areas and have been denied. ( We have shown our FAA papers ) Reason is because the parks people do not want to have to risk their safty trying to retrieve crashed drones in the gorges>
I'll report back later on other findings I have been involved with.

PS Check out the Owners Maps I have started. This is one of the things I would like to have, check out where other Pilots are located by you so maybe they can share possible flying locations
Yuneec Typhoon Pilots Home Locations Map

Reactions: spongella
Question... I was under the impression that as a Part 107 holder, that you have tighter restrictions on you and less margin of
error allowed, irregardless of whether a specific flight is for "recreational" use. Similar to having greater penalties for DUI or
speeding (for example) if you have a CDL... even if you are driving your own passenger vehicle at the time. So as a Part 107
pilot, there is no "hobby use" leeway. Is that incorrect?

The FAA looks at any and all UAS flights on a flight-by-flight basis. You can be a part 107 holder and fly as a hobbyist as long as you stay within the rules that apply to the hobby for the duration of that flight and likewise, if you're operating under part 107 rules you must stay within that framework for the duration of that flight.
Pat

Thanks for the responses. Checking the park rules and regs is an excellent idea. Duuuuhhhh - should have thought of that in the first place! :) Same thing with the local parks. A good site is for all to check out is just Google "ECode360" for local ordinances around the country.

Checked with Hunterdon County NJ Parks and Recreation yesterday, they said no drones allowed in the parks.

The safest place to fly is where there is no one. I drive about a hour into the mountains, if I see someone around I keep driving.
Can't have a problem if no one sees you and you are flying in a legal place.

I find it much easier to avoid the dronephobia fools than trying interact with them.
Trying to explain a drone to a imbecile just wastes your time.

The safest place to fly is where there is no one. I drive about a hour into the mountains, if I see someone around I keep driving.
Can't have a problem if no one sees you and you are flying in a legal place.

I find it much easier to avoid the dronephobia fools than trying interact with them.
Trying to explain a drone to a imbecile just wastes your time.

I agree and if any one asks its a RC helicopter not a drone

Hello all,

Was wondering how many folks have flown their drones in public parks, could be local, state, and what were your experiences? See, my county has plenty of underutilized, expansive county parks and I figure these would be great places to fly when not a lot of the public is around, like during the work week. Some are virtually empty during the day.
Sponge

I live in northern NY state and haven't had any problems in local (town/city) parks in my area. I've been flying my RC planes for years with no problems. I just make sure there are not many people there at the time, and never fly over anyone. As Atomic08 said, check the local park regulations. We can't use them in state parks, at least not during the camping season. The exception being the Adirondack State Park. It's much too large (~6 million acres) to restrict flying since much of it is public and private land. I've flown in a few smaller state parks during the off season. Also, look for some wide open land, if there is any in your area. Many times I'll just drive out into the country and fly off some back road. I still stay away from houses, though. If it is private property, I simply ask the landowner for permission. I haven't gotten a "no" yet. They are usually interested in watching the flight.

Last edited:
Where I live is on the Western side of the Pennine moors (Between Oldham & Rochdale) in the U.K. so I only have to drive a mile or so before I'm in the middle of no-where. That's ideal for a recreation flight, but bleak moorland doesn't give much scope for interesting things to film or photograph and it's true to say that in that area I've already filmed and photographed just about everything worth my attention. So, instead of repeatedly re-visiting those sites to take video and pictures of stuff that I've already captured I'm constantly on the look out for new sites to visit: I've spent many a hour on Google Earth to that end.

I do find, now, that some sites that I would have previously considered for a flight I'm reluctant to go to now knowing that some of these areas have drone bans, or are stalked by people who will give me grief.

So, unless I want to fly in an area that I've already done to death, flying in an area where I'm not going to get grief is getting harder by the week.

I still have my commercial side to things and I don't get grief from my clients...they want me to fly in an area, but the hobby side of things is definitely getting harder.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech