Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Firing off a flash through the ST16?

Reaction score
This may have been asked before and if so I apologise but I came across an image earlier today which showed an image of a wedding couple being photographed from a birds eye view and they where lit like someone had fired a flash on them, I was just wondering is there a way to sink the St16 with say a pocket wizard or other triggers?

This may have been asked before and if so I apologise but I came across an image earlier today which showed an image of a wedding couple being photographed from a birds eye view and they where lit like someone had fired a flash on them, I was just wondering is there a way to sink the St16 with say a pocket wizard or other triggers?
Even if you could get a flash to sync with the camera, it would have to be a **** of a meaty flash to be effective from any distance which you could normally shoot an aerial. The H wont fly with much more weight than what is already on it.
The other problem is you would have to have some kind of metering in the CGO3P to talk to the flash to get a correct exposure, or else preset a flash value and use manual ev to get the right exposure.
In short in aint going to work for lots of reasons.
I'd suspect the effect you saw was done in post.

Even if you could get a flash to sync with the camera, it would have to be a **** of a meaty flash to be effective from any distance which you could normally shoot an aerial. The H wont fly with much more weight than what is already on it.
The other problem is you would have to have some kind of metering in the CGO3P to talk to the flash to get a correct exposure, or else preset a flash value and use manual ev to get the right exposure.
In short in aint going to work for lots of reasons.
I'd suspect the effect you saw was done in post.
Here is the photo in question which to me looks to me had a flash pinging them out from the shot? I'm sure the drone wouldn't struggle carrying a Pocket wizard plus 3 or something similar?
Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 00.50.33.png

Here is the photo in question which to me looks to me had a flash pinging them out from the shot? I'm sure the drone wouldn't struggle carrying a Pocket wizard plus 3 or something similar?
View attachment 3361
That light source is low to the ground in front of them, not from above. I would also suspect the shadow is brushed in, or maybe the entire image is darkened and just they are painted out of the darkness.
The problem is if you ever could get a flash close enough on a drone to be effective, you would then need it talking to the camera to get a correct exposure. This aint never going to happen on a H or anything of its size, and even on a larger machine, if it was close enough to actually light a subject it probably would be a lot easier to place flash guns close to the subject and wirelessly control from the aerial camera. Something like how the Nikon creative lighting system works.

That light source is low to the ground in front of them, not from above. I would also suspect the shadow is brushed in, or maybe the entire image is darkened and just they are painted out of the darkness.
The problem is if you ever could get a flash close enough on a drone to be effective, you would then need it talking to the camera to get a correct exposure. This aint never going to happen on a H or anything of its size, and even on a larger machine, if it was close enough to actually light a subject it probably would be a lot easier to place flash guns close to the subject and wirelessly control from the aerial camera. Something like how the Nikon creative lighting system works.
You've picked me up wrong, Yes I want to firer the flash from the ground over the subject using a trigger attached to the drone.

You've picked me up wrong, Yes I want to firer the flash from the ground over the subject using a trigger attached to the drone.
Ah ha...thats a more imaginable situation...I've no idea ) I guess if you were willing to soldier something to the photo button, you might have a chance, but then again there may be a difference in delay times from the camera opening to the flash firing...it would be interesting though if you figured it out. I don't think you'd need a fancy trigger like that Pocket wizard plus 3, just the most simple radio or light type like nikon...
If you were after the same effect as that photo above I think you could recreate it with multiple exposures, I think that shot was shot in normal bright daylight and a gradient was placed over the entire image and then area where the couple are was just brushed out of the gradient, and their shadows were brushed in stronger. You could do something similar with multiple exposures and just brush out the area of interest.

Ah ha...thats a more imaginable situation...I've no idea ) I guess if you were willing to soldier something to the photo button, you might have a chance, but then again there may be a difference in delay times from the camera opening to the flash firing...it would be interesting though if you figured it out. I don't think you'd need a fancy trigger like that Pocket wizard plus 3, just the most simple radio or light type like nikon...
If you were after the same effect as that photo above I think you could recreate it with multiple exposures, I think that shot was shot in normal bright daylight and a gradient was placed over the entire image and then area where the couple are was just brushed out of the gradient, and their shadows were brushed in stronger. You could do something similar with multiple exposures and just brush out the area of interest.
You could be right? I thought it could be a good topic for discussion plus one I could use for my wedding shoot in the next couple of weeks

You could be right? I thought it could be a good topic for discussion plus one I could use for my wedding shoot in the next couple of weeks
Doing anything to the ST16 is not straight forward, there is a link somewhere to a guy on a german forum who has tried things like this. I'd say play around with your camera and photoshop before the big day so you figure it all out to show who flies your H what exposures to take..

Reactions: Marky
i don't know , it look like a painting , in the lower right corrnor there is a signature also the flash in too far in front of the figures .

Just video the whole thing with a slow shutter speed and then grab a frame from the video.

Are you sure it's not a continuous light source?

Looks like a photo taken and edited in post to a "painting" Presets selection and the bride/groom where either in a constant light, or in post also, they were highlighted with a lightening pen.
I can replicate this type photo in my PhotoDirector 7

On a related note.... The pocked wizard uses 2.4GHz right? I'd be concerned when it transmits the sync signal it might interfere with the control of the H ---- Perhaps just for a moment, but something I would test before I work to hard on strapping one to the H.

You could do it by just lowering the exposure of all but the couple in post, but looking at their shadow and the strength of the light I think it was a continuous light source and the lamp removed in post using content aware fill or something similar.

Last edited:
You could do it by just lowering the exposure of all put the couple in post, but looking at their shadow and the strength of the light I think it was a continuous light source and the lamp removed in post using content aware fill or something similar.
Yo ! Nailed it !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval