Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Firmware Build 822 Just Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not making a whole lot of sense..

The IMU needs to be calibrated after each downloading a new build or if the sUAS is showing signs of drifting, along with RC remap calibration.

Bad IMU/Accelerometer calibration could cause a significant drift and altitude issues as the RC fights to hold the sUAS in what it thinks it’s a correct altitude as opposed to the physical correct altitude. And the gyro correlates to the IMU unit.

If the gyro and accelerometer are precalibrated within a build package for public release, you guys in the Yuneec camp doing the same mistake that DJI did and corrected during the first Phantom during its first year in 2013

Reactions: PatR and LinsonW
I'll be happy if I can get my camera working again
Do you get an LED when the camera is powered on? It doesn't matter if the camera can't connect to the ST16S, you don't need it for a downgrade. All you need is to power on the camera, when it tries to boot it should see the card, like a computer booting and finding the HD, when it does, it will see the update file and does that first.

I think what LinsonW and 10-8 are saying may be correct. It is possible Yuneec did not originally want (and therefor the Plus does not need) users to be doing constant calibrations other than the occasional compass calibration. When the rest of the calibrations menu was found early in the Plus, many assumed it was perhaps just something not mentioned in the manual (which is what we sometimes see from Yuneec). Maybe there could arise a conflict by doing the extra calibrations unless one is being walked through the process by tech support, so with this latest update, Yuneec has put that menu behind a password.

Over time it has become part of Yuneec lore that after an update one needs to do all calibrations but this may not be necessarily true. I can attest to the fact that I have done only one compass calibration for each of my Typhoons.

I think what LinsonW and 10-8 are saying may be correct. It is possible Yuneec did not originally want (and therefor the Plus does not need) users to be doing constant calibrations other than the occasional compass calibration. When the rest of the calibrations menu was found early in the Plus, many assumed it was perhaps just something not mentioned in the manual (which is what we sometimes see from Yuneec). Maybe there could arise a conflict by doing the extra calibrations unless one is being walked through the process by tech support, so with this latest update, Yuneec has put that menu behind a password.

Over time it has become part of Yuneec lore that after an update one needs to do all calibrations but this may not be necessarily true. I can attest to the fact that I have done only one compass calibration for each of my Typhoons.

Users not being able to calibrate the IMU unit and gyro does not make sense at all, and specially after a new build is installed.

I know it doesn't, especially when that was the case prior to the Plus, but lets see if we can get an answer as to whether or not that is true now.

For any who have updated and are flying okay, can you please report any anomalies especially related to position holding as it relates to how the craft acted prior to the update.

Reactions: RPR
One night, I was up reading the H480 forum and got fascinated by the toilet boil syndrome, because this happened to me in one of my first drone, and calibrations is a part of a long habit that I cannot break. I have to recalibrate once a month, this is how I have been able to fly on a daily or.....

If there are signs of
*Toilet bowl movement – your drone starts to wobble in a circular motion.
*When I see a drifting horizon line, and this can be quite a headache during post-production. Ideally, you want a horizon with no angle.
*sUAS is drifting, even when it’s on GPS
*And ascends without RC throttle input.

Do you get an LED when the camera is powered on? It doesn't matter if the camera can't connect to the ST16S, you don't need it for a downgrade. All you need is to power on the camera, when it tries to boot it should see the card, like a computer booting and finding the HD, when it does, it will see the update file and does that first.

When I turn on the H+ after the ST16S boots up I get this sequence on the camera LED:
Solid red for a few moments
Then solid green for a second
Then 2 green flashes
Then a solid white/gray for a couple of seconds
Then a constant flashing purple LED

No picture on the ST16S screen
Cannot connect WiFi to camera, says "No SSID found"

When I turn on the H+ after the ST16S boots up I get this sequence on the camera LED:
Solid red for a few moments
Then solid green for a second
Then 2 green flashes
Then a solid white/gray for a couple of seconds
Then a constant flashing purple LED

No picture on the ST16S screen
Cannot connect WiFi to camera, says "No SSID found"

What the package transferred to the sUAS successful? That should be a separate dl.

UPDATE:

So, I removed the SD card that was in the camera and replaced it with a clean/empty card.

Started up ST16S - no issues
Turned on H+
No camera
Went to WiFi menu
Hit refresh
C23 showed up, tapped it and WiFi connected. No issues.

Ran 3 power off/power cycles, no issues. So all is good now. Apparently an issue with the card?

UPDATE:

So, I removed the SD card that was in the camera and replaced it with a clean/empty card.

Started up ST16S - no issues
Turned on H+
No camera
Went to WiFi menu
Hit refresh
C23 showed up, tapped it and WiFi connected. No issues.

Ran 3 power off/power cycles, no issues. So all is good now. Apparently an issue with the card?

At times sd cards does that (or the build was interrupted) keep a good 8gb to have around and always wipe it clean from any previous files.

Report back, after you fly.

Reactions: Phaedrus
Yep. I was using a clean card and the update seemed to go on OK. Different card was the last thing I could think of. Computer weirdness, go figure. Had to clear my mind to consider the card.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Well here is the news you have all been waiting for! The results of my test flight.

I have never flown a H series aircraft after an Update before without first re-calibrating everything. This has been ingrained into my psyche by this forum, so I don't mind telling you the thought of doing this was wrought with fear and trepidation! Yet I knew everyone was counting on me (the designated guinea pig) for my initial flight report sans any calibrations except for the compass. So I fired it up, collected more than enough sats, and took to the skies.

If anyone sees my Plus flying around please PM me immediately!

Okay, it's not likely you will because the maiden flight with 822 was absolutely flawless and my Plus is sitting right here. No time for more flights today, but I will be running it thru the paces tomorrow.

Last edited:
So after a full day no one called Yuneec to get the password?
I put in the call shortly after discovering the issue, got on the callback list, but never heard back. Looks like we don't really need it, but still I want to have it. Falls under "Right to repair", and in our case right to re-calibrate. I will call them back tomorrow to see if they will give it out. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks. Hard to "take it easy" with a worthless paperweight sitting on my desk Look forward to your PM.

First issue I've had with mine
Seem your bird work fine now, please share it if any other problem.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I put in the call shortly after discovering the issue, got on the callback list, but never heard back. Looks like we don't really need it, but still I want to have it. Falls under "Right to repair", and in our case right to re-calibrate. I will call them back tomorrow to see if they will give it out. I'll let you know what I find out.
Maybe the password is changed per firmware version, shuold call yuneec and acquire it if really necessary for you. Let's see how yuneec reply.

Reactions: DCH and Ty Pilot
One night, I was up reading the H480 forum and got fascinated by the toilet boil syndrome, because this happened to me in one of my first drone, and calibrations is a part of a long habit that I cannot break. I have to recalibrate once a month, this is how I have been able to fly on a daily or.....

If there are signs of
*Toilet bowl movement – your drone starts to wobble in a circular motion.
*When I see a drifting horizon line, and this can be quite a headache during post-production. Ideally, you want a horizon with no angle.
*sUAS is drifting, even when it’s on GPS
*And ascends without RC throttle input.
Use to experience and see toilet bowl and other issues in early DIY builds and early factory units. But that appears to be something that manufacturers have got a hold on. Have seen it in quite some time. I haven't had to do an IMU/Accel in over 2 years now and that's flying a great deal of builds.

Reactions: LinsonW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulrs