Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Firmware update!!

Also make sure your SD card is not over 32gb. If it is too large it will not see the file. Suggest using the original or stay at 16gb for update. I keep one card that is only used for update. Also use Chrome to download the file. If using IE it does not download the correct file format. Good Luck.

Also make sure your SD card is not over 32gb. If it is too large it will not see the file. Suggest using the original or stay at 16gb for update. I keep one card that is only used for update. Also use Chrome to download the file. If using IE it does not download the correct file format. Good Luck.

Yes, it is actually a 32Gb so I will try it with a 16 and GoogleChrome.

That is a great idea to keep one purely for update, thank you, I believe i will adopt that practice :)

This bloody thing is driving me nuts!!!!

I have formatted four different SD cards and put the firmware upgrade for the ST16 on each.

I was able to upgrade the H through the camera.

BUT trying to upgrade the ST16, with or without the drone switched on, keeps giving me "upgrade package not find"

I did not upgrade to 2.25 and am trying to install 2.27, does that make a difference?

If so where can I find 2.25?

If not what am I missing ...... have been trying for almost 2½ hours now!!!!!!!

H E L P M E P L E A S E ? sigh ( even inserted the micro SD card into the controller itself at one point ... slipped neatly beside the slot ..... and had to open it all up to retrieve it!!!!!)

Make sure is formatted FAT32 and not ExFAT. Also try to use the original SD card that came with the transmitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ddraiggoch
I have no idea why it was not working.

The third 16Gb (could have been the problem) that I formatted, set up with the files and tried worked a treat.

It upgraded and so I ran the bind procedure and it found the bird and then the camera woohoo.

Hang on though :(

It now keeps telling me that "Object Avoidence Fail"

WTH!!!! Flipping the OBS switch between settings cause the warning to clear but within a second it returns with a vibration and locks everything else out!!!!!

Any one else experienced this warning?

Go into System Settings, then other Settings, see if RealSense is checked. If so, uncheck it.
On the ST16 controls, unless you have the RealSense module., it should not have an error unless you are air-born. So until you lift off, turn the OBS switch up to the first position and turn it off. One air-born turn it on. You should not have any errors at this point. If you do, then call Yuneec. Good Luck.

Go into System Settings, then other Settings, see if RealSense is checked. If so, uncheck it.
On the ST16 controls, unless you have the RealSense module., it should not have an error unless you are air-born. So until you lift off, turn the OBS switch up to the first position and turn it off. One air-born turn it on. You should not have any errors at this point. If you do, then call Yuneec. Good Luck.

Thank you for your guidance, I appreciate it.
RealSense was not checked. Checking it and switching the ABS to off stopped the error (which , with the RealSense off, would clear when moving between switch points and buzzing in when set in each of the three positions)??????

I flagged the advanced settings to on and went into channels. Set the OBS switch positions to OFF and I am okay now ... I think.

Yet to try flying, this was all indoors.

I finally did the update. Everything is working fine so far for two flights. I do not like the forced 400 ft ceiling. I never fly higher than that but I'm a natural rebel and bought this unit without the restriction and now they throw it on us without even mentioning it to us. Not good business Yuneec.

I finally did the update. Everything is working fine so far for two flights. I do not like the forced 400 ft ceiling. I never fly higher than that but I'm a natural rebel and bought this unit without the restriction and now they throw it on us without even mentioning it to us. Not good business Yuneec.

You know, I hadn't given that a thought.

If you are inspecting a tower or any such tall structure the rules allow you to go as much as 400 feet above and out from that (even if that thing exceeds 1200 feet or more) so the restriction is really unwarranted.

Is it not possible to increase the height limit from within the GUI?

You know, I hadn't given that a thought.

If you are inspecting a tower or any such tall structure the rules allow you to go as much as 400 feet above and out from that (even if that thing exceeds 1200 feet or more) so the restriction is really unwarranted.

Is it not possible to increase the height limit from within the GUI?

The GUI will show the change but it will not actually make the change. Currently the only way around it is to update to the latest firmware and then back off the autopilot to 1.29. This will give you all the latest and greatest but still allow for flights higher than 400ft. From what I understand reading other posts on the forum, Yuneec is working on a fix for this but is also working on another firmware update that is being tested at this time.

Well I finally put in last update and until this update no problems but this time after compas calibration said successful I took it up to 10 ft and it said to land and recalibrate compas so after 3 recalibrations seems to be fine controls seem a little spongie I'll fly some more maybe just have to get use to it

Getting ready to fly my H today (maybe) and several issues I need to tackle first,

I've never done a firmware update on my Yuneec Q 500 4Ks. The all flew well without a firmware update. I've flown airplanes at night, in thunderstorms by myself.. flown inverted 20 feet off the ground clipping a ribbon on poles at an airshow, had a successful forced landing at an airport that was closed do to fog... but firmware updates... no experience there. (Why do they call these darned things RTF?)

I got on Google this morning and looked up firmware updates for the Typhoon H and came across numerous warnings (looked like previews for horror movies.) One site I came across I suspect is a Russian hack job. They spelled out "Firmware DROHNE." and next to that was "ATTENTION: Don't fly with this software!" So, I was motivated NOT to download anything from that website.

Next internet search showed some chap on Facebook from the UK (I think) who states "Update VIA PC on Windows 7 preferably Windows 10... (Then he has about 12 more stages of protocol to go though.)

(BTW, I'm a Mac guy and as I type this one my Dell, running Windows 7 which I previously had installed Windows Hate {I mean Windows 8} I'm getting less warm and fuzzy about even doing a firmware update on the bird or the ST-16. )

I'll have one last question about an odd looking gizmo I found in the box that probably attaches to the drone but I'm having difficulty finding in the manual what and where this small item is, and where it is supposed to go. I am beginning to think it fell out of a pocket of a proctologist who was taking a factory tour, and this odd device somehow landed into the box my Tyhpoon H was loaded into.

Last but not least, whoever recommended the EV Peak Dual Typhoon charger to me, "THANK YOU." So much better to have this new EV Peak than the mess I have for the batteries for my Q500s.

Getting ready to fly my H today (maybe) and several issues I need to tackle first,

I've never done a firmware update on my Yuneec Q 500 4Ks. The all flew well without a firmware update. I've flown airplanes at night, in thunderstorms by myself.. flown inverted 20 feet off the ground clipping a ribbon on poles at an airshow, had a successful forced landing at an airport that was closed do to fog... but firmware updates... no experience there. (Why do they call these darned things RTF?)

I got on Google this morning and looked up firmware updates for the Typhoon H and came across numerous warnings (looked like previews for horror movies.) One site I came across I suspect is a Russian hack job. They spelled out "Firmware DROHNE." and next to that was "ATTENTION: Don't fly with this software!" So, I was motivated NOT to download anything from that website.

Next internet search showed some chap on Facebook from the UK (I think) who states "Update VIA PC on Windows 7 preferably Windows 10... (Then he has about 12 more stages of protocol to go though.)

(BTW, I'm a Mac guy and as I type this one my Dell, running Windows 7 which I previously had installed Windows Hate {I mean Windows 8} I'm getting less warm and fuzzy about even doing a firmware update on the bird or the ST-16. )

I'll have one last question about an odd looking gizmo I found in the box that probably attaches to the drone but I'm having difficulty finding in the manual what and where this small item is, and where it is supposed to go. I am beginning to think it fell out of a pocket of a proctologist who was taking a factory tour, and this odd device somehow landed into the box my Tyhpoon H was loaded into.

Last but not least, whoever recommended the EV Peak Dual Typhoon charger to me, "THANK YOU." So much better to have this new EV Peak than the mess I have for the batteries for my Q500s.
Firstly. I suspect that the 'odd looking gizmo' may be the patch antenna for the wi-fi. They pack that as an extra to be used instead of the mushroom antenna. The patch antenna is very directional but can improve the wi-fi link over and above the mushroom antenna so long as you keep the flat part pointed directly at the aircraft.

secondly
If your aircraft is new and you've never flown it before, you need not update the firmware to fly it. It should be good to go even if the firmware is dated. I recommend that you fly it for a few times to get to know it, then update the firmware once you are more familiar with it. Note that even if the firmware is over a year old, it will still fly fine, though with a couple of features missing that were included in later updates.

If you are downloading firmware from the official Yuneek website, then there is nothing wrong with it. As I recall the warning you mention was a hoax.

Reactions: Guest99
Firstly. I suspect that the 'odd looking gizmo' may be the patch antenna for the wi-fi. They pack that as an extra to be used instead of the mushroom antenna. The patch antenna is very directional but can improve the wi-fi link over and above the mushroom antenna so long as you keep the flat part pointed directly at the aircraft.

secondly
If your aircraft is new and you've never flown it before, you need not update the firmware to fly it. It should be good to go even if the firmware is dated. I recommend that you fly it for a few times to get to know it, then update the firmware once you are more familiar with it. Note that even if the firmware is over a year old, it will still fly fine, though with a couple of features missing that were included in later updates.

If you are downloading firmware from the official Yuneek website, then there is nothing wrong with it. As I recall the warning you mention was a hoax.

@FlushVision Thanks. (You are staying up late!) I appreciate your reply.

I'm spending time at a ranch we have in Texas where I only have an old Dell computer running Windows 7 and have to use a slow, portable wifi device in order to get on the internet (plenty of rattlesnakes here, just no real internet.)

I downloaded the new firmware just now and Windows 7 seems to not have the ability to open the file and so I am not (as we say here in Texas) "Back in the saddle again."

@FlushVision Thanks. (You are staying up late!) I appreciate your reply.

I'm spending time at a ranch we have in Texas where I only have an old Dell computer running Windows 7 and have to use a slow, portable wifi device in order to get on the internet (plenty of rattlesnakes here, just no real internet.)

I downloaded the new firmware just now and Windows 7 seems to not have the ability to open the file and so I am not (as we say here in Texas) "Back in the saddle again."
I live in England. Local time here is 20:25 as I write this.

A computer running windows 7 is good enough. That's what I have on my laptop. Once downloaded, why would you want to open the firmware on your computer?
Basic instructions:
ST16 first. Power it up and insert the sd card with only the firmware for the st16 on it...nothing else... into the slot. then do the update. Once the ST16 is updated then you can update the aircraft using the sd card with only the firmware for that on it...nothing else. Once that is done, then rebind and calibrate.
Watch this video for the full instructions. It's about an earlier version but is still relevant for the latest.

Reactions: Guest99
I live in England. Local time here is 20:25 as I write this.

A computer running windows 7 is good enough. That's what I have on my laptop. Once downloaded, why would you want to open the firmware on your computer?
Basic instructions:
ST16 first. Power it up and insert the sd card with only the firmware for the st16 on it...nothing else... into the slot. then do the update. Once the ST16 is updated then you can update the aircraft using the sd card with only the firmware for that on it...nothing else. Once that is done, then rebind and calibrate.
Watch this video for the full instructions. It's about an earlier version but is still relevant for the latest.
Second thank you for the day and for walking me thorough this. With your help, I managed to get these updates onto two different mini SD cards (16 GB) and I'll load them later this afternoon into the ST-16 and the Typhoon H.

When I win the Texas Lottery, I'm buying you (take your pick) a Tesla Model S, or a Mini Cooper. Then shipping it to the port of your choice in the UK. The Tesla will come with a full charge. The Mini Cooper will come with a full tank of petrol...

Second thank you for the day and for walking me thorough this. With your help, I managed to get these updates onto two different mini SD cards (16 GB) and I'll load them later this afternoon into the ST-16 and the Typhoon H.

When I win the Texas Lottery, I'm buying you (take your pick) a Tesla Model S, or a Mini Cooper. Then shipping it to the port of your choice in the UK. The Tesla will come with a full charge. The Mini Cooper will come with a full tank of petrol...
No problem. We are here to help.

remember what I said in my earlier post, though. IMHO there's no rush to update the firmware. It should fly fine on whatever version it has out of the box. If you do update it is VERY important that you follow the instructions on the video exactly. Take your time and don't miss any steps.

I'm off to bed now. Good night.

PS. The Tesla :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy