Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Flight Impressions of the Plus

Having a GH-4 equivalent on the 920 is why I stopped flying my H’s. There’s just no comparison with a CGO-3. If the C-23 is that good any comparisons with a CGO-3 would be a waste of time and effort. From what I’ve seen thus far, it seems to be quite good.

That talk about the GH-5 is just plain mean spirited[emoji6]. It’s one very good camera[emoji106]

Last edited:
The desired comparison is indeed folly, first of all you're getting more than twice the resolution between the two cameras and secondly the dynamic range of the C23 makes me never want to use my H cameras again except perhaps for the 48mm lens I have on one of them for safely capturing a detailed shot from further away because of content like a prairie fire for example...but quite honestly you could take a photo from almost twice the distance using the C23 and it would still look better than the camera on the H particularly if it still has the stock lens on it. Unless you fly drones strictly for hobby use and quality doesn't really matter above the grade of "happy snaps" rest assured the investment in the H+ is well worth the price of admission unless you're a bottom feeder who gives their work away to the lowest bidder and will not recoup initial cost due to your poor business practices before something better comes down the road.
That was rather insulting...
Even us hobby aerial photographers look for the best result we can get for our money. So far, I've been pretty impressed with my little old CGO3+ and I would like to see how it compares with the C23. From your beautiful Iceland clip, clearly, the C23 is impressive piece of kit. And, I really appreciated the RX100 photo comparison, Oliver, since I have one of those. Before spending the money for a new tool, we should know just how much better it is than the old tool. That requires a direct comparison.

Last edited:
When I said “mean spirited” it was used in humor. You were in no way offensive and I should have been more thoughtful in my word choice as I know English is not your first language.

Day Nine with the Plus

The more I fly this bird the more I really like it, and the confidence level in it; is growing. I have now flown at the legal ceiling and out to over 1000 feet. I also have flown in somewhat gusty conditions and close to trees, metals roofs, light poles and other structures in an effort to see if it has any bad manners and there is no sign thus far.

However, with that said, I have been also experimenting a little more in Sport Mode and I can defiantly see that it is this Mode that will bite unsuspecting flyers that perhaps want to 'let her rip' without the resulting skill and responsibility to do so properly;) - stick management is paramount. You have been warned.

The Rate Slider plays a far larger role with this aircraft (for me) than on my 480, this is probably due to the having the rate curves in place and a lack of the power in the 480 that the Plus has. I have found that a high speed run is a little like shifting gears if you want to leave smoothly and brake clean without a lot of jerking around, and in Sport mode this is far more critical than Angle Mode. I will start moving with the right stick and simultaneously feed the rate into a higher position as the stick is increased.

Angle mode is just a good all around blend for most low altitude flying or if you're close to your subject and as I may have mentioned a time or two - its so smooth not only when you yaw to make a turn but the throttle stick allows precise control over altitude. Imagine taking a run over the ground at about six inches for a hundred yards or so, the Plus can do it if you can.

On my first flight today the camera actually booted and stayed connected so that an anomaly there. Also, I must correct one statement from a previous report - that the motors can be stopped with only down throttle. That should read: The motors will go to idle and stop, with only the throttle stick; on the occasions that the Plus FEELS like doing so and these time will remain unbeknownst to you.:confused:

So, I have just gone back to landing with my thumb bridged across the top of the throttle stick to lower the aircraft and index finger on the kill switch to stop as soon as it lands. I have shot video of this and other stuff and I will eventually have that up.

Also, to answer a question from before regarding time to do a flight battery swap. I timed it from motors off till liftoff and it was 51 seconds. I will say that after turning off there is a cooling fan that continues to run in the body for about 8 seconds and I suspect you could just pull the battery as soon as the power down sound is heard.

Throttle Tech.jpg

HotSwap.jpg

@Ty Pilot when you get a chance... what is the IP address that shows for your camera?

Ty, the very first comment on this thread you mention update. I have never seen an update for the plus.
I am on build 652 of 20180507
Can you confirm this is the latest update you have please

Cheers

@Peggy Correct - same here. 1.0.08_20180507

At the time of my purchase there was only one other member here with a US H Plus and that was @Mickeyboo - he had problems at first, couldn't calibrate and some other things (I will let him explain his story) but when he checked for updates, he found a huge download of slightly more than 400 MBs. After he downloaded, everything started working properly. When I got mine I decided to follow his experience and also found the huge download and installed it. In retrospect I am almost certain it is the same firmware I saw before the update but in any case I went through the process as a precaution.

@Peggy Correct - same here. 1.0.08_20180507

At the time of my purchase there was only one other member here with a US H Plus and that was @Mickeyboo - he had problems at first, couldn't calibrate and some other things (I will let him explain his story) but when he checked for updates, he found a huge download of slightly more than 400 MBs. After he downloaded, everything started working properly. When I got mine I decided to follow his experience and also found the huge download and installed it. In retrospect I am almost certain it is the same firmware I saw before the update but in any case I went through the process as a precaution.
I’ve never been able to “redownload” the same firmware on the H+. Which I’ve remarked about a couple of times. If firmware is or gets corrupted you have no way that I can see to reinstall. So hearing you say that you think you were able to do that or unwittingly did that is interesting.

I’ve never been able to “redownload” the same firmware on the H+. Which I’ve remarked about a couple of times. If firmware is or gets corrupted you have no way that I can see to reinstall. So hearing you say that you think you were able to do that or unwittingly did that is interesting.
When I purchased my H+, I too did the obligatory firmware update. While I was able to download the 400 MB of files, once the system determined that the installed firmware was the same version as the downloaded firmware, the system said something to the effect of 'no update necessary' and there were no options available to force a reinstall.

When I purchased my H+, I too did the obligatory firmware update. While I was able to download the 400 MB of files, once the system determined that the installed firmware was the same version as the downloaded firmware, the system said something to the effect of 'no update necessary' and there were no options available to force a reinstall.
I sure hope there is a way to reinstall, perhaps it's another one of those hidden things which is left out of the manual. Given my experience with Yuneec H and how easily firmware / software could be corrupted I often reloaded. If I had not been able to do that none of the 4 I own would now be flying as many of the issues of poor response or flying abnormalities were taken care of with firmware / software reloading.

That was rather insulting...
Even us hobby aerial photographers look for the best result we can get for our money. So far, I've been pretty impressed with my little old CGO3+ and I would like to see how it compares with the C23. From your beautiful Iceland clip, clearly, the C23 is impressive piece of kit. And, I really appreciated the RX100 photo comparison, Oliver, since I have one of those. Before spending the money for a new tool, we should know just how much better it is than the old tool. That requires a direct comparison.
There was no intention to insult anyone including you. However in many ways your response proves my point. If you were being paid to do commercial work the Typhoon H could be paid for in two or three jobs. "Looking for best results for your money" is what guides your purchasing decision it appears. Of course you should know how much better it is than the old tool. However the differences are quite obvious from samples that have been posted as well the fact that known differences are sensor size, file size generated as well as improved dynamic range. The comparison of the two cameras is similar to someone asking for a gen 6 iPhone and a Sony or Canon DSLR comparison. Or since you mentioned it the RX 100 quality versus CGO3 would you like a sensor the size of your small fingernail or one which is 1 inch in size? This is really a basic common sense issue not something which requires a side by side. Attached is a photo I shot a couple weeks ago. I will be using it for an art museum exhibition on "Iceland's Vanishing Beauty" the file has been sent for 30 x 20 output I would not get any where near the results with the CGO3 which I got with C23 both in capture and output.smJokulsarlon Sunrise Yun_0003_4-.jpg

Unwittingly is the key word here;) I am not a very techy guy when it comes to all this update stuff, my 480 has never been updated and is a year and a half old. The only reason I did the download was I thought you said you couldn't do calibrations and then after the download all was well. After reading that I was not going to break the mold but followed suit, so - I did download that 400 + MB file, but it never prompted me to do anything, so maybe it did not install? Anyway, bird is flying I am happy and unless Yuneec puts out an update that cures cancer or causes the Plus to brew coffee - I ain't touching it:cool: seriously it will have to be a big improvement before I go messing with it now.

On another note about the camera comparison thing - the question if the CG03+ is anywhere near the quality of the C23 has been settled, you're right and I have seen it first hand with my Plus, that train left the station and I think everyone here got on board. Anyone that produces images for money would be crazy not to spend the extra 1000 or so and get the Plus. However I can see how some guys, maybe hobbyists that want to video their family outings or what have you would want to see if the difference (to them for their purposes) is worth the thousand bucks. I think there will be a lot of folks who will not pony up simply because they don't earn from there photos or videos. It was for that reason that I mentioned I might do a comparison down the road. The truth is the first time I turned on the camera and saw the image through the crappy 720 screen on the ST-16s you could see the difference.

P.S. we were promised and un-boxing video I believe?:p

P.P.S.S. That is one bad-a$$ picture, congrats

Anyone that produces images for money would be crazy not to spend the extra 1000 or so and get the Plus. However I can see how some guys, maybe hobbyists that want to video their family outings or what have you would want to see if the difference (to them for their purposes) is worth the thousand bucks. I think there will be a lot of folks who will not pony up simply because they don't earn from there photos or videos. It was for that reason that I mentioned I might do a comparison down the road.
You're absolutely right about that. Soon after I retired from my mechanical engineering career, I wanted to do consulting work for my former employers. So, I got my business license and set up shop at home. I needed the expensive CAD software to do the work for them. At the hourly rate I could charge, the software paid for itself quickly and earned me a tidy income to supplement my Social Security. Recording video was always a part of my engineering career and I was tempted several times to drop the design work and become a professional videographer but decided to keep it a hobby. So, for me, it is more difficult to justify spending another $1800 on a better camera and aerial platform. Will it make me a better videographer? Or, will it take my "work" to the next level?
Everything I've seen so far from the C23 has blown me away! Look at that Iceland photo from Mickeyboo! Is the Plus for professionals only? Maybe not.

Reactions: rdonson
The one thing it will do for both of us @Rubik, is make all of the time, energy and effort we personally put into trying to make a longer lens "work" with the H, pretty much moot.

Reactions: rdonson and Rubik

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430