Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Flight Impressions of the Plus

Florida is great place to visit. We have gators in the fresh water and sharks in the sea water. Water sports anyone? Lol

When RDonson buys one I know it will be time to get one for myself!

:) I’ve got 2 H 480 birds and I think I learned a LOT from this forum on its behavior, strengths and shortcomings.

So far I’m really enthused by what is reported on the H Plus. I also am realistic that there should be a couple of firmware updates to get it up to snuff before I hurt my credit card. ;)

Ty Pilot,

As much of a pain as they are there’s a couple nice things about gators. They are quite tasty and make beautiful boots.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
August 10th, 2018

Went out and flew this evening with the new update and was able to check task modes and now they all work. I did a CCC Mission as well as a little Follow Me and Watch ME flying. Don't know if the Update fixed the problem directly or indirectly (my guess) due to the controller locking on to twice as many satellites now than before (See below) but; I was able to perform those tasks. Will certainly get a little deeper into them later on.

I now have almost 40 flights total, 14 flights with the new (2018_0801) update or; just a little over 4 hours of flight time with the new update and its not given so much as a hiccup in the air. However, this evening I went across the street to fly at the school which is a half a mile away. I booted up and sat and watched the satellites being acquired, aircraft was engines off, 15 feet away. I happened to look at my distance figure it was about 4000 feet but dropping about 10 feet a second - I figured this was due to the different location. As the number came to within 50 feet and the little aircraft icon was settling near center - the numbers began to rise sharply - alarmingly, to around 12,000 feet! The little aircraft icon on the grey and green radar scope flew out of the little circle! Mind you the actual aircraft is on the ground next to me - I quickly reached for my phone to record this but then the distance number began to fall almost as rapidly as it climbed and I only recorded it coming down from a little over 2000 feet.

So after sitting for another five minutes the figures were aligned and I did two successful flights and all systems were go, everything seems to be working fine

BigSats.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Peggy and Barton
August 11th, 2018

Got another handful of flights in this evening with the Plus over at the school, and for a while I had it all to myself but just as I got ready for a second flight, a woman who I saw yesterday was coming to walk around the track. When she approached yesterday, I politely asked if she minded if I flew on the other side and she had no issues and I proceeded to fly two batteries through. This evening; like clock work, she showed again and this time was inquisitive and asked if she could ask a few questions. I agreed and found that she was very interested in the manner in which the aircraft was operating. Personally I am finding the reduced noise and possibly the smoother flying is seen (and heard) as less obtrusive by the average non flying public.

Tonight I had planned to work exclusively with the camera; and in particular photos, but also some video examples since there was a really interesting sky for a bit but a couple of massive building storms to the west eventually took away my good light so I turned towards more flying stuff. One thing I am noting is that; in Angle mode High rate the Plus seems to be in its most efficient state in terms of power usage and this is evident in the sound signature. I was doing a few runs at around 25 feet AGL along a 200 foot path (Angle - High Rate) and at the point it was nearest me just doing a simple climb out at a speed that matched the forward velocity and yields a 45 degree climb. I have found that in this condition the sound of the Plus is almost non-existent except for a slight hint of the motors at speed. The prop noise is only heard when the climb is stopped, while the forward motion is maintained - there is a slight verrrap of the props at that point and then - silence.

I also decided to do some more CCC work but this evening the satellite count on the controller was dancing between 10 and 14 and so was only able to do one CCC and a few 'follow me' missions. To that; I am seeing that once you enter the task modes; the aircraft lighting indicates "Smart" mode (Green Lights) but does so automatically - I have not yet; with the new update, tried turning on Smart Mode. But I am getting the sense that the Tasks all MUST be done with the Controller "In the Green" so to speak with a minimum of 11 satellites locked. And speaking of this; as we know, the Plus gathers satellites quicker than a duck on a June bug but - the controller can take 5 minutes to even see six or seven satellites (this could be just my location here in Florida - I dunno). But I typically wait for six on the controller and then launch.

Finally I did a few dedicated photos this evening in terms of working with the camera and as mentioned before; the JPG's are . . . .well I don't know how else to describe them other than, they are useless at this point WHEN you compare them with the DNG's. I suppose if you need to take a picture of something on the fly and it doesn't need to be top notch - it'll do but; if you want the best image the DNG is the only way to go.

ScoolPlus.png

Reactions: rdonson and YuKay
@Ty Pilot Thank you.

I picked up the H Plus this week due to your video showing how much better the H Plus flies over the 480 and improvements to the video quality. I have been largely frustrated with the 480 regarding the off-center-stick flying as I fly mostly slow speed and close to subjects; additionally and critically, when I fly I don't enjoy editing the video as it just does not have the sharpness and detail across the frame. I have not flown much since January due to this and an aggressive start-up I am in (excuses of course).

This has changed with the H Plus. I can't thank you enough.

Flight control is very close to the 3DR Solo; those that have those will understand. Slow speed is superb though there is still some aggressive braking but 10% of what the 480 H has.

Limited testing on the video quality, but the initial flight into my palm trees and around the yard show excellent sharpness through the frame and detail; this includes taking off inside our gazebo which I could never do with the 480 H. Initial response is focus may be too close at 3' to infinity which does have drop off at 15' but is consistent at that point. Perhaps focus from 5' to infinity might be prime; not many people fly 3' to the subject.

I L O V E it. Will try to update with actual footage this week and a break down.

You hit it on the head with 'refined'. From packaging to UI to flight, this is a refined product.

Nice image, Ty Pilot and an interesting building with a touch of Pixar perfection about it.

I wish the member who works next door to Apple could somehow get some footage of their new HQ. You can keep the Tower of London, Taj Mahal and Saint Basil's Cathedral…I want the donut - and I think forum members can improve on this.

Reactions: DCH and Ty Pilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace