Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Flight Of Season

Reaction score
Today I had my first flight of the season, actually it is only the 3rd time I have flown the Typhoon since I go it around Thanksgiving. For a while over winter I actually forgot I had the thing. (it was a long winter in New England). At start up I got GPS lock and then it would come in and out a few times finally stabilizing. I flew rather aggressively for the first time. The dead zone around center stick became very apparent and I remember that there is a way to smooth this out by changing the settings. I had done this to my simulator model memory and it did help, but I am reluctant to change the real thing. I have a technique of reducing the jumpiness: do not feather around center, get in and get out, works good that way. I did not use the camera, I just want to get comfortable with flying for now. I had tested the camera around Christmas and it seems to work well. I can see how people can get into trouble with Smart Mode, you have to stay 30 ft away or you can get into trouble as it tries to get away from you. Another pitfall I can see happening is hitting RTH when you do not have a clear path to where home is. I flew it until I got low battery alert, the rear LED flashes red and I then landed. The battery was pretty warm, 105 degrees. So far so good.

Reactions: JohnnyDrone
Sounds like you are doing things the right way. Practicing w/o the camera is perfect. Don't fly to the battery warning. Watch the battery level and plan to be ready to land at 14.7 v. Your batteries will last longer. If you need to move slowly without the lurch, use the cruise control.

Reactions: rdonson
I think there is still enough safe level in the battery. 14.7V still leaves 3.675V left in each cell, 3V and under is when it gets critical. Funny you mention battery life. I always storage charge all my LiPos, I have some that are 8 years old and still going strong with no puffing whatsoever.
Interesting occurrence today, one of the 4 Typhoon batteries I have was left fully charged for 4 months. It is slightly puffed. Still charges and discharges with slightly less capacity. That was an expensive experiment. Not going to fly with that one. Can you explain Cruise Control?

3V and under is when it gets critical.
It's not just about the battery, it's also about the amperage the battery can deliver and the power (voltage and amps) the H needs to operate correctly. As the voltage drops below 14.5, strange behaviors can occur.

I think there is still enough safe level in the battery. 14.7V still leaves 3.675V left in each cell, 3V and under is when it gets critical. Funny you mention battery life. I always storage charge all my LiPos, I have some that are 8 years old and still going strong with no puffing whatsoever.
Interesting occurrence today, one of the 4 Typhoon batteries I have was left fully charged for 4 months. It is slightly puffed. Still charges and discharges with slightly less capacity. That was an expensive experiment. Not going to fly with that one. Can you explain Cruise Control?

Funny you mention your habit of always taking the best care of your Lipo's. But, interesting indeed, not the one for the H.

Also funny you think you know better about potentially critical situations then an esteemed member of this forum with unmeasurable technical know-how about our H.

I bow deeply for Steve's patience.

:confused:

Funny indeed, I have many LiPos that are all still in perfect operating condition after many years. Being an Electrician with a degree in Electronics and having an ample amount of respect for such things seems to have paid off as I have never had to file an insurance claim and I still have all my RC aircraft in one piece having never crashed. Thanks for your concern.

This is the first time I had a Lipo left fully charged for 4 months, usually if it ever happens if is for a day or two before I realize it. I am discharging it and recycling it, as I do not want to take any chances with a compromised Lipo.

Attachments

• 20180501_183315_resized.jpg
    20180501_183315_resized.jpg
    997.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20180501_183325_resized.jpg
    20180501_183325_resized.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
I am going to my local field today for some serious flying. It will be nice to be in a 50 acre field.

Attachments

• 20180502_060647_resized.jpg
    20180502_060647_resized.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • 20180502_060655_resized.jpg
    20180502_060655_resized.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • 20180502_060702_resized.jpg
    20180502_060702_resized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Had 3 good flights after AAA pulled my stuck van out of a muddy trail. Beautiful day here after a cold start to spring, 84 degrees already. I didn't realize I didn't have the SD card in the camera, so no pictures or footage. One thing has me concerned though, the landing gear would not go up at first. It took many attempts and they finally went up. Is this common? Do they stick from no use? It seemed when it was trying to go up I would see an orange flash. Isn't that compass alert? All in all it was a great morning, this contraption can really move and handles great, even in high winds.

Last edited:
The landing gear tends to stick from sitting and handling. A few tries usually gets it working.
A compass error below 20' is common as well as when raising or lowering the gear.

Today I had my first flight of the season, actually it is only the 3rd time I have flown the Typhoon since I go it around Thanksgiving. For a while over winter I actually forgot I had the thing. (it was a long winter in New England). At start up I got GPS lock and then it would come in and out a few times finally stabilizing. I flew rather aggressively for the first time. The dead zone around center stick became very apparent and I remember that there is a way to smooth this out by changing the settings. I had done this to my simulator model memory and it did help, but I am reluctant to change the real thing. I have a technique of reducing the jumpiness: do not feather around center, get in and get out, works good that way. I did not use the camera, I just want to get comfortable with flying for now. I had tested the camera around Christmas and it seems to work well. I can see how people can get into trouble with Smart Mode, you have to stay 30 ft away or you can get into trouble as it tries to get away from you. Another pitfall I can see happening is hitting RTH when you do not have a clear path to where home is. I flew it until I got low battery alert, the rear LED flashes red and I then landed. The battery was pretty warm, 105 degrees. So far so good.
Thanks for the updates
Keep up the great work
Merry Christmas and a blessed safe healthy New Year 2021

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval