Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flight timer for ST16

It's simple maths and there is no excuse for not adding a percentage and flight time remaining, there is no point arguing that point. But that would be my second priority for Yuneec after fixing the camera.

Back in the DJI Phantom 1 and 2 days I used to just set a countdown timer on my watch or phone to say 14 minutes and once that went off I bought it in close. I tend to do the same nowadays with the Typhoon H and land when the controller starts to vibrate.

Reactions: DroneClone
I start recording as soon as I fly. I use the recording timer as my flight timer. I use a 128GB microsd and have no worries about it filling up.I can discard the videos later if I want. But yes, the ST16 needs a timer. I feel more comfortable using a timer than the battery gauge.I usually have the drone flying near me after 15 minutes and take no chances having the drone flying far away near that time frame. I have 3 batteries and therefore I don't have the need to suck all the power from each.

DC

I'm not at all upset, perplexed perhaps but not upset. I just can't understand why people seem to want to turn their H into Phantoms. If they wanted what the Phantom has or does they should have bought one. Many that purchased ah H did so because it is less complex, requires fewer peripherals to function than systems like the Phantom. Understand the moment you go with a smart battery you are locked into whatever the manufacturer provides in both price and quality going forward. You have no options as you do now in either battery quality or the manner in which it can be serviced.

Agreed, we can all have fancier things but the questions for me come down to; is there any real benefit to additional expense and complexity? Is flight safety significantly improved? Does one method provide any more or less information than the other? Realistically, seeing voltage is the most accurate means of establishing battery state, especially for those that have some education with the battery type. New flyers would certainly take to the bling provided by a percentage indicator but would one actually provide any more information than the bar indicator with displayed voltage we have now? As one that is employed in the unmanned aircraft industry I well understand that increasing system and component complexity often brings with it an increase in cost and problem points.

As for the timer question, it would be nice if a future firmware upgrade incorporated a flight timer, if for nothing more than logging actual flight time.

Reactions: anthony h-ellary
Pat, I respect your wisdom and choices of flight visual options, and I do have DJI platforms and I feel that I should not have to buy one to have the options I prefer installed on my H, especially when all it incorporates is a simple addition in a future firmware update!
Much as you also have the choice to desire and ask Yuneec to install a timer!
I never said one is better, or that anyone was wrong in asking for one, I just stated my preference of my "personal" liking of a percentage vs timer display, that's all my friend! Good to hear from you as always Pat!

Pat, I respect your wisdom and choices of flight visual options, and I do have DJI platforms and I feel that I should not have to buy one to have the options I prefer installed on my H, especially when all it incorporates is a simple addition in a future firmware update!
I never said one is better, or that anyone was wrong in asking for one, I just stated my preference of my "personal" liking of a percentage vs timer display, that's all my friend! Good to hear from you as always Pat!
I never wish or desire my H to be a DJI platform, I just like their smart battery and flight time in percentages vs a timer

And from you:)

I never wish or desire my H to be a DJI platform, I just like their smart battery and flight time in percentages vs a timer
I'm with you. The smart battery is something I really wish Yuneec would have developed as well. Give users a choice... those who want a smart battery, pay more, and those who can't be bothered, well they pay less. Right now we have but one choice.

This battery discussion is interesting, but I think the H has more pressing problems. May be better to have a "smart" charger.

The ST16's Clock app in Pad mode has a built-in timer. At present, Yuneec does not allow the FlightMode app to run in the background. If one goes to Pad mode the H does a RTH.

Here are my thoughts...

Should Yuneec allow the FlightMode app to run in the background? If the FlightMode app is bumped out of memory, or closed, this initiates the RTH. I think this should work better than their current implementation.

How much RAM is in there?
Possibly the RAM on the ST16 is their limitation.

Has anyone tried setting up a timer in Pad mode before switching to FlightMode?
How does that work?

@PatR I love how you wish for the 'golden' age of consumer UAV even though the technology is only a few years old and we should be pushing for advancements. No one wishes for simpler, and less complex, they just wish for simpler.

I'm all for advancements, especially those that increase functionality without increasing complexity and cost. Things do not have to be complicated, difficult or expensive to serve a good purpose. KISS is a very effective tool in establishing how well something can work, and its reliability. Something that functions well does not require constant improvement. An example was a friend of mine that provided an internet service to a geographical area. His customers frequently complained of having to perform constant updates without experiencing observed benefit. His software team insisted the upgrades were necessary and would not reduce the frequency of upgrades. He fired the software team and did not need another for over a year. His customers were happy, and his service flourished.

It's simple maths and there is no excuse for not adding a percentage and flight time remaining, there is no point arguing that point. But that would be my second priority for Yuneec after fixing the camera.

Back in the DJI Phantom 1 and 2 days I used to just set a countdown timer on my watch or phone to say 14 minutes and once that went off I bought it in close. I tend to do the same nowadays with the Typhoon H and land when the controller starts to vibrate.
This has worked excellently for me. And yes, I agree it would be the ultimate to have timer functions built into the ST16 display, but let's all get real... not happening anytime soon.

This timer by Polder (from Amazon) has a magnet on each end so I attach two steel washers of similar size with double sided tape. Works great...clock / stopwatch / timer function with beeper alarm.

Meanwhile, just as any pilot is taught, training your eyes to constantly scan between primary instruments and the sky in front of him, so do I keep regular watch on voltage and remaining flight time. I simply set the timer to 17 minutes coordinate between the two. Most usually, I get 17 minutes well before the ST16 first alert.

Attachments

• IMG_20160817_120522.jpeg
    IMG_20160817_120522.jpeg
    754.3 KB · Views: 6
@PatR he should have kept the software team. Updates are essential for security, reliability and performance and if you don't keep on top of them you have a bigger gap to bridge. IT 101 I'm afraid. But its not related to this topic.

As stated by others, while a timer can be nice. It will NOT compensate for the conditions and your method of flying.
Turn your GPS off and fly in rabbit mode full trottle, see how long your battery last then.
Be safe, and keep a close eye on the battery meter. I do agree would rather see a bigger one across the entire to of the screen with voltage and percentage.
No two flights will ever be the same, nor will your flight times.
Worse I have gotten was just shy of 9 minutes, best was 19.2 minutes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adanidharavi