Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flight with GPS turned OFF

Totalement d'accord avec le Dr Delta ......
Il est logique que le drone dérive au vent, c'est le principe de tous les éléments en suspension dans l'air s'il n'est plus stabilisé par le GPS ... à mon avis il est indispensable avant un vol d'analyser les conditions météo mais aussi s'entraîner à maîtriser son avion en vol manuel .... des séances de formation sont essentielles. Il existe de bonnes alternatives à la prise en main de son appareil, notamment avec des simulateurs où il est possible de régler les conditions de vent.
usr_cfad_img1.jpg

Drone Simulator - AeroSIM-RC

Been wanting to see how the H flew with the GPS off. Tried it yesterday in an open field. Had maybe 10 knots of wind. I wanted to try this so I would have an idea of how she flew, GPS off, if the GPS failed. Noticed that the H became very sensitive to the wind. Would allow the wind to steer it. Also it seemed very darty. Everything it did was quick. Suddenly it would be coming toward me and I had to quickly back it up. Started to slide left or right. Quickly had to apply stick to bring it back the other way to stop that. Alll in all it was ok. I learned that you have to be quick, especially with some wind, to keep it in control, and not over control. It is true manual control as the warning box says. I also feel that if it decided to take off on me I could turn the GPS OFF to try to save it provided it was high enough to not hit anything and I had the time. I left the Gps off/on window open so all I had to do was reach up and select ON. No worries. Did not try to land with GPS off. Want to get some more time in the air first with it off. All in all very doable.
Sounds like my old drones that did not have GPS at all, that I learned on.......really do like the GPS on my Q500 4K...so much more relaxing to fly and take videos with........

...Find large field on a non windy day. and keep the A/C low 20-60 feet AGL. Your first couple of flights should BNF(no camera)
Try to keep the A/C over a target area(point camera at full nadir and try to gently compensate for the wind by correcting the A/C movement
Learn how every action on the sticks requires a equal reaction (yaw left needs some yaw right to cancel the movement) these are very shuttle movements. The more you move these sticks the harder the A/C will be to control.(these A/C are very fast in manual mode and you can easily wind up with a “bucking bronco” if you overwork the sticks.
And finally always be prepared to switch into GPS mode. There is always somethings we can not control (gust of wind, incoming wildlife, etc.) be prepared to cancel your manual training if anything does not appear safe. A gust of wind can easily move your A/C 30-50 feet very quickly if you can’t over compensate fast enough. Be prepared to flip the switch...

Brief anecdote:

When I wanted to start practicing non-gps flight I didn't really like the idea of using the Typhoon H, at the risk of getting disoriented and send it on a one-way trip on the opposite direction with it's non-gps-restricted speed. Also I wanted to learn to fly while watching at the aircraft, and not at the camera feed.

So I decided to look for an alternative, inexpensive, similarly shaped non-gps unit to practice. And I soon found the MJX X600.

At first I was scared to rise the toy-grade UAVs over a few meters high, fearing that a sudden gust of wind would send it into a neighboring house or street. But after a few months of practice (both indoors and outdoors) I began to see some improvements.

I began to get more confident, until I felt confident enough to send the small hexa far away until I wouln't be able to tell which way it was facing just by looking at it; I began to get the "feel" of which way the aircraft was facing by looking at the trajectory with my input; no need for lights, stickers or other visual cues other than the black speck on the sky.

Obviously the process wasn't without problems every now and then. More than just a few times I had to kill the motors sending the aircraft plummeting to the ground just to keep it from flying away out of control while I had no idea on how to bring it back to me. But this was exactly why I purchased them, if I were using the H, just one flyaway it's game over.

A few months later I began flying the H without GPS as well, and in my personal experience all the skill/muscle memory developed from flying those toy-grade hexacopters translated very well into the H,

I would definitely recommend the MJX hexacopters to anyone interested in practicing non-gps flight with an alternative to the much more expensive Typhoon H,

P.S. If you wan't to get a more "accurate" feel from the H with these hexacopters there's a variant of the X600 that has barometric altitude hold, so you will get that spring centered throttle stick just like we do on the H. (however this variant is a lot slower and much less fun, I would recommend the one without barometer)

Greetings!

Reactions: rdonson
Great flying, Jules. I'm thinking that I'd need a very large field and I might still end up with a box of parts. ;)

Re-read this thread looking for specific mention of one important “heads up” for the uninitiated as to what non-GPS flight will entail, with anything of more mass than a hold in the hand model. Having not found said mention, I leave the following:

One important law of physics to keep in mind: inertia!

While turning off GPS removes the speed “governer” allowing faster flights, disabling GPS also removes the brakes! One must be prepared to give opposite control commands in order to slow and stop momentum.

In my own experiences, not being prepared, or rather my proficiency level was not up to specs, that got me in troubled (aka flights terminated by unplanned sequences.)

Fortunately, these learnings were compliments of the $35-$45 versions, rather than experimenting with much more expensive tools.

Jeff

Last edited:
New to the Typhoon H and will be practising this soon for my flying test as part of my licence. Had an experience of forgetting to calibrate the GPS after a island hop and long road trip and learning to fly with limited GPS help. Not sure I'm looking forward to the next experience but I need to put my big boys pants on and get on with it.
Thank you for the replies on this topic to guide me.

Reactions: Steve Carr
An important note about GPS......as I recall, if you turn off the GPS on the ground you cannot turn it on in the air. If you turn it off in the air you can turn it back on. At least that was how it worked on older firmware. I have not tried it on the latest firmware but it's worth knowing.
I hope your test is on a day with light wind. Point the nose into the wind before turning off the GPS. If you are practicing, remove the camera. No need to put the camera at risk. The H is an easy fix. The camera is not.
And.....good luck.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
If you turn it off in the air you can turn it back on. At least that was how it worked on older firmware. I have not tried it on the latest firmware but it's worth knowing.
I hope your test is on a day with light wind. Point the nose into the wind before turning off the GPS. If you are practicing, remove the camera. No need to put the camera at risk. The H is an easy fix. The camera is not.
And.....good luck.
Thank you ... I was wondering about turning the GPS off in air and it turning back on.
I was practising hand catching yesterday - do you recall if it's easy to do without GPS? I'm sure I"ll find out soon enough and I'll report back.
Yes the camera is off at the moment as I test actions other than Angle mode. Only managed yesterday to get follow me/watch me mode after realising it had to be in safe mode. Now to test as many of the other modes.
Still trying to get my head around the two left hand switches to do with the camera.
Cheers,

do you recall if it's easy to do without GPS
It is more difficult and if there is any breeze at ground level it may be dangerous to hand catch.
Still trying to get my head around the two left hand switches to do with the camera.
Check out this video for the camera controls. It shows an H Plus but the controls should be the same.

Reactions: AussieCate
It is more difficult and if there is any breeze at ground level it may be dangerous to hand catch.
First flight test done without GPS - took off then when over the oval turned GPS off - no breeze so it was 'easy' to control albeit very fast as others on YT say. Was able to turn GPS on again and land in GPS mode. I noticed (something) was disabled but will trial again this afternoon and take more notice of what the control unit is saying. Also managed to hand catch because of the low breeze. Won't be doing that in a high wind - or often!

Check out this video for the camera controls. It shows an H Plus but the controls should be the same.
Thanks - will do that now.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Note the camera had been removed for the acro flight. Smart move by the operator. Just a head’s up, but camera rigs are not the best choices for aerobatics. Hard on cameras and expensive to replace when crashed.

When GPS is turned off, things like CCC, Journey, and Follow modes will be disabled.

Reactions: AussieCate

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trepox