Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Fluid on ST after storage

Reaction score
Weather's been nuts, then out of town for two weeks, pulling out the drone for tomorrow from the backpack, and noticed there is fluid of some sort on the top of it near the antennae, it seems a little oily. No, I don't have anything else in the pack and have no idea where it came from, it's not much but enough that it's noticeable. Any ideas? I've checked no cracks or anything, have less an hour on this.

Weather's been nuts, then out of town for two weeks, pulling out the drone for tomorrow from the backpack, and noticed there is fluid of some sort on the top of it near the antennae, it seems a little oily. No, I don't have anything else in the pack and have no idea where it came from, it's not much but enough that it's noticeable. Any ideas? I've checked no cracks or anything, have less an hour on this.
I am unaware of any type of fluid in the H or the ST16 except perhaps the batteries. Is it possible there is something on the foam in the backpack?

I checked and checked, rubbed my hands all over it and also checked the H, no fluids there. The ST is at my side now (like it would be in the pack, stored upright, and some more fluid did ooze out, it's near the usb port kinda in the middle between the mushroom ant and the vert ant. When I plug in the st to charge, there is a sound - like a fan - so is there one in there that the fluid is coming from? I store batteries in a lipo pack separately, not in the back pack, BTW.

I checked and checked, rubbed my hands all over it and also checked the H, no fluids there. The ST is at my side now (like it would be in the pack, stored upright, and some more fluid did ooze out, it's near the usb port kinda in the middle between the mushroom ant and the vert ant. When I plug in the st to charge, there is a sound - like a fan - so is there one in there that the fluid is coming from? I store batteries in a lipo pack separately, not in the back pack, BTW.
Ok we're talking about the ST16. There are two fans. One intake and one exhaust on the back side. There is no fluid inside the ST16. Did you open the battery compartment and inspect the battery?

Ok we're talking about the ST16. There are two fans. One intake and one exhaust on the back side. There is no fluid inside the ST16. Did you open the battery compartment and inspect the battery?
Just did, all seems fine there, a tiny bit more has oozed in the last 10 minutes or so. And yes the ST 16 for the H.

Just did, all seems fine there, a tiny bit more has oozed in the last 10 minutes or so. And yes the ST 16 for the H.
I'm at a loss to understand what could possibly leak on either the bird or the controller. The ST16 is fairly easy to open the case and look inside. You're certain nothing was spilled on it?

Last edited:
I'm at a loss to understand what could possible leak on either the bird or the controller. The ST16 is fairly easy to open the case and look inside. You're certain nothing was spilled on it?
Nope, I haven't flown in about three weeks, like I said, windy and was gone for two weeks. Stored in pack entire time. In the last two hours since posting, a bit more did ooze out. Not much, just a tiny amount. I'll call Yuneec in the a.m., try to get thru to somebody.

Here is a good video on the ST16 to open it up to look. If you have to send it in to Yuneec you can count on 6-8 weeks turnaround time.

Here is a good video on the ST16 to open it up to look. If you have to send it in to Yuneec you can count on 6-8 weeks turnaround time.

Thanks, I'll look at this in the morning, not sure I have that small of an allen wrench - while I'm on hold. It's still under warranty - got it in May - so perhaps they'll send a new one and I'll send old one back. Of course, I'll have to bind, etc. drats. Have a job tomorrow, so I'll use my Q instead.

But you're right, looking at that vid and the guts, I don't see where the fluid could be coming from either!

Thanks, I'll look at this in the morning, not sure I have that small of an allen wrench - while I'm on hold. It's still under warranty - got it in May - so perhaps they'll send a new one and I'll send old one back. Of course, I'll have to bind, etc. drats. Have a job tomorrow, so I'll use my Q instead.
Yeah, I understand it's under warranty. But it's been a real pain to get through on the phone and then the long turnaround times. If they will cross ship a controller that would be great.
In the long term it is good to know how to open up both the H and the ST. I picked up some long shaft hex drivers 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 mm which makes the job much faster.

Thanks, I'll call Yuneec in the a.m., then go get those hexes. I have taken all of the foam out of the pack, nothing, then I re-packed the H in the backpack and put some paper towels in where the ST 16 would be, then uprighted it. I'll see what I get in the morning, if anything. Downright puzzling. Thanks for your help tonight!

It's unlikely that there is something in the ST16 that could cause an oily leak as nothing inside of it has any type of fluid in it. Most likely is that there was something that had dripped into it previously that you didn't see when it happened. I do know that sometime components that are shipped form overseas have a light lubricant on them to prevent corrosion. It may be that there was some on the antennae connector that when it warmed, it ran into the seam between the two halves and remained un-noticed until it was liquid enough to be noticed. Also, if you are a vape person, the e-juice is like a ninja and can show up anywhere.

The H is shipped with an abundance of silica gel packs for moisture absorption.

Steve, you would have to be a smoker to understand;)

Reactions: Murray Martz
I'm guessing that it's been stored in a cool/cold place and when it was moved to a warmer location, condensation formed inside. Kinda like your glasses will do when you leave an AC building and go outside. The oily feel probably comes from the silicone lubricants used on the controls inside. I'd put it in a dry place for a day or two and see if it dries up.

Are there any capacitors, they have an oily substance, but this usually happens when they go bad and you can smell it. Also some other components may have substance and now leaking. Maybe a bug got caught up and died and left its what ever in there.
My guess fan motor?

It's unlikely that there is something in the ST16 that could cause an oily leak as nothing inside of it has any type of fluid in it. Most likely is that there was something that had dripped into it previously that you didn't see when it happened. I do know that sometime components that are shipped form overseas have a light lubricant on them to prevent corrosion. It may be that there was some on the antennae connector that when it warmed, it ran into the seam between the two halves and remained un-noticed until it was liquid enough to be noticed. Also, if you are a vape person, the e-juice is like a ninja and can show up anywhere.
I wonder if you're right, it was a very small amount, and I've had it on its side all night, and there isn't any more. Still, I'll get the Allen wrenches I need to open it up just in case. I have checked, triple checked the H and the pack, padding, etc., and nothing. Thanks so much.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold