Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying below start altitude?

Reaction score
What problems should I expect if trying to fly lower than the start altitude and if there are problems what is the remedy? Moving the ST16 to a lower location is not an option.

I fly below my start point fairly often. Not been an issue with the H+. No reason it will be an issue with the H.

I'll edit to add that I am not using automated modes and have not triggered a RTL or low battery return while doing so.

Last edited:
As far as flying, there are few issues... however if using with one of the automated modes, it does not terrain follow... also since it does require more power to ascend back to your LZ, keep an even closer eye on battery levels.

Reactions: Phaedrus
This topic appears quite often, but I can’t get it to show up in a search. All of Yuneec’s products handle this in the same way and flying below takeoff height is not a problem. Your telemetry readout will show a negative altitude readout. If RTH is initiated it will rise to the height above takeoff that you have set in the ST-16.

As EEV stated earlier in the thread, leave extra battery for the return flight as the TH will have to climb.

Reactions: Phaedrus
This topic appears quite often, but I can’t get it to show up in a search. All of Yuneec’s products handle this in the same way and flying below takeoff height is not a problem. Your telemetry readout will show a negative altitude readout. If RTH is initiated it will rise to the height above takeoff that you have set in the ST-16.

As EEV stated earlier in the thread, leave extra battery for the return flight as the TH will have to climb.
I did some searching without much luck. I tried to use words in the post title that would likely be found with searching.

The greatest issue is maintaining LOS with the drone. If you launch from the top of a cliff and descend along the face it won’t be long before you’ll be leaning over so far you’ll follow the drone down after falling off the cliff edge.

Seriously though, there’s no problem flying below launch height. Just allow for the battery time needed to climb back to launch height. Climb throttle consumes battery faster than level or descending flight throttle.

Reactions: Ren57 and Phaedrus
I guess we can't post gifs any more, they keep disappearing? ???

Living in a hilly part of the world I often find myself flying below take-off level. I agree with all the comments above but will add that due to antenna orientation on the aircraft which is optimized to give best results when the aircraft is above the level of the pilot, there will be a reduction of their performance when the aircraft is in negative height, so be mindful that you may loose control and/or video signal at a shorter range than you would expect in a normal flight. Also, at heights below the pilot, depth perception can be an issue so be careful you don't crash into anything.

Reactions: Ren57

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio