Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying for business..

That is beautiful and all done with a standard Typhoon H?

Watch YOUTUBE there are "thousands" of very good, high quality, informative vids on how to take pics and vids with a drone! All free...

Yep, thx... may have watched 80% of them.
But I am always curious about getting the nicest results with our camera.

Cheers!

In the UK flying a drone within 50 metres of a building or within 150 metres of a person is illegal...unless you have an aviation licence / authority! So a drone carrying a camera is all but useless except for flying in a field...making it impossible to build a portfolio...its crazy legislation!
No it isn't.
You may fly as close as you wish to a building if it is deemed to be under your control (you have permission from the owners) and as close to a person as you wish if they are under your control. If the person is not under your control you must keep a 50m separation during the operational flight and 30m whilst taking off and landing. You may fly directly over a person not under your control so long as you maintain at least a 50m separation.

The only difference (as far as I'm aware) to the above for someone with a standard PfCO is that the 150m separation rule for congested areas is reduced to 50m. If you study the Air Navigation Order (2016) sections 94/95 you will see that the rules for hobby fliers aren't as restrictive as some may think. The key is having permissions!

Last edited:
Reactions: samsflite
The key is reading and understanding the rules, inside and out, to have direct knowledge, not "internet hand me downs";)

The key is reading and understanding the rules, inside and out, to have direct knowledge, not "internet hand me downs";)
I agree. To properly understand the rules regarding sUAS operations, then the best source of information is from the country's Aviation Authority that you are flying in. In the U.S.A that's the FAA. In the U.K. it's the CAA.

Whilst internet sources like YouTube, or even this forum for example, are good sources of information, you can still be misinformed. The best unassailable sources of info on the rules is from formally assessed classroom study and/or official aviation authority's publications like the CAAs Air Navigation Order (2016)

Completely agree and why I only use "official" publications when I need info references. People that obtained their 107 certificates as the result of online "crash courses" have been discovering how little they know the rules they have to live by. Their best source of information is the agencies that develop such information. Best part is all that info is free.

Reactions: FlushVision
No it isn't.
You may fly as close as you wish to a building if it is deemed to be under your control (you have permission from the owners) and as close to a person as you wish if they are under your control. If the person is not under your control you must keep a 50m separation during the operational flight and 30m whilst taking off and landing. You may fly directly over a person not under your control so long as you maintain at least a 50m separation.

The only difference (as far as I'm aware) to the above for someone with a standard PfCO is that the 150m separation rule for congested areas is reduced to 50m. If you study the Air Navigation Order (2016) sections 94/95 you will see that the rules for hobby fliers aren't as restrictive as some may think. The key is having permissions!
That is very interesting! I will have to look at that specifically as they may solve my short term issue and allow me to build a portfolio! Excellent post...thank you.

I agree. To properly understand the rules regarding sUAS operations, then the best source of information is from the country's Aviation Authority that you are flying in. In the U.S.A that's the FAA. In the U.K. it's the CAA.

Whilst internet sources like YouTube, or even this forum for example, are good sources of information, you can still be misinformed. The best unassailable sources of info on the rules is from formally assessed classroom study and/or official aviation authority's publications like the CAAs Air Navigation Order (2016)
I contacted the CAA for some clarification and guidance and never got a response! :-(

I contacted the CAA for some clarification and guidance and never got a response! :-(
For a quick guide on the use of UAVs for hobby purposes you can refer to the U.K. Dronecode accessable through the CAAs official web site at Flying drones | UK Civil Aviation Authority

Specifically, a link to the dronecode is here Drone code | Dronesafe

You will clearly see from this official source that you can fly with a 50m separation from individuals and buildings not under your control (50m applies to flying above them too), but a hobby flyer must stay at least 150m away from 'congested' areas (larger groups of people or urban areas). Note that the 150m separation rule for congested areas does not apply to a standard PfCO holder...for such a holder, it is 50m

So, yes, you can fly to 50m of a person/small groups of people and buildings. No reason why you can't start work on your portfolio. Just be safe!

That was very good advice!
Hi again, if you really want "ROI" and business from your drone you have to invest! Last year I produced a post card 14x14cm, high qujality, and sent it to 300 potential drone customers/clients. I had previously tried with mail = no succes at all! This year I have sent almost the same card to another 250 potential drone customers/clients. Last year I got 25 new customers from this campaign and this year it looks like a very good "drone photo year" too as a result of my marketing effort, The total cost (spent time excluded) is about 1,2 Euro / card. The text is in swedish but nevermind you understand thr concept anyway. As I said before realize how important it is to have a back-up RTF drone!!! If not, all your investments and reputation might be gone.. Good Luck from Swedenpostpicture.jpg

Reactions: James (Randy) Smith
So, how many members on here are flying their Typhoon for business rather than recreational uses? How is your Typhoon paying its way?
I am studying the test to fly for business, but don't trust the H 'cause it keeps drifting at 10 feet - after all calibrations,, and now it seems my avoidance can't see what is directly in front of it. I do not trust the H.

I am studying the test to fly for business, but don't trust the H 'cause it keeps drifting at 10 feet - after all calibrations,, and now it seems my avoidance can't see what is directly in front of it. I do not trust the H.
No good Tecneek.. mine are steady like a rock and has always been and behave perfect for all kind of flying! Are you sure your GPS sats are locked? Not just shown at ST16? That's a BIG difference.. Read about GPS TTFF very carefully. You can have to wait 13 minutes before take-off!! I

Last edited:
The above was not being snippish. Different people define "drifting". Different ways. Is it moving from a fixed location a couple of feet? Does it depart a fixed location and slowly continue to drift away without ever stopping? Does it wander in a small or large circle, never getting to far from the center of the circle? The answer to those questions is important, but it would better if you clearly described what you are experiencing.

Do you move the aircraft just after powering it up?

Do you launch immediately after the system says "welcome pilot"?

Are you aware OA does not function below about 6' or so of altitude?

You're looking for answers but not providing enough information to be provided one that's accurate.

So, how many members on here are flying their Typhoon for business rather than recreational uses? How is your Typhoon paying its way?

I am just getting started in the hopes of making a business out of sUAS work. I have my part 107 and I'm starting to establish a brand and presence. My H hasn't paid out yet, but its cool. Right now my goal is to fly as a way to help pay for more equipment and have fun.

www.smyaerial.com

Mine is steady as a rock also...but i wait for good GPS and at least 9 satellites before flying...generally a couple of minutes wait.

Reactions: Rayray

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
x640536786