Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying in Snow

Anyone know if I can fly thy H in light snow and could i turn on real sense or will it think it has to avoid each snow flake?

Now thats funny but who knows :)

I tried to call Tech Support, but they are not working today because of the Holiday

Well I read a post yesterday where the fellow said he tried to fly into the direct sun and it would stop every so often so like I said who knows. I guess if it snows hard enough it could see it and stop. What about fog, any reports about that?.

Anyone know if I can fly thy H in light snow and could i turn on real sense or will it think it has to avoid each snow flake?

If the RH is low, a 5 minute flight should be no problem with GPS working. Leave the RS off.

Reactions: Larry Mohr
I wanted to use RS to fly between trees down an path. right now the snow has picked up a bit so I'll have to wait for it to slow down

Light snow should not be a problem, but it has be be very light. I've flown in several light snowfalls. The upper ventilation openings have some type of fabric behind them that will prevent direct ingestion of snow. However, assure there are no issues with the compass or GPS prior to launch, wait for the satellite count to achieve as many as possible, and watch battery voltage closely. If it's snowing, it's cold, and your battery will not provide as much flight time as when warm. Expect flight time to be reduced by 1/2, or more. Maintain clear line of sight with the H because radio signals can attenuate with the density of the snowfall. If your view of the H becomes hazy because of falling snow it is too far away. Make a large landing pad by clearing the snow in order to avoid interference with the camera. Using RS to avoid obstacles during snowfall would be high risk, IMO.

If your a commercial operator, bear in mind you are required to maintain VFR conditions for every flight so if you don't have 3 mile visibility and 500' clearance under clouds....

Temp is 27 degrees so I'm good there(I only plan on a 10 minute flight in cold weather) vis is 7 miles with an 11 mph wind and a Kp index of 2 so I should be good to go

Well I read a post yesterday where the fellow said he tried to fly into the direct sun and it would stop every so often so like I said who knows. I guess if it snows hard enough it could see it and stop. What about fog, any reports about that?.
But in direct sunlight the realsense module can't properly see objects (much like you can't starting in to the Sun) so it errors on the side of caution.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Here is your chance to share your experience with the forum LOL
Get out there and test it out :)
Make sure you have the video cameras going so we see every angle of success or defeat.

Reactions: djsergeatl
No guts, no glory;), but if a feeling in the pit of your stomach is telling you it's not a good idea, it's not.

Well made it back in one piece, but as I started flying the snow turned to freezing drizzle RS worked great. Flight time sucked , I haven't checked it out yet but I'm guessing about 8 to 10 minutes to the land now lights.
I've flown in colder temps ( About 8 degrees and had a 12 minute flight with more battery left.) Maybe the dampness had something to do with it since there was some light ice on my props and it was a little slugish coming back. It was a little hard to see as I had my glasses on insted of contact. Why the **** did I do that.

Well made it back in one piece, but as I started flying the snow turned to freezing drizzle RS worked great. Flight time sucked , I haven't checked it out yet but I'm guessing about 8 to 10 minutes to the land now lights.
I've flown in colder temps ( About 8 degrees and had a 12 minute flight with more battery left.) Maybe the dampness had something to do with it since there was some light ice on my props and it was a little slugish coming back. It was a little hard to see as I had my glasses on insted of contact. Why the **** did I do that.
Just flew this one Sat night. 8-10 min on each battery, temp around 15 and wind 15-22 mph. If you had ice on the props you were really close to losing the aircraft. I'll fly in varying weather but never freezing rain.

Just flew this one Sat night. 8-10 min on each battery, temp around 15 and wind 15-22 mph. If you had ice on the props you were really close to losing the aircraft. I'll fly in varying weather but never freezing rain.

That's so great, Steve. Please also put it in the Pic & Video Section. A real keeper.

What made it difficult was it was snow when I took offand when I noticed I headed back to land. I never went above 30' but even at that it was hard to land as it would drop quickly but up was not very responsive. Not something I want to try again

Reactions: Steve Carr

Really liked the video. Do you remember the ISO and Shutter speed you were using for this night shot?

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bancadoithuongads