Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying with tethered H

Reaction score
Hi, anyone who can guess or know how long time you can fly with a tethered H w/o overheating the motors or anything else in the drone. Let's say you fly in 25C / 77F.

Hi, anyone who can guess or know how long time you can fly with a tethered H w/o overheating the motors or anything else in the drone.

I doubt the tether would matter as long as it is not a log chain.:)

I doubt the tether would matter as long as it is not a log chain.:)
Guess you mean long chain? But the load of the chain will probably compensate by the less weight of the smaller battery? So one can fly "forever"?

Guess you mean long chain? But the load of the chain will probably compensate the less weight of the battery? So one can fly "forever"?

I misunderstood. Did not know you meant a powered tether w/o using a battery. My bad.
I have no idea, if it is a commercial setup, the manufacturer should be able to advise.

Put a thermocouple on a couple of ESC's and motors to baseline the temps. Run thermocouples up to the system to monitor temps. When you observe a delta large enough to generate concerns, land. When there's no reference data you have to develop your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread going on at this forum where Ralphy is expressing his thoughts on the matter. He estimates a design for this system for maybe 400 dollars. Even at twice this price a bargain!

It's not difficult to make such an arrangement less expensive, the problem comes from turning a profit from your efforts. If you make something that costs you $150.00 in parts, requires 5 hours of labor @ $25.00/hour to assemble, $3.00 for labels, $2.00 for printing instructions, 3 hours of copy writing at various websites to advertise, $30.00 to ship, add for sales and business taxes, etc., you have to sell it for more than the ~$541.00 you have into it. Typical "add on" starts at ~5x production costs so you're at ~$2705.00. Of course you can discount that but if you only sell one or two of them you didn't make much for the month or more of effort you put into the design work, which is certainly compensable time, unless you like working for free. Within 3 months of your product release one or more Chinese companies will have obtained one, reverse engineered it, and started making their own cut rate version and put you out of business selling their at 1/10th the price of yours at Amazon or mtyourwallettech.com. Of course most of those will break within a month or so and with a no return of electrical stuff policy, or perpetual delays in CS response you'll be out of luck, but consumers only see the list price comparisons when they make buying decisions. So you add even more to your selling price to allow for the fact you'll be out of business within a couple months of the product release.

The real issue is a remote power system for a multirotor is it's a solution looking for a problem that for the most part doesn't exist. There are very few (and there are some) real life instances where a camera mounted on a rigid or telescoping pole or an aerostat fails to be less expensive in both direct and maintenance costs and have longer duration. Such arrangements are/can be easily automated for operation or controlled remotely from a single joystick by a relatively untrained operator. Exacerbating the cost differences, you can use a much, much better imagery system on both the pole and aerostat than you can on a multirotor and operate them from much further away while distributing the product in real time to multiple recipients across the world. Such is and has been done for decades, and it works. The application has to be practical for the condition, which means a comparative cost analysis must be performed when considering this kind of stuff.

This is a bit frustrating...

FYI, Ralphy is not the first one to show up on this forum claiming to be able to make it cheaper.

And I'm still really confused about hobby or recreational use. Someone please give me an example of using a power tether just for fun. Why would that be fun?

I was just sayin'.
Besides Ralphy is not just someone claim[ng things, he does make things happen. There are a few guys on this forum that really change the world of H. Ralphy is one of them.

Be my guest doing better.

Reactions: Ralphy
My bad. I shouldn't have singled out Ralphy.

It's not about any one person. It's was ALL the derogatory comments, especially about cost.

PatR agrees it can't be produced for $400. Usually that means it can't be MADE for that much.

So if you go make a cheap knockoff of the real thing, the other is useless? See Rolex.

If Ralphy gets those DIY tethers up for sale fast enough, he'll prove PatR wrong, selling them before the Chinese get them on Amazon!!

Undercutting an american company from your home state? Yes, I'll do better.

Matchy,

I don't entirely disagree with you, and I'm certainly not denigrating Ralphy. Ralphy will have an opportunity to sell his design, for awhile, and I hope he does to help satisfy those seeking such a product. It would follow the same path his Typhoon H battery adapters and after market battery shells that followed. A few weeks of reasonably brisk sales until the Chinese or others geared up to make and sell them cheaper at eBay and Amazon. Customers everywhere flock to those locations to shop prices.

Please take the following with some amusement;
Sure, the Rolex example is a good one, if you happen to be wealthy, but the wealthy didn't get that way bypassing bargains along the way;)

It's was ALL the derogatory comments, especially about cost.

PatR agrees it can't be produced for $400. Usually that means it can't be MADE for that much.

As an enterpreneur in aerial products and services I am of course aware of the field of tension between wishful thinking and pricing. That is why I have put it like this: quote "He estimates a design for this system for maybe 400 dollars. Even at twice this price a bargain!" end of quote, thus expressing my thoughts about this price estimate being to low and 800 is more likely to be a basic rate to consider. Still a lot less then the "combined dog leash, fishing reel, and battery charger" Matchy linked.

Nobody said or claimed an original or expensive varyity of some tech item will become useless if a cheaper one is being marketed. Neither do I expect Ralphy's project to become a clone of the already marketed one.
Nevertheless one can find that a Rolex is to expensive and buy a Baume & Mercier watch that delivers the same product: a time telling device.

:)

Hi, if you aren't a chartity organisation your company sell products or services in order to earn money. Rule nbr 1. The way you can earn money is through window cleaning, taxi services, selling ice cream, cars or even equipment to tether a drone. The market price depends on competion and what the customer are willing to pay. Alot in the beginning, less later on as the competion increases and the market saturate. Talking of material and labour cost is crazy. It's the same as my own drone photo & video service. 18 month ago I had two competitors where I live (Stockholm), today i have eleven! Best from Sweden.

A good way to pontificate and have fun while getting people to think about what has to happen before a product comes to market though[emoji3]

And that can't be avoided, here.
But, you never know who's reading. These posts don't just disappear. I was surprised and offended by your comments.
You usually provide good information in your posts along with your subjectivity.

Long toes?

Never mind. Although your response was on PatR's posting I wont post anymore on this topic, which does not even interest me much.
And.... talking of bashing is really a bit overdone, don't you think?

:confused:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval