Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying within overlapping FBOs does LAANC cover all?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone I'm looking for some clarification. I live on the fringe of the 5 mile radius of Hancock International Airport (KSYR) which supports LAANC. Some of the areas I'm looking to fly fall within the radius of that airport and two separate hospital heliports. Does a LAANC authorization negate the need to contact the heliport operations directly or should I still be contacting them to notify them of my flights? Thanks for the help, still trying to figure all this out.

Are you flying for recreation or Part 107? If 107 LAANC covers controlled airspace only. LAANC is not currently available for recreational sUAS use.

And what do you mean by "FBOs?" They have nothing to do with authorizations to operate.

Ok, got the lingo wrong but I’m sorted out on that now. Thanks :). As far as recreational vs. 107 let’s say both? Right now I’m just trying to build up a portfolio but not sure if that would count as falling under 107...

If you intend to use those phtos for a business purpose/portfolio, that is absolutely 107 land. Recreational is only don for the joy of flying with no other intention in mind.

If you intend to use those phtos for a business purpose/portfolio, that is absolutely 107 land. Recreational is only don for the joy of flying with no other intention in mind.
And be advised that the FAA uses an unrealistically broad definiton of what constitutes commercial activity. Some FSDO's would probably define portfolio building as an activity that requires a part 107 license. Since it is fairly easy to get one, I'd recommend getting one, especially if you are already a private pilot.

I’ve got my 107, thanks! So back to my original question... do I still need to reach out to the heliports separately or does a LAANC authorization cover that?

I’ve got my 107, thanks! So back to my original question... do I still need to reach out to the heliports separately or does a LAANC authorization cover that?

There is no longer a requirement to "reach out" to heliports. There never was for 107 and new FAA guidelines for recreational flying do not require you to do so.
Everything is driven by airspace. In controlled airspace everybody needs authorization to fly. Either through LAANC if available, or DroneZone.
In uncontrolled airspace there are no notification requirements for either 107 or recreational, but you are limited to 400-feet agl and must maintain VLOS and avoid conflicts with manned aircraft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval