Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

They removed part 107.41 (Flying in controlled airspace) from the waiver application

Reaction score
I don't know what this means. I'm trying to get a waiver to fly near an airport and there is no way to apply for it. Explanation in the guideline says this:

§ 107.41 Operation in certain airspace
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).

Guidelines for the Applicant
  1. Provide a method to ensure the small unmanned aircraft will operate safely and efficiently within the specified controlled airspace.
  2. Provide a means for immediate communication with the Pilot in Command (PIC) during UAS operations if ATC deems necessary.

Does this mean that I just need authorization from the tower and not a waiver? The explanation mentions nothing about a waiver from the FAA.

If you do not have prior authorization you will have to get a waiver. Waivers can last as long as 365 days without asking again. you Just have to mention you want it for x amount of days and why. When you apply for a waiver you want to be as descriptive as possible. #1. yes. #2 some ATC I would assume but most likely not will want to have contact, but they are to busy with normal airplanes, unless the controllers are board to death.:rolleyes:

Ok, so I called the Ops Manager at Dallas Love Field. He explained that it has been split into two forms now, one for controlled airspace and one for everything else. I found the one for controlled airspace and filled it out. He also helped me out by telling me about the "area wide authorization." you can apply to fly in the entire airspace and not just the pinpointed area that you will be in that week. Also, the auth can go for two years. This stuff changes every time I look at it.

That you obtained that kind of help from such a source is astounding. Thank him profusely.

I just received acknowledgement for an air space authorization I filed 6/1/17. It took them 2 1/2 months just to knowledge that they received it. Got to love government.Now wait 2 or 3 month more to get a rejection notice and start over again.

Ok, so I called the Ops Manager at Dallas Love Field. He explained that it has been split into two forms now, one for controlled airspace and one for everything else. I found the one for controlled airspace and filled it out. He also helped me out by telling me about the "area wide authorization." you can apply to fly in the entire airspace and not just the pinpointed area that you will be in that week. Also, the auth can go for two years. This stuff changes every time I look at it.
Wow! you must have bribed him with MacDonald's or something like that? Congrats.
Oh, however there is a rule in which the ops manager may reject you but you can over ride him and fly anyway. You still have to get permission from ATC regardless, they have the final say so!

FAA area wide authorization information
Request a Part 107 Waiver or Operation in Controlled Airspace

Last edited:
Many thanks for bringing this to our attention, I'm addressing some photographers and videographers on drones this week and I will inform them of this change.

I'm manager and part owner of a private airport. The process here is either verbal or in writing (e-mail works), although I recommend getting it in writing to be clear. For an RC field, it's a one time blanket agreement. For the "casual" flier, it's basically short term. I get 2-3 requests a month for a one or two day use by either a photographer or somebody involved with forestry. I think it's supposed to be a 5 day prior, but one day is fine for me....just so if there is any chance of a conflict I can get the word out.

My home is in the Class C airspace of a military airfield. I know most of the base ATC personnel (from work before I picked up this hobby). It's gotten to the point they say "Your back yard? You're not going higher than 200'? Enjoy!" The only time I hear anything different is the rare event when the restricted area is active and they say "uh.. the RA is active, wait an hour, okay?" They have my cell phone in case they need to reach me (only did so once so far, to let me know a Medevac helo was coming nearby but shouldn't be a factor because they would be at 1500' - I landed until it was past anyway). Just to be aware, I have a little radio (Baofeng UV-5R) that I set to their CT frequency any time I fly in their airspace (or whatever CT or advisory, etc freq applies wherever I happen to be).

On the "look out for this" side, I've recently had an .. encounter with a mis-informed and over-zealous local sheriff's deputy. He told me no, I can't fly and he's taking my gear if I do. I demanded that he show me justification for that statement in writing. He couldn't (go figure). My next email went to the Sheriff (capitalized to refer to the elected guy this time, a personal friend), and this deputy won't be bothering me (or other local "droners") again. Nor will any others.

Since that encounter, a co-worker (who's a 40-year military controller and 35-year CFII & Ground School Instructor told me something interesting. I don't know if this applies to civilian world, but I see no reason it wouldn't: since I'm in the base' airspace [surface to 2500] and have authorization from that tower, **NO** other authority can tell me I can't. Anyone that tries is usurping the CT's authority over their airspace and is subject to potential Federal charges (which the base field watch supervisor - another friend - has since confirmed they *will* press - a civil airport may or may not, but a military field is nearly guaranteed to do so).

Lesson? If you're near a field, talk to the tower. Every time. Be friendly, be cooperative, be professional. Make the conversation easier on them: have the lat/lon or the radial/range from their radar of the subject location. Address likely means nothing to them. Make them an ally. Log who you spoke to and when, and the parameters of your "clearance" (location, altitude, timeframe, etc). If you need to prove it later, that won't be a problem, as airfield communications are recorded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jester

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maahdevbook