Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Focusing CGO3 Lens

Reaction score
I focused my lens and the changes are dramatic.
Before adjustment
YUN00001.jpg
After adjustment Jpg raw
YUN00016.jpg
after adjustment Jpg Gorgeous
YUN00017.jpg

Here is what I did which doesn't require anything but a table or a smartphone and doesn't require you to go back and forth to a computer to compare the images. This may be useful to some people.
1. Take of the camera and loosen the glue so you can move the lens. (there is enough information on how to do that on the forums.)
2. Set the drone in a big room or outside and turn it on.
3. If not installed, install cgo3 app on your phone or tablet.
4. Connect your tablet to the cgo3 wifi (just do a search for wifi networks and choose the one that starts with cgo3, password is 1234567890
5. Now you can use the cgo3 app to control the camera. change the settings to photo, Jpeg, raw. But I use st 16 for this step.
6. Take a picture using st16 or your phone. (I recommend st 16). this is your starting point.
7. In your phone/tablet open a web browser and go to http://192.168.42.1 This is the root directory of the sdcard in your camera. See picture below.
Screenshot_20160711-193251.png
8. Click 100media link and you will see a list of all the pictures/videos on your sd card.
Screenshot_20160711-193323.png
9. Click and hold on the last jpg file in the list. This is the picture that you just took.
Screenshot_20160711-193349.png
10. Choose open in new tab. This will open the picture in a new tab. You can zoom on any area you wish.
11. Move the lens clockwise or counterclockwise a little bit. (I had to do clockwise on mine to get better focus, your mileage may vary). What we are trying to do is to figure out if we are going to make it better or worse by moving in a direction.
12. Take another picture with st16.
13. On your tablet/phone go back to the browser tab with the list of pictures and refresh.
14. you should be able to see the filename for the new picture you just took (last one on the list). open that picture in a new tab as you did in step 9.
15. Zoom in a suitable area of the pictures to compare the sharpness. If your last picture is sharper, your direction is correct, if it is softer, you need to turn the lens to the other direction. You can compare the pictures by switching between tabs. Or you can borrow another tablet and have 2 going at the same time side by side. You CAN connect multiple devices to CGO3 at the same time and browse to the pictures. I had my phone and tablet connected at the same time.
16. Repeat steps 10 thru 15 until you get the best picture. It is trial and error, I had to screw in my lens about 1/5th of a turn to find the optimal point. At one point you may need to turn the lens backwards as you will eventually pass the sweet spot.

Using a tablet or a phone eliminates the need to take the sdcard back to the computer to compare pictures. Trying to do this with st16 connected to a tv is really hard as it is hard to see detail in 720P and you cant zoom in to a part of the picture

Let me know if you have any questions.

Before adjustment
View attachment 1875
After adjustment Jpg raw
View attachment 1867
after adjustment Jpg Gorgeous
View attachment 1868

Here is what I did which doesn't require anything but a table or a smartphone and doesn't require you to go back and forth to a computer to compare the images. This may be useful to some people.
1. Take of the camera and loosen the glue so you can move the lens. (there is enough information on how to do that on the forums.)
2. Set the drone in a big room or outside and turn it on.
3. If not installed, install cgo3 app on your phone or tablet.
4. Connect your tablet to the cgo3 wifi (just do a search for wifi networks and choose the one that starts with cgo3, password is 1234567890
5. Now you can use the cgo3 app to control the camera. change the settings to photo, Jpeg, raw. But I use st 16 for this step.
6. Take a picture using st16 or your phone. (I recommend st 16). this is your starting point.
7. In your phone/tablet open a web browser and go to http://192.168.42.1 This is the root directory of the sdcard in your camera. See picture below.
View attachment 1872
8. Click 100media link and you will see a list of all the pictures/videos on your sd card.
View attachment 1873
9. Click and hold on the last jpg file in the list. This is the picture that you just took.
View attachment 1874
10. Choose open in new tab. This will open the picture in a new tab. You can zoom on any area you wish.
11. Move the lens clockwise or counterclockwise a little bit. (I had to do clockwise on mine to get better focus, your mileage may vary). What we are trying to do is to figure out if we are going to make it better or worse by moving in a direction.
12. Take another picture with st16.
13. On your tablet/phone go back to the browser tab with the list of pictures and refresh.
14. you should be able to see the filename for the new picture you just took (last one on the list). open that picture in a new tab as you did in step 9.
15. Zoom in a suitable area of the pictures to compare the sharpness. If your last picture is sharper, your direction is correct, if it is softer, you need to turn the lens to the other direction. You can compare the pictures by switching between tabs. Or you can borrow another tablet and have 2 going at the same time side by side. You CAN connect multiple devices to CGO3 at the same time and browse to the pictures. I had my phone and tablet connected at the same time.
16. Repeat steps 10 thru 15 until you get the best picture. It is trial and error, I had to screw in my lens about 1/5th of a turn to find the optimal point. At one point you may need to turn the lens backwards as you will eventually pass the sweet spot.

Using a tablet or a phone eliminates the need to take the sdcard back to the computer to compare pictures. Trying to do this with st16 connected to a tv is really hard as it is hard to see detail in 720P and you cant zoom in to a part of the picture

Let me know if you have any questions.

Great write-up, think I will see if I can tweak mine further. I already improved it over stock setting.
I was also thinking of using my headplay goggles plugged into the hdmi.

By the way what where you doing on the roof? LOL

Nice write-up Tolgademir, I like to see people trying to get the most out of the H. I think everyone agrees the camera is not perfect but it is also not complete garbage and I've seen pretty impressive things done with the H camera. Anyway, just wait a few minutes and unfortunately people will start dumping on it for some reason. But defiantly night and day difference. Quick question before adjustment that's .jpg raw as well correct?

Jimmy , I wasn't on the roof. Lol. I have a window upstairs that I could set the H in that overlooks my backyard. Hdmi output is really low resolution (basically 1k versus the actual jpegs that are 12k.) So I think this method may get better results especially since one can zoom in.

Malibi_rod. Yes I made all the adjustments with jpeg raw. I didn't want the camera to sharpen the image with post-processing. So that I can get the sharpest optical focus.

Jpeg gorgeous is the one that looks even better since it is sharpened in the camera. You can take the jpeg raw and post process in a pc and get a slightly better image.

Mine looks very similar to yours. Thanks for posting; going to adjust focus and see how it goes. I think Yuneec needs to work on the firmware, hoping in next update. I know everyone is saying use manual focus, but Auto should work good enough without the large swings in exposure changes going from light to dark and vice versa. There are times when the copter is in the air later evening and sun out when pointing to the horizon away from the sun it is too dark, if I tilt the camera it suddenly lightens up.

For manual settings, what are you guys using? I know there's a formula, but always forget. This time I'll write it down, promise. I've been using 1080p 30 fps.

App is available on the appstore for Apple devices and on Google play store for android. You really don't need the app, I use the st16 to make adjustments and take pictures. I use the phone or tablet to browse the contents of the sd card and look at the pictures.

All you need to do on your phone is to connect to the cgo wifi and browse to 192.168.42.1

Tolga I used your technique today to focus.
I thought I had it really close at 30 feet but wanted to refocus at about 80 feet.
Using my iPad and the zoom was able to get it spot on.
Thanks

You say there is info in the forums for this, but I can't find it. Can you link one?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval