Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Footage Jitter

TPL

Reaction score
Evening,

I captured some footage today and upon playback I've noticed some jitter in the footage. This is apparent in both the raw file and the one I have rendered via Davinci Resolve @ 1080 30fps.

I just want some advice, please, so I know if I am being overcritical and expecting too much, or if I am experiencing an issue with my camera or SD card, or something else.

The below video was captured at 2560x1440 30fps. I am using a Panasonic class 10 U3 card. My PC is high end, so can cross that off the list. Plus the YouTube version does exactly the same on PC and phone when played back.

Through-out the video I can see an obvious jitter, almost like a frame is missing/has been skipped. For example it is obvious at 1:35 - 1:45.

Has anyone else noticed this? Could it possibly be due to the recording at 30fps? Could it be gimbal stutter?

Thanks

Reactions: yuneec53
Evening,

I captured some footage today and upon playback I've noticed some jitter in the footage. This is apparent in both the raw file and the one I have rendered via Davinci Resolve @ 1080 30fps.

I just want some advice, please, so I know if I am being overcritical and expecting too much, or if I am experiencing an issue with my camera or SD card, or something else.

The below video was captured at 2560x1440 30fps. I am using a Panasonic class 10 U3 card. My PC is high end, so can cross that off the list. Plus the YouTube version does exactly the same on PC and phone when played back.

Through-out the video I can see an obvious jitter, almost like a frame is missing/has been skipped. For example it is obvious at 1:35 - 1:45.

Has anyone else noticed this? Could it possibly be due to the recording at 30fps? Could it be gimbal stutter?

Thanks

Viewing on my iPhone it's not noticeable but probably due to the small screen. My laptops dead at the moment. Jitter is usually caused by either unbalanced props (unlikely unless you've had a scrape or ding with one and it's damaged) or the rubber supports of the gimbal not all being clipped in properly and causing tiny vibrations where it's wobbling. Worth checking those things first.
I live about 5 minutes from Hylands House! Are you local to chelmsford, and did anyone say anything about you flying there?

A jittery appearance, more obvious at times. You might film at other resolutions and frame rates before making a final determination.

Hi samsflite,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have never had a crash/scrape/ding etc, so think I can rule that out.

Just took the gimbal off and the first thing I notice is that only 2 of the 4 rubber supports have a protruding plastic stopper. The other two just have a hole. Is that as expected? See this photo: Dropbox - DSC_0997.JPG

Small word, I am based in Gidea Park, so just down the road. Didn't have any issues re flying at Hylands or around the house. I was on the bench opposite, so not out of sight and other than some curious dog walkers, had no problems. My first time flying over there and will no doubt return as a great location with plenty of space.

A jittery appearance, more obvious at times. You might film at other resolutions and frame rates before making a final determination.

Thanks Rayray. To date I have been using 1080 @ 60fps and not noticed it before. I was just worried an issue has come to light since then, but fingers crossed just that resolution causing the problem. I'll report back once i've had another flight.

Hi samsflite,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have never had a crash/scrape/ding etc, so think I can rule that out.

Just took the gimbal off and the first thing I notice is that only 2 of the 4 rubber supports have a protruding plastic stopper. The other two just have a hole. Is that as expected? See this photo: Dropbox - DSC_0997.JPG

Small word, I am based in Gidea Park, so just down the road. Didn't have any issues re flying at Hylands or around the house. I was on the bench opposite, so not out of sight and other than some curious dog walkers, had no problems. My first time flying over there and will no doubt return as a great location with plenty of space.

That's great, I might have to pop down there then when the weathers nice. We should fly together sometime maybe, would be good.

The two clips are normal (that's what mine has), and if all rubber dampeners are sat in their holes correctly and not loose then you can probably rule out something mechanical and try a different frame rate and see if there's any difference. Otherwise could be a phone call to Yuneec as may be faulty gimbal/camera.

I've had the same issue using Davinci Resolve when rendering to 1080p. It's probably my lack of knowledge using it, but does happen.

I've had the same issue using Davinci Resolve when rendering to 1080p. It's probably my lack of knowledge using it, but does happen.

Thanks glider. My first thought was the render settings, but it does the same when rendering at the native resolution. Also having checked out the raw video file (via VLC), it is exactly the same, in the same places. So ruled that out as the cause.

That's great, I might have to pop down there then when the weathers nice. We should fly together sometime maybe, would be good.

The two clips are normal (that's what mine has), and if all rubber dampeners are sat in their holes correctly and not loose then you can probably rule out something mechanical and try a different frame rate and see if there's any difference. Otherwise could be a phone call to Yuneec as may be faulty gimbal/camera.

Thanks for confirming. All the dampeners appear to be as they should with nothing standing out as wrong/loose. Will get out ASAP and test another resolution, fingers crossed thats the cause.

Didn't want to get in touch with Yuneec CS until I have ruled out anything I might be missing. Although have contacted them a couple of times since owning the TH and I must say that my experience to date has been spot on.

Would be up for a meet up over Hylands one day, would be good having some company from a fellow TH owner :)

Evening,

Thanks

I don't believe it's a camera issue because when the image is not moving there is no jitter, but when objects in the frame move there is jitter which is a classic speed writing problem. Problem is either the speed at which the camera writes to the card or the speed at which the graphics card on your computer refreshes (some rendering programs use the horsepower of your graphics card).

I don't believe it's a camera issue because when the image is not moving there is no jitter, but when objects in the frame move there is jitter which is a classic speed writing problem. Problem is either the speed at which the camera writes to the card or the speed at which the graphics card on your computer refreshes (some rendering programs use the horsepower of your graphics card).
Good point. Perhaps trying a different card would be worth a shot.

Yes the class 10 U3 16GB card is the one that they recommend I think you can go up to 32 GB but anything above 32 could give you a problem

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval