Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Forward camera mount for the H520/Typhoon H/Typhoon H Plus

Reaction score
Ever since owning a Typhoon H and now the H520, I have always been annoyed with how easily the props come into view of the camera when flying at any speed or if the weather conditions are a bit bumpy. It has ruined more than one video sequence I have shot. So now I decided to do something about it. With my prototype forward camera mount, no matter how aggressively I fly the props never come into view, even flying full speed in reverse to full speed forward!
The mount is fitted and removed in seconds, with no modification needed to the airframe whatsoever. The camera is also not modified in any way. I did think the extra forward weight would affect the flying characteristics, but the H520 compensates with no issues. This mount would also work with the Typhoon H and Typhoon H Plus.

For if not, I have no news ?

Kev, are you gonna explain how you did it? I'm interested ?

Reactions: Kev Waite
Not a bad idea as long as it doesn’t over work the flight system. Similar in concept to how the camera was mounted on the Mavrik, Falcon 8, Anafi, and old Spider frames. Ahead of the frame instead of under it.

Not a bad idea as long as it doesn’t over work the flight system. Similar in concept to how the camera was mounted on the Mavrik, Falcon 8, Anafi, and old Spider frames. Ahead of the frame instead of under it.
I did have concerns if flight stability would be affected. On take off you notice the back of the landing skids starting to lift first, but before the H520 leaves the ground the flight controller has compensated and the take off is level. Flying, I couldn't tell the difference with the camera in the standard position or forward.

There have to be differences. But it's as simple as taking off with determination, without regard, a sudden acceleration and you avoid pitching problems. Once in the air you don't notice anything because the controller compensates for the unbalanced weight. This means that the front engines work more than the rear ones when you move forward, they have to compensate by carrying more weight in front. Nothing that any controller does not do automatically, no problem.

Keep in mind that the consumption will rise slightly for this type of compensation but is not anything drastic if it is worth using the adapter on certain occasions, when you anticipate that you will make fast flights and want to avoid the propellers appear in image. When you do not do this type of flight is better to use the standard mount.

Normally it is compensated by moving back the battery and the drone would be balanced again. As with the H520 we can not do it, the engines take care of it. The other way to do it without changing the objective of the camera, so that the propellers don't come out in the image, is to lower the camera instead of advancing it, in this occasion it wouldn't affect the horizontal balance but if a little to the vertical, every change of the center of gravity influences, although I think that in less measure than horizontally, but increases the danger in the takeoffs and landings.

It's all trouble, you'll say, it's better to leave it as it comes. No, we know what the consequences are and we use the adapter when we are going to take advantage of it.

I see it very useful in certain shots, in the end is just one more tool for our little orange ?

Reactions: Kev Waite
There have to be differences. But it's as simple as taking off with determination, without regard, a sudden acceleration and you avoid pitching problems. Once in the air you don't notice anything because the controller compensates for the unbalanced weight. This means that the front engines work more than the rear ones when you move forward, they have to compensate by carrying more weight in front. Nothing that any controller does not do automatically, no problem.

Keep in mind that the consumption will rise slightly for this type of compensation but is not anything drastic if it is worth using the adapter on certain occasions, when you anticipate that you will make fast flights and want to avoid the propellers appear in image. When you do not do this type of flight is better to use the standard mount.

Normally it is compensated by moving back the battery and the drone would be balanced again. As with the H520 we can not do it, the engines take care of it. The other way to do it without changing the objective of the camera, so that the propellers don't come out in the image, is to lower the camera instead of advancing it, in this occasion it wouldn't affect the horizontal balance but if a little to the vertical, every change of the center of gravity influences, although I think that in less measure than horizontally, but increases the danger in the takeoffs and landings.

It's all trouble, you'll say, it's better to leave it as it comes. No, we know what the consequences are and we use the adapter when we are going to take advantage of it.

I see it very useful in certain shots, in the end is just one more tool for our little orange ?
I thought of taking off quickly to avoid any balance issues, but decided to take off very slowly and it really wasn't an issue at all. The camera with the adapter is lower than the standard setup and if it was any lower would touch the ground and would need longer landing legs, which would then cause problems fitting it into the Yuneec backpack. I might get some thicker foam ends for the landing legs to give a little more clearance.

I didn't notice how far the camera went down. But yes, it can't go further down :)

The fact that the adapter is removable is also very good, in seconds you put it on or take it off.

By any chance, have you weighed it?

I like the idea more and more ?

I didn't notice how far the camera went down. But yes, it can't go further down :)

The fact that the adapter is removable is also very good, in seconds you put it on or take it off.

By any chance, have you weighed it?

I like the idea more and more ?
I've just weighed it and at the moment it is 65g, but this is likely to drop for the final version

Reactions: arruntus

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval