Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Fox News - Tucker Carlson Drone Report

Reaction score
Tucker Carlson at it again. Fox News just aired him saying that there should be a height limit of maybe 200 feet above someone else's property, and that he should be able to shoot it down with a shotgun.

Old bowtie used to have a good show on PBS way back when, I enjoyed it most of the time because he seemed sincere about his views and stories. They fired him due to the liberal PBS crowd complaining about his views. After that he was nowhere to be seen until his mother got him into MSNBC and then FOX (I hear his mother has all the strings, take with a grain of salt) and Tuck just became another of many mouthpiece/talking heads.

I'd bet money he and/or his mother are big investors in Amazon and just trying to pave the way for the 200-400' corporate profit airspace. It is also possible his mentioning of the 200' mark is simply to make it easier to shoot them down, as he states he wants to do, but what a peculiar height to pick for his point ;) Maybe he went to a gun range and realized he was not accurate at 201', but bullseye at 200' :) Most shotgun ammo is useless at 200'.

It gets easier and easier to follow the money (for those without the power to truly hide it), even when I'm wrong, the evidence is usually overwhelming.

Reactions: CC Rider
Obviously not aware of the laws. It's now a felony -- yep that's right - a FELONY to shoot down or prevent a drone from flying within the FAA reserved drone airspace up to 400' above ANY unrestricted PROPERTY. (unrestricted in terms of other classified FAA determined airspace such as airports, FRZ's, TFR's etc). So -- the ill advised will always speak opinions they know nothing about. Perhaps the FAA needs to require the public at large to get licensed for making such comments as well! LOL.

Reference: In 2016 the FAA "allowed" drones to fly below 400’ to prevent interference with planes, and makes it a felony for a landowner to block drones flying through the lower altitudes regardless of ownership. (F.R. 2016 6-28-2016 Pgs 42063- 42214 DOC #: 2016-15079)

Reactions: Jester and THoff
In the United States, one of the great things our founding fathers did was to give lawmakers the relative ease to create new laws. Unfortunately they didn't provide an equally easy way to repeal them so what you end up with are laws layered on laws which supersede previous laws which we're buried in. It's funny how politicians promise to change the world until they take charge, then realize their promised changes are locked up in legal cement like contracts, treaties, etc. so the small percentage of things they can change usually bring pain and anguish to others.

I think George Carlin summed it up best when he said "All you you need to know about life is, it consists of a bunch of f----r's who want to tell another bunch of f----r's what to do." Actually think about that... and look around... I think you'll be amazed how much that applies to pretty much everything that's happening in the world from how we relate to one another as individuals, politics, religions, countries, etc.

I know it's cliche but, "Can't we all just get along?" Man I love Monte Python's Holy Grail -

Arthur: We are all Britons! And I am your king.
Woman: I didn't know we 'ad a king! I thought we were autonomous collective.
Man: (mad) You're fooling yourself! We're living in a dictatorship! A self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes--
Woman: There you go, bringing class into it again...
Man: That's what it's all about! If only people would--

BTW - When did we become so paranoid and cowardly as a nation? Personally I'm a firm believer in leave me alone and I'll leave you alone. It's a simple foundation really - Respect others and don't steal their stuff.

(Paranoid part) People need to resist the temptation to assume every flying drone is spying on them and invading their privacy. You're probably not that da-n interesting anyway.

(Respect others part) Shoot first and ask questions later may sound good at first but it's bad, and illegal so don't do it.

Ok, ok, I'm done ranting now....

Good luck if you try and fight things like that in court.

Attachments

• Boggs Opinion - Dismissal March 2017.pdf
    221.1 KB · Views: 22
I still hate the word "DRONE" My RC glider is a drone. It is way bigger than the H, can fly higher and faster, has a prop on it, is very quiet when the motor is not running, and I can mount a camera on it. In the right wind conditions I can almost hover it. But yet they call it an RC airplane not a drone.

I watched the program last night and got a different impression. From what I remember of the conversation, the FAA claims all airspace above ground level as their domain. I believe the 400' limit on UAV's is to allow a 100' cushion for the 500' minimum AGL for piloted aircraft. I think the 200' minimum above private property is being considered, or being discussed, to allow some "privacy" above the property owner's land. I could be wrong on all of this though.

I like Tucker, and the way he handles some of the ridiculous ideas of some of his guests, but I don't like the fact that he suggested using a shotgun to "shoot them down".

Just my personal thoughts on the subject...

Reactions: AZSteveB and THoff
I think people will get arrested for discharging a firearm into the air within city limits. No matter what they are shooting at. That's already the law as far as I know. It wouldn't be too smart to make any exceptions.

Reactions: ThunderChicken
I like tucker too, not sure how he wound up on the controversy of flying drones ? But perhaps he thought his own privacy was jeaprodized by paparazzi ?

Folks,

There's no 400' limit on model aircraft used for hobby/recreational purposes. Only for commercial use aircraft. The full text covering altitudes of use is found in FAA docs Parts 336 and 107.

Reactions: JizzyGillespie
Patr,
There has always been a 400 ft limit o. Rc craft commercial or not. It's just has been brought into the mainstream attention due to the boom of "drones" multi rotors I to the consumer market. Last thing we need is people thinking they don't have to follow the laws because they don't do it for profit.

I think people will get arrested for discharging a firearm into the air within city limits. No matter what they are shooting at. That's already the law as far as I know. It wouldn't be too smart to make any exceptions.
That's not exactly true. In the city of Garland, you are allowed (or at least was allowed) to shoot firearms on your property as long as the projectile stayed on your property. A friend of mine has a 50 foot indoor shooting range at his house in city limits. In a residential neighborhood.

FOX / Tucker - Sorry, I didn't see the discussion being about guns and didn't mean to start a gun conversation.
This is just a rant campaign by a (news?) network looking for increased ratings (Megyn who?) to boost ad sales.
I think you're right, that this discussion doesn't belong in this thread but it is a direct assault upon us and our hobby and should be discussed. Maybe move this thread from "Typhoon" to the "General Discussion" board?
Personally I don't like being perceived as belonging to a group of "peeping toms". If none of us stand up, well, we all know what happens. Enough -M

Tucker Carlson at it again. Fox News just aired him saying that there should be a height limit of maybe 200 feet above someone else's property, and that he should be able to shoot it down with a shotgun.
Maybe someone should give him a drone and he may change his opinion. I like Tucker but sometimes he say things that are off the wall.

Patr,
There has always been a 400 ft limit o. Rc craft commercial or not.
SW, I don't know where you are getting "always". Read the FAA regulations that Pat referenced.
But the lack of a 400' AGL limit for hobby flying puts more responsibility on us for safe operation of our RC aircraft.

SW, I don't know where you are getting "always". Read the FAA regulations that Pat referenced.
But the lack of a 400' AGL limit for hobby flying puts more responsibility on us for safe operation of our RC aircraft.
So your saying I can fly as high as I want and as far as I want and where I want as long as I don't fly for money?

Well, there's still the VLOS requirement, and not interfering with manned aircraft requirement, and the 5-miles from an airport requirement, and not flying over crowds of people requirement. There are still plenty of safety requirements, even for hobby pilots. What we DON'T want are more regulations imposed because of unmanned aerial vehicles being flown in an unsafe manner, endangering life, property or privacy.

Reactions: ArnhemAnt
Right. Those were there before "drones" were big. They just weren't publicized because there was not an issue. But because of the idiots who fly unsafe around airports over stadiums into building, onto the white house etc. It caused for a more stringent formal outline.

Reactions: ArnhemAnt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval